Monoliths, reserves, and blocked access points. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monoliths, reserves, and blocked access points.

After a rather epic game last night in a 2000pt Blood Ravens vs. Necron slugfest, we came upon a situation I never thought of.

He had a monolith on the board, and used it rather well, though I think there may have been a bit of a mix-up when he used the flux arc and the power-matrix pie-plate in the same turn.

However, I brought a squad into base-contact with the front of the thing, in a futile attempt to have my Chapter Master and Vet Sargeant try to damage it with their powerfists (which is another well-travelled gray-area, I'll admit). The big thing is, at the beginning of his turn, his reserve squad finally came in.

I'm left wondering what should have happened in that situation. They were meant to be brought in via the monolith. But, my squad was blocking the exit portal. Now, are they subject to the same rules as a transport vehicle, or what?

Last edited by Aronhiawakhon; October 1st, 2005 at 00:07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then monlith would be under the same rules for disembarking troops form its access point. If he had no space to disembark then the squad would a horribly die in one sad attempt to get out. but this ability happens during the movement phase so it's totally possible for the monolith to move 6" and then deploy, so there would not be any models blocking the access point.
    "The more i grow older the more distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom"-H.L. Mencken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, firstly he shouldn't have fired both weapons in the same turn. Firing an ordnance weapon negates the use of all other weapons.

Exiting from a monolith portal counts as disembarking from a stationary vehicle, and so i assume that means that the exit point can be blocked.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I really got screwed in that game, then

GAR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunisia
    OK, firstly he shouldn't have fired both weapons in the same turn. Firing an ordnance weapon negates the use of all other weapons.

Exiting from a monolith portal counts as disembarking from a stationary vehicle, and so i assume that means that the exit point can be blocked.

IF I remember correctly, the monolith can always use one of the 2 weapons, not sure which though. However, in addition to that, the other weapon can be used in the same turn as well.

There is a list of options that can be used with the monoltih power grid, one is fire the second weapon, another is to bring in reserves, the 3rd I can't remember, but youcan only use one option per turn.

The normal ordenace rules do not apply to the monolith as this is specified in the codex as an option.

But more to your point, if the access point is blocked, he cannot bring in troops, they will remain stuck in reserve. One of the reasons I don't care for monliths is it only has one escape point and is not difficult to block.
    GAR,
    THE BEATINGS SHALL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

The use of a monolith portal happens in the movement phase so it's difficult to block (if you're cramped you can always tank-shock to make some room) because you can move the 'lith first.

But, yes...you can't use the flux arc and the partical whip in the same turn. On the bright side the codex is a little vague. You have to read the necron FAQ to find that out.
    Wake. Rise. Destroy. Conquer.
    We have done so once. We will do so again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you cannot use the fux arcs and the particle whip in the same turn, however if any model is within 12" of the monilith you MUST use the flux arcs and therefore cannot use the particle whip. This leads to the funny occasions when a rhino or something parks infront of an immobilesed monilith and does not allow it to use its particle whip for as long as the rhino is still there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The post to end this damn thread.

[quote=GAR]IF I remember correctly, the monolith can always use one of the 2 weapons, not sure which though. However, in addition to that, the other weapon can be used in the same turn as well.

The normal ordenace rules do not apply to the monolith as this is specified in the codex as an option.

[quote]

Can you give us quotes/ page references in the rules/ codex/ FAQ on any of those 3 points? The only rules it specifies to negate is that the PW can fire if shaken, stunned or if it has moved. As you can only move 6 inches, you can use it anyway, but usually weapons would stop working if shaken or stunned. Also, it cannot be destroyed by weapon destroyed results. Rules for ordnance are that it scatters, basically, and uses a large blast template.

If not, then:
    The ordnance weapon (Particle Whip) is specified as ordnance, so it does scatter, and, if used, is the only weapon which can be used that turn. If a vehicle which is neither fast nor walker, like the 'lith, moves up to 6 inches, the lith's max, it can fire: All main (Str6+) and all defensive (Str5-) weapons, OR 1 Ordnance, OR 1 ordnace barrage. So, unless there is a specifically stated exception, the 'lith cannot fire both the GFA and PW in one turn.

Also, in the FAQ it states that the monolith may only fire one of its weapons in a turn, either PW or GFA.

You cannot use the PW and the teleport in the same turn, as they both use the Power Matrix.

[quote=jkh13]you cannot use the fux arcs and the particle whip in the same turn, however if any model is within 12" of the monilith you MUST use the flux arcs and therefore cannot use the particle whip. This leads to the funny occasions when a rhino or something parks infront of an immobilesed monilith and does not allow it to use its particle whip for as long as the rhino is still there.[quote]

I think that that only happens if the person chooses to use the GFA. It says 'will fire', rather than 'must fire', and i would, reading between the lines, put 'will fire', into the context of 'will fire if used by the Necron player'

As has been said before, the portal is used in the movement phase, and so, while it can be blocked, you can move/ tank shock before using it.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

qoute from codex necrons page 21: the flux arc projecters will fire d6 shots at every enemy unit with a model within 12" of the monilith. This shows that the fa must fire at the unit

GAR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the description of the monolith on page 21 of the necron codex it clearly states that the GFA will fire at any enemy model within 12". There is no option whatsoever.

However, where you have an option with what to use the power matrix for. One of those options if to fire the PW. I don't have the FAQ currently in front of me, and I do not recall reading it in the FAQ either, which is not to say it is not there, but according to this, as I read it, you can fire both. There is no choice with the GFA but you do have options with the power matrix.
    GAR,
    THE BEATINGS SHALL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast