Fleshing Out an Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Fleshing Out an Army

I'm currently trying to round out the army I've been putting together. For aesthetic reasons I plan on it being a fairly large horde. I also seem to be leaning towards focusing almost entirely on close combat as I tend to play on relatively small tables. What I'm having problems with is deciding on what I want to add for heavy support. I was hoping people may be able to make suggestions on what would work well at various point levels.
    I plan on running (roughly):

1x Hive Tyrand (Talons, BS&LW, Wings) (Yes, BS&LW aren't great.. but I like the look.)
    3x Warriors (Talons, Claws, Wings)
    3x Warriors (Talons, Claws)
    2x Genestealer Broods
    2x Termagaunt Broods
    1x Ripper Swarm
    1x Hormagaunt Brood

The size of the troop broods would largely depend on the points of the battle. At 1000 points, they'd all probably be mid-sized except for Genestealers which would probably simply be one full squad of 12.

I have a few suspicious about what to do, but I'd like to see what thoughts people have before I go dropping $45+ on a unit I end up not playing much.

Thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were you (which I never will be) I'd loopk into getting an OOE (Old One Eye) model or just an odinary carnifex. Zoanthropes are good, Biovores I'v never used, but you'll want to get either of the two later.

Get a carnifex, they can become pretty dam good. Though need to be looked after and protected from enemy fire.
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take some fast attack. But not gargoyles. They suck. Never used them, never want to. In the new rules, you field a unit of deepstriking spore mines. This limits what your opponent can do, as they don't want to move through it or waste ammo shooting it. I don't like wings that much, if I want something fast I make it fleet. Get an elite carnifex and make it look as scary as possible. Also, I think that HT wings are to expensive. And if your deep strike scatter goes badly, well....
    You don't need all that synapse. You don't have any other deeepstriking units that need synapse, so for the first part of the game you have three warriors covering for your entire force. If those get taken out from long range, you suddenly find yourself in a hell of a lot of trouble...

but you don't have to listen to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Thanks for the input. I was somewhat suspecting that a 'fex would be the way to go, but I wanted a bit of confirmation on that. OOE no longer has any special rules now that there's a new codex, correct?

If I pick up a carnifex, I'll quite possibly just get the battleforce box since I could use a few more gaunts still. Does the carnifex come with a complete accessory sprue in that set? Also, do the gaunts in that set come on the normal Tyranids Termagant Sprue? I'd most likely be making them into spinegaunts, so if I'm stuck giving them fleshborers... they're not going to be so useful. I have extra spine fists laying around, so I don't need the biomorph sprues. I just don't want to get stuck with the preformed ones you get in the Macragge set.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Bob Dole; October 10th, 2005 at 14:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OOE can still be used, the rules for him are here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranid...-characters/1/
    Hes still pretty good and his regen is a lot better than the normal carni regen.

Also, do the gaunts in that set come on the normal Tyranids Termagant Sprue?
    If you mean the one out of the macragge boxset, then no. Normal gaunts (which are in the boxset) are a lot more adaptable (ie you can arm them with fleshborers, spinefists and devourers). And the Fex in the boxset does come with the full accesory sprue.
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, remember at 1500 pts or greater you can take cheaper, more CC geared Carnifexes as Elites choices. This will fit nicely with your "All CC" desire. They aren't fast troops but if they can get close to a tank they can easily take them out. I call that Heavy Support!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A cheap CC'fex is a great unit. Cheap yet very effective, either actually in combat or as a fire-magnet.

As opposed to 1 large brood of 12 stealors, split them into 2 units of 6. As they are stealors they are still lethal in such a small squad size and stealors are too expensive/useful to die to shooting. Bye spilliting them up they are two seperate targets.

I think zoanthropes are pretty good, excellent as power-armour (space marine and chaos space marines) killers. Winged warriors work well to keep the synapse up with the gaunts, but bear in mind they will drop like flies to firepower (ie bolters). I wouls also recommend ravenors, but leave them for a while until you are more experienced with the nid playstyle.
    I would also recommend the broodlord, an excellent unit to infiltrate.
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Thanks for the extra information. It looks like it'll be a shiny new Carnifex for me.

+ Reply to Thread