Tau v Tyranid's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tau v Tyranid's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau v Tyranid's

Ok im going against a tyranid player this weekend in a 2000pt game. He is bragging about how he is gonna get into CC on the second or third turn.Hes all bragging about his synapsis creatures being the best. When i look at the stats of the tyranids all i see are saves of 5+ which is the tau's most common ap value and his bigger stuff with a save of 3+ all i know is i have ion cannons, submunitions, plasma, fusion, and on top of that i can marker them so no cover saves can be taken. Should i really be intemidated by his force?

Really come on, i feel that tau can make the tyranids roll over in their graves.

PS: to bad lurkers ont ambush anymore (would've been fun for me)

Darks Elves 6000ptsWood Elves 500pts (WIP)
    Imperial Guard 5000pts
    http://mr-godz.mybrute.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

He's not bragging. Tyranids do get into cc in the second turn.

Don't worry though, as long as you have mobility, you will be able to fire at the homogaunts (the ones that move 6", fleet D6", then assault 12") and finish them off in your turn 1 and 2. I would also make sure you're running away from the leaping warriors, they are just as fast as the homogaunts.

It is best to lure homogaunts with kroot in cover. They kill homogaunts very nicely with their rifles, and are able to beat them in combat if charged while in cover. Don't charge the homogaunts though, you need first turn.

There is plenty of different types of tyranid lists, and I also have no idea of your list, so there's not much more I can do to help you.

Just remember, keep your stealths alive. That is more important that shooting them. Also remember that they can beat about 3 homogaunts in combat because they count as being in cover. It is always nice to get a free D6" consolidation move in your opponents turn.
    Last edited by onlainari; October 18th, 2005 at 09:28.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok well my basic list is
    hq
    shas'el
    ethereal
    elite
    3x crisis with plasma, missile pods, trackers
    6x stealth team
    troops
    12 FW
    12 FW
    12 FW
    12 Kroot
    fast attack
    8x pathfinders with devilfish
    8x gun drones
    heavy
    2 hammer heads with railguns
    1 hammer head with ion cannon
    Imperial Guard 5000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I'd think the Ethereal is kind of dead weight on this list.

Maxxing out the Kroot can't hurt. Using Angkhor Prok would make for a nice surprise.

More Gun Drones would be pretty smooth.

Maybe get rid of the Pathfinders and put FW in the Fish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I'd switch out a Crisis Team for another Stealth Team if you can. Last time I played Tyranids, my 6 Stealthsuits were worth their weight in gold. They can wipe out entire squads in a single volley, and jump back to avoid the Tyranid charges.
    Mounted FW teams will also do you well, too. I'd recommend starting the FWs up, unmounted, at the 12" line, then, on your first movement phase, moving the Devilfish 6" up as a kind of wall. They're expendable, and will draw fire. Er, claws.
    Your Hammerheads look good.
    Kroot will also do pretty well, as well. They're as good as your average Gaunt in CC, but can also shoot quite well, too.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he is using a lot of gaunts, then your firewarriors should have a field day. They hit on a 4+ and wound on a 2+, so make sure you go for the fastest guys first. Your list looks pretty solid to me.

Oh and by the way, watch out for lictors! Nothing like a well deepstruck lictor that will assault your stealth team/kroot to screw up your plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Malekith
    ok well my basic list is
    hq
    shas'el
    ethereal
    elite
    6x stealth team
    troops
    12 FW
    12 FW
    12 FW
    12 Kroot
    fast attack
    8x pathfinders with devilfish
    8x gun drones
    heavy
    2 hammer heads with railguns
    1 hammer head with ion cannon
    Good list :yes:

Ok, what you will have to do is set up all of those fire warriors and kroot as far apart as possible. They're going to die. Whatever you do, don't give him a movement advantage by letting him assault your kroot turn one, best off putting them in your deployment zone.

Those stealths will be the deciding factor. They will need to consistently run away from the action while just being in range to shoot at the infantry.

The crisis suits are well equiped to hurt warriors and genestealers, but I would be careful and keep them at range until closer to the end. Try to keep them out of LOS too.

The gun drones are pretty useless. Deep strike them behind the nids, see if he turns around.

The hammerheads just point and shoot, there really shouldn't be a problem with them. Don't let him assault them for bonus movement, put them right next to the units or much much further away.

Again, I know others have criticised the list, but in my opinion, there is little you could do to improve it. 8/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He he he. I agree with you Malekith. It looks too easy. I'm gonna try to get in a big game against 'nids soon.

Swapping the plasma rifles for Burst Cannons will get you a lot of shots off the Crisis suits if you so desire, but will shorten range.

Here are the general rules for any Tau vs. Tyranids:

Be shooty, be smart: shoot so much your trigger finger falls off. But, dont be stupid. Like Olainari said, Stealths should shoot as frequently as possible, but keep em alive.

It's big, it's strong, it's not a threat: if it's not melting you in bio-acid or about to rip your face off with talons, ignore it. That Carnifex 4 feet away is no trouble. Dont get caught up on shooting something that can't hurt you.

I heard this from someone I cant remember on this forum. This is the number one, easy-to-folllow, supreme grand-master rule: Shoot was is closest! EVERYTHING in the 'Nid army is better than you at close combat. A lot better. Avoid CC like the plague. No. More than the plague.

Otherwise, follow Olainari for tactics on individual units.
    Last edited by Shas'O Briguy; October 19th, 2005 at 00:52.
    "I'd rather fight 100 Hammerheads than 20 Battlesuits" -Vinnie, an Ultramarine.

*Remember to use the Reputation ability! Click the yellow star beneath a name on the left side!*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

yeah, most of the time i play against nids, they are in always in hth by turn two (if not by turn 1 sometimes). This WILL be a tough match for you. Use that submunition, it will save your ass. Luckily your pulse rifles will be wounding on 2+.

Just pray that you get a good deployment with open fire lanes.

It might not even be a bad idea to take Aun'Shi. He's a beast in hth, and can turn a firewarrior squad into a decent adversary for anyone in hth as well. (if aun'shi takes a squad of firewarriors as a retinue, he loses IC status and cant be picked out in hth).

One of your best rescources in this battle will be your battlesuits with their 6" move in the assault phase...dont forget about it!

It wont be an impossible fight, but it WILL be difficult.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok well my plan was to piss him off by taking out as many synapsis creatures as possible. I equiped my crisis with big bug hunting gear, my pathfinders are mainly their to shoot seeker at the carnifex or marker any unit that trys to use cover, if i get a marker on them "BAM" no saves froma submunition. I took an Ion to take out hive tyrants and or his guards. I took kroot and drones to lead his gaunt and genes away from my jumpers.
    I took an ethereal just so i had a chance to stay or run in combat and pass leadership from those big str 8 blast temp weapons the carnifex take. I was thinking that if he got close to my FW i would just rapid fire him to death.

PS: kroot rifle doesnt give a gaunt a save!!!1
    Imperial Guard 5000pts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast