Eldar wraithlord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar wraithlord

Hello space elf players, my friend is wanting to know is 3 wraithlords in his eldar army are good?

Comments, surgestions.. relpy here

I am Narcotick. Fear me.

LO Musicians clan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Three Wraithlords will most likely get him cries of "cheese!" and people will start refusing to play with him.

Honestly, I don't even really know why, I think it's silly, but, it'll happen nonetheless.

It also really depends on what type of army he is fielding - in an Iyanden army I could see it a lot easier than a normal Eldar army, in which case the cries of cheese will just be too much to bear, I think.

The Wraithlord is definitely a good unit, and I'd recommend using one, but that's coming from a former-ish Iyanden player's perspective, where we get Wraithlords as troop choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Honestly, Wraithlords should have this special rule:

MELTING. Because the Eldar crafted these mighty giants out of pure cheddar and montery jack, weapons that use heat are particularly deadly to them. If a Wraithlord is hit with a flamer, heavy flamer, inferno cannon, any melta weapon, and any weapon with the "Gets Hot!" special rule, it will automatically suffer a permanent -1 penalty to its Iniative, WS, BS, S, and T characteristics, to represent the pure cheasiness of these stupid pointy-eared b*****s. Additionally, a Wraithlord that uses a plasma weapon such as a plasma missle or a starcannon will still suffer from the "Gets Hot!" special rule, even though these weapons do not normally use this rule.

Yes, 3 Wraithlords will give you an immediate advantage in any game that does not use the above special rule. While he's at it, suggest to him to use six 5-man Guardian defender squads with starcannons.

Yesterday, I played a 1850 game against the following:

Souped-up Seer council
    2x Striking scorpions squads
    6x 5 man guardian defender squads with starcannons
    3x Vipers with starcannons
    1x Falcon with starcannon
    2x Wraithlords with Starcannons

Unfortunately, there was not enough terrain on the board to prevent the 500 or so points worth of casualties I suffered the first turn, which included almost all of my AP4 weapons. I didn't even get to touch the Wraithlords. Oh yeah, and he got a 6 for EVERY SINGLE MIND WAR ROLL! But what did I get out of it? $160 because I painted his entire army.

Highlight of the chese (I meant game): Master of the Ravenwing on speeder getting hit by 6 starcannons and 12 shuriken catapult shots and saving 10 glancing hits with its 4+ invulnerable save.

T8 with a 3+ save is rediculously over-powered for 75 pts plus weaponry, which is probably going to be a starcannon. Tell you friend that the 2 biggest advantages Eldar have are Starcannons and Wraithlords, and tell him that the two can be combined, just like Cheddar and Montery jack...
    Last edited by Ezekiel1990; October 30th, 2005 at 19:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Try being a bit more constructive, Ezekiel1990.

I think it is a wonderful idea. If your friend like wraithlords, then he should of course be allowed to play a wraithlord heavy army. However, as you might already have guessed, your friend should take the general attitude towards the wraithlords into consideration before he puts his army together. Either reccomend him to use the Iyanden craftworld special rules, which balances out the advantages of using multiple wraithlords, or just not take more than one in games smaller than 1500 points. If your friend can stick to that, he should not have any trouble finding people to play against at all.
    Last edited by Sareld; October 30th, 2005 at 19:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

That army looks more StarCannon-heavy than Wraithlord-heavy. . . It really doesn't look like the Wraithlords were the problem.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does that mean you can have 9 wraith lords in a Iyanden army?
    I am Narcotick. Fear me.

LO Musicians clan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

No, the most you can have in any Eldar army (providing you don't take Harlequin allies) is 3. For conventional Eldar armies these come from your 3 Heavy Support choices, for Iyanden they come from 3 Troops choices - 1 Wraithlord per unit of Wraithguard.
    You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Narcotick
    Does that mean you can have 9 wraith lords in a Iyanden army?
    Nope, only 3. They aren't HS in Iyanden, and only one WL for every wraithguard squad.

In general though, I'd tell him to avoid taking more than one. In my experience, they aren't going to do very much damage since they have one heavy weapon and 3 attacks. Sure they can take punishment.

Taking 3 makes for a static, inflexible, boring army. You will win with it against beginners and lose against those who are experienced. It will not cultivate learning, strategy-wise, and your games will always be focused around 3 monstrosities.

The Wraithlord will also attract cries of "cheese," which will ultimately create bad feelings against those who you're playing. Either that, or you'll get flattened.

Do take one wraithlord. If you really like them, and want to risk not being able to use the second one, if they're 0-1 in the new codex, take 2. Do not take 3. If you want something else that's survivable, take a falcon.

Far more interesting, and just as survivable.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Wraithlords are usually over-rated, let's see what we have here:
    • Slow
    • Tough
    • Not very impressive firepower
    • Close combat monster
    • Takes up a precious HS slot
    This is relatively easy to counter, if you have the means. Simply stay out of close combat and kill it with heavy weapons, it is not that hard to kill if you concentrate fire on it. The only time those Wraithlords can get b****y is when you have to assault him with marines, and those monsters defend the line. Power fists are your friends, but usually not enough. Assault cannons can get them good, though... Land Speeders all the way...

Many Eldar players take Wraithlords and think that the enemy will shoot at them, in mechanized Biel-tan armies for example. But the enemy has no reason to shoot the Lords, because it is a much better idea to kill the Wave Serpents carrying death towards their lines. The Wraithlord is only a decent defense/counter-charge unit that can carry a BS4 heavy weapon...

Iyanden armies should have no second thoughts about three Wraithlords since the fact that they must take 3 units of Wraithguard balances it greatly. However, I do not recommend Iyanden players to take a full 3 Wraithlords, they are low on models and speed already.

Edit: If it didn't show, I am anti-Wraithlords. Down with the boring safe units!
    Last edited by Viktor; October 30th, 2005 at 22:02.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

It is both uncheesy and incredibly fluffy to take 3 wraithlords.

Didnt you know that every Craftworld had dozens of warhouses filled with Wraithlords? not just Iyanden? For those Commanders requiring no skill whatsoever.

Go Ezekiel.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast