Librarium Online Forums banner

Advice vs. Death Guard

554 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  onlainari 
#1 ·
This is part of a 6 player campaign spanning 4 worlds involving the Space Marines, Tau, Orks, Chaos Marines, Imperial Guard and Eldar. The teams are Crimson Fist and Beil-Tan vs. Fai'dan Sept and 08th Osarian MS Team vs. Mekka Boyz and Death Guard.

I am the 08th Osarian MS team of the IG (breakoff) and my ally is going to be fighting this battle tommrow, I will be an advisor but my troops cannot take part in the battle since the my army is on a world called Glavius IX with the Beil-Tan and cannot leave risking the objective being lost to the Eldar.

Since my teammate has never faced Death Guard and neither have I and asking for advice to give them. This battle's army list are fixed but changes can still be suggested for future battles ageinst the Death Guard. In case you are wondering why they are fixed is becuase when the move was made to attack this world the chaos player wrote the list of the force he would control and sealed it, the Tau did the same for the force they would send to counter it. Then they revealed the lists to each other.

Story: The forces of Nurgle wish to eradicate this Tau/Human colony because it is rapidly developing and promoting change and all that other stuff Nurgle hates. The Human and Tau defenders are still recovering and rebuilding after a recent Crimson Fist assault against their world and are desperately waiting for their Vespid allies to arrive with the much needed anti-power armor weaponry.

Battle Field: A 6ft by 8ft semi-intact city area of a Tau/Human colony.
Note worthy points:

1. Main road reaching from center north table edge going 5ft south and turning to the east 2ft off the table.

2. South Western 'Slum' area of semi-ruined buildings, streets are to narrow for most vehicles (the Ork vehicles will fit but only because the scale on them sucks, we don’t allow them to enter).

3. 2ft tall office tower with roof access.

4. Monument to the Tau and Human leaders that made the colony possable.

The Fia'dan 72nd Urban Warfare Team

HQ:

Shas'o Fia'dan M'yen Mesme (110pts)
- Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod and Multitracker

Bodyguard (80pts)
- Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Multitracker and Hard Wire Target Lock

Elite:

4 Stealth Suits (120pts)

Troops:

12 Fire Warriors (132pts)
- Shas'ui
- All Pulse Rifles and Photon Grenades

10 Gue'vesa'la (76pts)
- Gue'vesa'ui
- 2 Pulse Carbines

10 Gue'vesa'la (76pts)
- Gue'vesa'ui
- 2 Pulse Carbines

Total: 594pts

Death Guard

HQ:

Nurgle Lt. (91pts)
- Mark of Nurgle
- Plague Sword and Bolt Pistol
- Daemonic Strenght

Elite:

5 Possessed of Nurgle (135pts)
- Mark of Nurgle
- D. Aura and D. Strength

Troops:

8 Plague Marines (175pts)
- Mark of Nurgle
- 7 Bolters
- Aspiring Champion with Power Weapon and Bolt Pistol

8 Plague Marines (200pts)
- Mark of Nurgle
- 7 CCW and Bolt Pistols
- Aspiring Champion with Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol and Blight Grenades

Total: 601pts

Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance. Oh and remeber giving advice to my team is for the greater good.

See less See more
#2 ·
He has 601 points, is the limit 600? Is he technically cheating? It shouldn't matter, I guess.

Big table. Lots of terrain. This sounds too easy.

I don't know how you play, but we never play with vertical movement. I do know that you have jet packs, and should be able to jump up to the top no problem right? Stay on the building if you can still shoot with full effect, and if it will hide you from assault. Otherwise, use terrain and mobility. Keep hiding so he cant shot your suits. Use your fire warriors to out-range him for as long as possible. I haven't played Chaos, but have played marines, and plasma is your friend. Those Possessed sound tough so plasma them first.

Remember, if he can't reach your or see you, then he can't hurt you.

#3 · (Edited)
We play with vertical movement but will still shoot based on staight line distrance so we dont knock things over, however angle are taken into account if a vertical wall blocks line of sight for someone at the bottum looking up but not the top looking down.

PS: Its agreed that on turn 3 both me and the Ork player can deepstrike a single unit into the battle feild. I'm deep striking 3 Cadian Pattern Sentinals. We dont know what the Ork player is doing (she will not tell me) but I think the only unit she has that can deep strike is her Flying Battle Wagon (We know its not technically allowed but she made it super cool for Golden Daemon so we let her use it, its a fun game after all)

#4 ·
Osaria said:
Bodyguard (80pts)
- Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Multitracker and Hard Wire Target Lock

10 Gue'vesa'la (76pts)
- Gue'vesa'ui
- 2 Pulse Carbines

10 Gue'vesa'la (76pts)
- Gue'vesa'ui
- 2 Pulse Carbines
For next time: never use bodyguard, they are less efficient points cost (+1WS +1I isn't worth a firewarrior, they die in combat anyways).
The basic imperial guard armed with a lascannon is the most inefficient trooper (pointswise).

Personally I would have gone for another 16 Tau firewarriors in groups of 8 (you would have been better off).

#5 · (Edited)
He should have squads of 7, not 8.

Anyway, the advice against death guard, general, would be to stay away from them, killing their tanks at range, and letting the marines get hit without able to return fire, considering their range is practically 12".

The plasma rifles on crisis suits should never get into rapid fire range unless you plan on finishing the squad off.

Stealths are best at staying alive, use them when you can finish a squad off. They'll only kill 1 or 2, but it's helpful and they won't get shot back.

Static fire warriors just lose against death guard. I would shoot for 1 turn, and then see what you can do to use them to split the DG units up, so your elites and heavy support can focus on one unit and make manouverability a little easier.

Mech fire warriors stay in their tanks until there is 1 guy left and no close by units, allowing more marines if you are throwing in stealths and crisis suits too. A rapid fire drop should take care of him. While in their tank, they are best at getting shot at instead of your hammerheads. Also handy for objective grabs.

Kroot are good at pushing back infiltrating DG units. They won't do anything else, maybe use them as bait too, maybe just hide them to grab an objective late game.

Nothing to say about broadsides. One of the reasons I don't like them. Just deploy and shoot, at tanks, generally.

I wouldn't bother getting your hammerheads in smart missile or burst cannon range.

Focus on the objective, and their tanks.

#7 ·
Mobility will be key for much of this army, as Briguy pointed out. Make sure you deploy your fire warriors within supporting fire of oneanother while making sure he doesnt have an easy way around terrain to you. With enough of the shots that the fire warriors lay down you should drop enogh of them, as long as you make sure that their rage can be fully taken advantage of.

Don't rely on the stealth abilty, unless they are over 25 inches away. Make sure you stay mobile, and use your suits to channel them or at least to watch discourage flanking. Good configuration on the body guard for anti-3+, but for future reference, make them individual squads if you have the slots. That way, theres no last man standing and you have more flexibility of fire without the target lock. Also, 2 carbine shots is not enough of a chance to rely on pinning, if anything use one squad closer with more carbines and another near by for range support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.