Genestealers: What biomorphs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genestealers: What biomorphs?

I've been looking around the forum and I see a biomorph tactica for Fex's, Warriors and Tyrants, but nothing on genestealers.

Since I'm not talented and experienced enough to write a tactica on 'stealers, I'm asking all of you to contribute to this thread. It would be cool if people would post advice on how they equip and use their genestealers. Since the Broodlord is just a big bad 'stealer, include any advice you have on him too.

Just to get things started, here's my current predicament:
    I just bought the tyranid battleforce and the time has come to assemble my stealers.. but which biomorphs should I get?
    I'm leaning towards scything talons and extended carapace, any thoughts, comments?
    Is scuttle worth considering?

(A lil' background info, my warriors and fex are going to be shooty, half the gaunts will be spinegaunts and the rest will be hormagaunts)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

I really don't remember whats available for them because I lent my codex to someone I am trying to get into the game. I take Extended Carapace (please don't snap at me please, new to Tyranids too). I would take EC just because if you going to have awesome units such as 'Stealers, might as well give them a chance of 50/50 (base save is +5 right?).

However I would make Tactica but not experienced enough with Tyranids yet. So if someone could make one for Genestealer's Upgrades and Use, that would be great.
    Last edited by LictorInTheGrass; November 1st, 2005 at 19:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Both extendid carapce and ST are the best upgrades for a stealer, having even more attacks on the charge increases the chance that you roll a 6 for your rending.
    I have a genestealer unit with those 2 upgrades and the amount of atatcks that that sqaud of 8 stealers produces is very scary to watch, especially when coupled to their high initiatieve, high WS and rending claws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I agree completely. Scything Talons and Extended Carapace are all that I ever take. EC is a requirement or you're whole squad will get blown away on the first turn from normal bolter fire (or almost any army's standard infantry weapon). The extra attack of ST just makes them hit more and that is never a bad thing.

I personally never take scuttlers. The last thing you want is for your genestealers to be the vanguard of your army. Cheap Gaunts and Hormagaunts are much better suited for this role. Get your gaunts into CC first and then add the stealers the next turn and you'll kill everything. Allow your stealers to jump in front of your gaunts and they're as good as dead.

If you want to start closer to the enemy take a Broodlord and his retinue and infiltrate them. Most deployments are 24" so infiltrate gives you either 6" or 12" (no LOS) of free movement during deployment without paying for scuttling. The only bad thing is the brood loses FoC when joined by a Broodlord. IMO FoC is much better than infiltrate as it helps with every round of movement.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I would disagree with the good Lord Creampuff with respect to scuttlers. For me it's a tossup between scuttlers and Scything Talons. Without scuttlers, I take talons to make up for the stealers that I lose on the way there. With scuttlers, I take less casualties and so the extra genestealers I have compensate for the fact that they get less attacks each.

I agree with the above posters in that EC is absolutely needed for stealers.

But those three are the only things I would ever put on stealers.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talked to a friend of mine shortly after posting the topic, he seems to think I should give them either extended carapace or nothing at all, to keep them cost effecient.

Based on the response so far, I think I'll give them both EC and ST though, especially as my big guys are decked out for shooting.

The big argument for EC: bolters and all the other AP5 weapons out there.
    The big argument for ST: they have rending claws already, an extra attack means more 6's.

Thats what I've gathered so far, has anyone tried Feeder Tendrils? (what does Preferred enemy do anyways?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbass
    Thats what I've gathered so far, has anyone tried Feeder Tendrils? (what does Preferred enemy do anyways?)
    Makes you hit on a certain roll in CC, This magical number is less than 4 and more than 2...

And they're only good if you can give that advantage to your gaunts that are 2" away, but a lictor is better suited for that purpose.

And only give you stealers EC+ST if you know what you're doing tactically. You're looking at something the cost of a grey knight if you're doing that...
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by dymew
    I would disagree with the good Lord Creampuff with respect to scuttlers. For me it's a tossup between scuttlers and Scything Talons. Without scuttlers, I take talons to make up for the stealers that I lose on the way there. With scuttlers, I take less casualties and so the extra genestealers I have compensate for the fact that they get less attacks each.
    I can honestly see it going either way. I just have a hard time paying the points just for 6" of extra movement. That and the possibility that the extra 6" move before the game could put the stealers at the forefront of the army thus negating the LD roll to hit them. I would hate to pay the extra points just to have them killed easier.

Now if you give a unit of gaunts scuttlers also you could move both units forward 6" while keeping the gaunts in front to force a LD roll to shoot the stealers. But that's getting even more expensive.

EC is a definite must-have, but the rest are completely optional and depend on your style of play and your tactical abilities.

Either way do whatever you can to prevent your stealers from getting shot in the first turn. By the second turn you will hopefully have gaunts/hormagaunts in CC that will shield your incoming stealers from return fire. I am fond of the old Carnifex wall for the first turn just to block LOS to my stealers. I lose one FoC roll but many more stealers survive to make it to CC.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned flesh hooks, flesh hooks are a necessity on any unit that is going to engage in the assault. Not only do they go at the same time as units that are going to sit in cover and wait for them to strike, but it means they can go over vertically impassable terrain...oh are you going to hide behind that wall? well I am going to climb it, and then assault and not end up going last in combat...All I am saying is I'd buy that for a dollar...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks clearing up what Feeder tendrils do.

Quote Originally Posted by dymew
    And only give you stealers EC+ST if you know what you're doing tactically. You're looking at something the cost of a grey knight if you're doing that...
    I see your point, I think I'm gonna finish assembling my warriors tonight and think some more about the stealers for tomorrow.

As flesh hooks are concerned, I've never actually assaulted a unit i cover, admittedly I havent fought a battle with my nids yet, but my Death Guard have seen plenty of assault action. besides, with a high WS and a 4+ save (which everyone seems to agree is a must) striking last isnt that big of a deal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast