Mobile shooty dark eldar possible? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobile shooty dark eldar possible?

I was wondering if it's possible to make a shooty raider army. I know the dark eldar are great at close-combat (cc) and everything but I have a habit of shooting my enemies than fighting them in cc, maybe it's because shooting a guy with dark matter is cooler than slicing them with a poisoned knife.

Is it possible to make this mobile dark eldar raider (with a tiny-bit of webway) that focuses on shooty but with a few assault squads for close-combat support.

So this is what I was hoping: Have a raider army with 70% shooty goodness and 30% assault. My max amount of troops would problably be 4 raider squads and 2 warrior squads but even though the warrior squads are meant for shooting (twin darklances) I want to keep my raider squads shooty as well with maybe a cc armed sybarite to help them out if they ever get into cc which should be expected because of their mobility. For heavy support maybe 2 ravagers (dark-matter ) and either a talos (which would be brought with a webway portal) or scourges (just because their cool). So this would mean my troops and heavy support would be geared for shooting. Hq would be the same (incubi and lord with raider) and elites would be one 20 sized witch squad coming out of the portal, my other two elite choices I'm not sure but it dosent matter because I'm only saying this for the direction I want my army to go. Fast attack could serve either as a mobile anti-tank squad or a cc squad. This is only a way for me to tell you all how I want my army to operate and may not be the units I settle for.

So in short my dark eldar army should be a raider army with plenty of dark-matter, shooting, and some cc units transported by webway to keep the enemy busy while I move in or to simply provide cc support. Is this possible? Or are the dark eldar only meant for either mobile assault or shooty and no mixing the two? This is basically a dark eldar version of mechanized tau with assault elements.
    P.S- The webway is only meant for transporting assualt units, I have no interest in making a webway army.

Last edited by Hell Knight; October 28th, 2005 at 15:53.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

You can most definitely make a shooty dark eldara army. Close combat and shooting are the main specialties of the DE (thats what makes them so unique and amazing).

I'd go with a minimum of 2 ravagers (with dissintigrators on all of them). For warrior squads, I usually use a squad of 10 warriors (2 with lances), but if you want a good mobile shooty squad, they either go with 10 warriors on the raider (1 with a blaster, and the other with a lance or cannon depending on your style).

If you dont want to use a webway, you can just keep a couple of wych squads held back behind cover (in raiders of course), and have them fly out towards your enemy after you soften em up a bit with shooting. (this is how i play it myself. I like the webway portal, but its an expensive investment, especially if you your webway carrier dies before he can open it...if this happens, then all of your reserves are counted as casualties for victory points)

im not gonna say scourges suck, because they can be great, but i personally just prefere to use other units for my heavy support (if you do use em, give em all splinter cannons...thats the best config IMO).

But yeah, DE are one of the best shooty armies in the game (oddly enough). If you wanna make em shooty, more power to you man, it CAN be done!
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply but I have a few questions. First: how would you rank dark eldar shooting? 3rd maybe, I suspect the tau and guard would kill me in a shooting so I would have to kill them in cc. Second: is this army competetive enough or is it to "radical" I was wondering because most people seem to win more with the webway army. Third: How can I make my dark eldar more darkly futuristic. I read how they have all this cool techno weapondry (dark-matter ) so I want to model a look into my army to make them more techno but not lose their spiky appearence. My inspiration for their tech will come from the covenant from halo2. This would mean my dark eldar weapons would be shiny and glowy but not not light colored glowy but more black and purple glowy. So you can try to imagine a mix of dark eldar and covenant tech. If you can't imagine that than try to picture the covenant spectre but more dark eldarish. Thats what I want for my look but suggestions from other people for eldar/covenant tech will give me more original ideas. Last: The dark eldar don't look gothic, phantomly enough. Question 3 asks how I can make my dark eldar tech but this question goes for the overall look of my army. I got this inspiration from hitman contracts, the dark and haunting atmosphere was perfect for the "feel" I wanted for my army, any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I'd rank them at least in the top 5 for shooting. IG WILL outshoot you, tau will most likely do so as well (but at least your basic troops can rip through them like tissue paper). Dont forget Iron warriors though, and eldar has a lot of good shooting.

Thing is though, you can make an excellent tournament army that can not only beat people in hand to hand, but in shooting also. You may have fewer guns in a DE army, but of the guns you have, you'll have a greater quantity of better guns (hope that makes sense). Yeah, dark matter rox!

Not sure about your 3rd question though.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

my force is just that, ravagers, 1 sniper unit(2 Dark lances 10 warriors), 3 raiders with warriors and sybarite with HtH gear, some bikes with my HQ and other shooty stuff.
    Ever since my last tweak the only army that lost against is Tau(a big loss though :cry: ).

gotta love the look on your opponent when his leman russes, land raiders is poped open the 1st/2nd turn

its very much doeble :yes:
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Yeah it is...I love playing against some arrogant Daemonhunter with 3 land raiders that all get sploded on turn one...mmm thats some tasty dark matter.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neferata
    Close combat and shooting are the main specialties of the DE
    Hee hee, those are like, the 2 big parts of the game.

I wouldn't rank armies regarding strength (for shooting, mobility, CC or otherwise). Seeing as how there are only 10 or so armies, in an unlimited nnumber of combos, you shouldn't label anyone as the best of anything.
    "I'd rather fight 100 Hammerheads than 20 Battlesuits" -Vinnie, an Ultramarine.

*Remember to use the Reputation ability! Click the yellow star beneath a name on the left side!*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Personally I like Dark Eldar shooty armies and the style your talking about is more than viable, have made and palyed a few myself although I tend to have a slightly different composition:

2 Sniper Squads, 2 20 warrior foot squads w/2 Splintercannons, 2 blasters, sybarite and agoniser, HQ with 3 Incubi and 2-6 warriors w/2 splintercannons and punisher lord with webway form a firing line

2 Raider units 10 warriors w/ Splinter cannon, blaster and horrorfex, 2 Ravagers with disintegrators, harry the flanks

Talos and/or some wyches and warp beasts in the web as a counter assault force, I have outshot Tau, Eldar and mech guard with this, can't out shoot infantry guard. The nice thing about htis force organisation is that you can switchi it to an assault style army just by altering which units you deploy and how you move them... one of my favourites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the extreme end of mobile + shooty, go for:

- 6 Raider squads of 5 Warriors, 1 DL. Raiders roam seperately like Vypers, Warriors are like half-size Sniper Squads. Give the Raiders Disintegrators if you feel you need more anti-personel firepower.

- 3 Ravagers with either 3 Disintegrators or 2 Dis + 1DL (mixing works fine in 4th ed)

- 3 units of 6 Reavers, 2 Blasters each, and a Succubus with Agonizer/Powerweapon + T.Helm

- Archon on Reaver

- Haemonculi on Reavers with Destructors

Or just forget the Archon and go for as many Haemonculi as you can. Flying around and firing the flamer with great angles is very cool.

The army is frail, but fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

That would no doubt be an awesome list...just be prepared to have a few people throw some pieces of cheese at you.

I'm not just trying to be a jerk...I just seriously think some people might consider that cheesy.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast