Librarium Online Forums banner

Latest DE appearance in White Dwarf

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dilandau 
#1 ·
So, the Dark Eldar got their own tactica feature in the White Dwarf, and a little more recognition (finally). I however was somewhat dissappointed when I read it (and I will explain why I think this a little later).

I would just like to hear what other people thought about it before I put my two cents in.

#3 ·
Typical if you ask me. Here they are supposedly showcasing a Dark Eldar force and at the very end telling you that if you play against IG, Orks or Nids plan on loosing the game and the best you can hpe for is a draw. Now how is that going to get anyone with any common sense to go out and start a DE army?

IMHO way too many points spent on RJB squads for the size of the army.

#5 ·
Yeah, I did not agree with his mentallity about nearly always losing to IG and nids. In most games I've played against nids, either it was a draw, or it was a victorious slaughter in my favor (splinter cannons rip these armies to shreds).

If anything, I have the most trouble against the Necrons (an army that he said is your easiest match-up). The fact that necrons can teleport out of hth and leave you wych squads in the open (combined with the fact that it is ridiculously hard for DE to take down a monolith), makes playing against the necron a living hell for me.

Also, yes, the glaring error about being able to use two-handed weapons on jetbikes (this was actually pretty much what his strategy was based on).

Also, I disagreed with his statement that Archons are a waste of points. They are only 25 points more, and i find the increase to attacks, initiative, WS, leadership, and wounds to be invaluable. Besides, why not (providing of course that you have the extra 25 points to spare), just purchase and archon AND a dracon (as opposed to just two dracons).

While he had some valid points to make about the incubi being incredibly vulnerable if their raider is downed, I still find them to be a vital unit in my army, and they are the only reason that I don't use a wych army (i'd hate to have to go to battle without my incubi). This opinion of course DOES differ from player to player.

All in all, regardless of my critiques and dislikes on some aspects, he made some very useful remarks about deployment, formations, and tactics (I actually DID learn a few new things that I think will make a difference in my playing). Mostly, I'm just glad to see that the Dark Eldar are getting some well-deserved press in the WD, and it makes me even more anxious for the release of the new eldar codex sometime next year.

#6 ·
When I read the first part of the article it sounded very familiar, then I remembered. It was rehashed from Chris Bell in a website article he wrote much earlier, "The 10 commandments of Dark Eldar". Of course, he changed his tune since then and I think he broke a couple of his own rules.

It is here: http://www.damommasboyz.com/articles/40k/cbdarkeldar.html

Just remember, he developed his tactics based on his army selection AND he states that if you play HIS way you need to follow HIS rules. All in all, if I was given that particular army selection I would probably have to play it that way in order to win at all.

And yes, he comment about not forgetting the two-handed weapon rule is now ok on reavers is not going over well in any of the forums. The overall concensus has been that the codex takes precedence and 2-handed weapons is NOT permitted - I sticking to this as well.

Their his opinions, that's all. There some good info in there.

#7 ·
Umm. . . . guys, let the poor guy be. We are all DE players, and if there's something we can agree on, it's that everyone's playstyle can be dramatically different.

I, for one, dislike using WWPs, for a number of reasons.

What I am saying is that he is probably not a bad general at all. In fact, he may have been playing DE for longer than we have.

He has his strategies, we have ours. That's just one army composition. Who said he doesn't do what "we" do sometimes? Be glad we got recognition. I've said in the past, in regards to his article and tactica, that I disagree with many of his points. Does that make them invalid? I don't think so. I am entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours, as he is to his.

So what if he thinks we'll lose to IG or nids? That's his own underestimation of HIMSELF. Let him delude himself, if you will.

#9 ·
I believe if you read the new rulebook the rule that states that bikers can only use one hand to hold a weapon is gone meaning that you can now use a Punisher while on a bike or an agoniser and a splinter pistol if that is what takes your fancy.

#10 ·
Dilandau said:
I believe if you read the new rulebook the rule that states that bikers can only use one hand to hold a weapon is gone meaning that you can now use a Punisher while on a bike or an agoniser and a splinter pistol if that is what takes your fancy.
Hate to burst your bubble...but the ruleboyz seem to disagree...they say no punishers on bikes...i wish it could be done, i really do. I've already made an ass of myself trying to tell people that it was legal, until i called em up, and they said that the article writer was mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.