Scuttlers, Raveners & Zoanthropes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Scuttlers, Raveners & Zoanthropes

Scuttle confers the scout ability which means you can set up on board with escalation missions. It also gives you a free move before the first turn. Can you fleet in this free move? I am assuming that you can't fleet because this is done in the shooting phase.

I was thinking of having a fast scuttling army. I always thought scuttle was a bit pricey. Can anyone tell me their experience with scuttle?

I have 2 Raveners which have performed so so. I can see the nuisance value & table quarter grabbing uses of one Ravener. However I am beginning to think that you need a large brood to be effective. What is everyone else's opinion on Raveners?

I have one Zoanthrope which has been notable for its poor kill record. Its slow speed, low BS, short range just don't cut it and it attracks fire when everything else gets tied up in CC. It has been usefull for backup synapse. I am getting the idea that they are like Raveners, just too unreliable in small numbers. What has been you experience with "thropes?

:yes:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Scuttle:

Expensive, but worth it. It does get you there that much faster. pretty much guarntees a turn 2 charge.

Raveners:

Gotta be supported. Ravs + warriors or Ravs + hormies. Ravs alone will rarely do anything. unless you buy 8... at which point your points are better spent elsewhere

Thropes:
    Go 3 or go home, if you want them to actually do damage to anything. And the AP3 mini-plate destroys marines. That's all i usually use them for anyways. The S10 is good, but like you said, the range is crap. So use them to kill infantry at range. Unless you have a nice juicy rear 10 to get at...
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Like he said, raveners need to be supported because they aren't tough enough to survive getting shot up. They are good for taking out tanks or special characters because of how fast they can move and the amount of rending attacks they get.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sort of like leaving Ravenors as fire magnets.

Either a Max/min wastes its heavy weapon on them (which it may still survive) or the Ravenor makes CC.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A well "deepstriked" rav will just about all ways get shot at. think about it for a minute. yep thats awesome. i only realy have problems with dev or death on them. i think of them as a less reliable lictor. lictors are great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerling
    Scuttle confers the scout ability which means you can set up on board with escalation missions. It also gives you a free move before the first turn. Can you fleet in this free move? I am assuming that you can't fleet because this is done in the shooting phase.
    You are correct. You cannot use FoC during a scuttle movement because it is done in the shooting phase.

I was thinking of having a fast scuttling army. I always thought scuttle was a bit pricey. Can anyone tell me their experience with scuttle?
    Scuttle is OK. It basically cuts one turn of movement to get into CC. But you have to be careful since it happens before you roll to see who goes first. It can either give you a turn 1 charge or set you up for one if you don't go first. If you don't use it for a first turn charge I feel it isn't worth it. Infiltration is much better IMO but not available to all units.

I have 2 Raveners which have performed so so. I can see the nuisance value & table quarter grabbing uses of one Ravener. However I am beginning to think that you need a large brood to be effective. What is everyone else's opinion on Raveners?
    I have never been impressed by raveners. They are really expensive and die rather quickly when the shooting starts. I have fielded a few in single model units just to harrass the flanks and grab table quarters. Grabbing quarters they work really well but I have been unimpressed with them in combat. For the same price as a single Ravener I feel two Stealers are more effective if a bit slower.

I have one Zoanthrope which has been notable for its poor kill record. Its slow speed, low BS, short range just don't cut it and it attracks fire when everything else gets tied up in CC. It has been usefull for backup synapse. I am getting the idea that they are like Raveners, just too unreliable in small numbers. What has been you experience with "thropes?
    My only problem with Thropes is their speed. I have used them as Synapse/Warp Blast and Synapse/Psychic Scream units. I was not very impressed with their Warp Blast ability but I kept trying to have them kill a Monolith (which they didn't). Using them to kill Warriors instead may have fared better. Psychic Scream worked a bit better as the high morale modifier made a bunch of units run (and be swept). The only problem is their speed when used for Synapse. On average your CC units will outpace them by 6" per turn moving them out of synapse range by turn 3. I was in CC by turn 2 and when turn 3 rolled around and I swept a few units my Hormies ran away because they were out of synapse. Sure they run towards the Thropes but I lost turn 4 CC as they had to turn around and run back.
    I would definitely take a full unit of 3 whenever taking them. If your enemy doesn't have a lot of AP2 weapons (like NEcron) they can survive practically forever.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this goes against some common judgement, but I have started playing with a lone zoanthrope in 1500 pt games on 4 by 6 tables. He's usually in synapse range on turn 3 and i use him as a backup synapse guy. I still take flying warriors, broodlord, and flying tyrant...but these guys are usually in the thick of it and provide synapse on turn 2 and on the flanks. The zoanthrope is also rarely targeted with those dangerous targets and a carni or two to keep the enemies attention....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by hoya4life3381
    I know this goes against some common judgement, but I have started playing with a lone zoanthrope in 1500 pt games on 4 by 6 tables. He's usually in synapse range on turn 3 and i use him as a backup synapse guy. I still take flying warriors, broodlord, and flying tyrant...but these guys are usually in the thick of it and provide synapse on turn 2 and on the flanks. The zoanthrope is also rarely targeted with those dangerous targets and a carni or two to keep the enemies attention....
    Actually, that is EXACTLY how I use my Zoats, as well. If they happen to get a kill, so much the better. Mind you, one thing that I have not gotten around to doing is actually sending them in without Warp Blast. I don't know why, they never seem to do much damage. Maybe because my army is all about options.
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do the raveners have to be so big and scary?
    The models may look cool but...

me vs orks.
    me: one rav, 3 warriors, ****loads of gaunts, stealers
    that guy: buckets of boyz, horrible cannon thing, big nasty boyz in terminator armour,bike, k kan

he is so intimidataed by my ravener he shoots it down turn one. my termagaunts actually blow up his bike by shooting at it. My warriors take out his cannon. he SHOOTS and gradually kills my warriors. I assault his boyz. He kills me but is hurt. he merges his troops. my hormies assault his guys in the armour. Im caned. My termies get beaten up. my stealers come in and kill everything, except his k kan which hits with its missiles and flamer and finishes me.

how long did the lone ravener last?

Another example is:

my lone ravener is following my cannon fodder up the field. my cannon fodder is destryed, and my ravener plunges into a catachan unit of about 12 guys. it has talons and a devourer. It kills lots of them, its armour saves it against every hit, and the 'chans run. it then proceeds to slither calmly after them and shoots a gaping hole in their ranks.
    it was doing really well, but a sniper took it out.

So alone, you only have the one chance to kill stuff, and then its over and a hell of a lot of points have been wasted. either large group or not at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one ravener right now (working on getting two more) and the first time i used him he was a bullet magnet. i guess my oppenent thought he was some special guy cuz he was all alone so he thought he had to get rid of it quick , which he did the first turn after firing a crap load of bullets at it. so until i get a nother one i'm using him as a bullet magnet so i can get more of my guys into combat the second turn, possibly first.
    Order Of The Black Rose
    <span style='color:red'>Bood Gods Acolyte</span>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast