Upgrading gaunts/hormugaunts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading gaunts/hormugaunts

Is it worth it?whats better 25 or moreunupgraded hormugaunts or 17 gaunts with toxin sacs and flesh hooks?im a noob to 40k and decided to start a nid army because i like swarms and cc fexs alot and their psycic powers are good too.Im just not sure if more horma gaunts are better or a giant swarm of 25+ hormagaunts are better.thanx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

With Tyranids, numbers is a far greater advantage than upgrades. Every unit in the list has a lot of very tempting upgrades, but my advice for new players is, don't take them until you've learned your army. Numbers are far more forgiving than upgrades, and they have an added bonus of disheartening inexperienced opponents as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with PoptartsNinja, numbers are definitely better. Initially you should be using your hormagaunts to tie up the enemy until your gribbly monsters can close in and devour them. They are not there to wipe out the enemy themselves. At least until you're used to your army and are ready to tweak it here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most experienced players would say to go with the numbers, as does statistics. I wholly agree with the number viewpoint, but tooling up your hormagaunts is also a very valid option if you know what you are doing. This is especially the case if you are playing on small boards, where you can get by with less numbers slightly more easily.

I've used hormas with S and I upgrades from the start and never really regretted it. Sure they get shot up easily, but I like the added punch they get from those upgrades. Then again experience tells me that a large brood of spinegaunts is just as deadly in the current edition (actually my spineaunts have currently far greater marine killing ratio than my hormas ).
    "I'm always right. Except for the times I'm not."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't pack hormagaunts or gaunts with biomorphs, because they've got crappy saves. If their saves were 4+, I'd give them everything! But no, we get a 6 save so that bolters and shruiken can kill us instantly. (Pewny lasguns, hehehe).

My troops are currently (will be changed) -

16 x Termagaunts - gaunt + fleshborer
    16 X Spinegaunts - gaunt + spinefist
    *16 X Devourgaunts - gaunt + devourer

16 X Hormagaunts - hormagaunt
    16 X Hypergaunt (Adrenagaunt etc.) - hormagaunt + WS and I Adrenal Gland (WS 5 and I 5 basic troops - 16 of them with 3 attacks each on the charge!!!)
    * 16 X Toxigaunt - hormagaunt + toxin sacs (tank busting, anyone?)

*Optional, if not taken, fill in with one squad of basic genestealers, one strong squad of ripper swarms.

This way, your army has a little bit of everything....but at a great price.
    "If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Strenght in numbers is the key with nids so my gaunts don't have any fancy upgrades, this way I can field as many of them without having to worry about to much points in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As most poeple have said so far, i would also go with the numbers of upgrades. thw humble spinegaunt offer's so much towards your army for a measly 5pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx for the help toxin sacs is pretty tempting though but ill take your advice on it and go about 25 hormagaunts per brood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I find it best to work out the actual averages whenever possible. From my experience more models = more attacks = more wounds = more failed saves. Even the mighty terminators will lose one model for every 6 wounds on average. A single Terminator would have to kill 10 spinegaunts to win back his points where those same 10 spinegaunts have a decent chance of killing him before he does.

The benefit of horde armies is the horde itself. If you tool up your models so they cost the same amount as space marines you're as good as dead. If you have 3 models for each space marine they'll be hard-pressed to kill the swarm before it engulfs them. The worst part about playing a horde army is painting the 100+ models!
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I fight a lot of SMs - Dark Angels, Black Templars and Chaos Iron Warriors, and I have found the I upgrade on hormies well worth the 10% on-cost. Striking first is particularly important for fragile wee beasties like gaunts, since chances are they won't save vs any counter-attack.

It's also very annoying for the SM players.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast