Rare Earth Magnet Hardpoints, etc. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare Earth Magnet Hardpoints, etc.

So here I am with a Tau army to write up for a game scenario called "40K in forty minutes." The only real rule is that you can have no more than two troop options, one HQ, and an optional Heay Support, if everyone agrees. The points go just over 500 points, with enough wargear, and it's real fun. Also, anyone new to the game can learn a lot playing a few times. Anyways, me and a friend are starting our own armies and his happens to be Wolves. My questions:

1. What would be the best way to arm my troopers/XV8 to fight his Wolves/Dreadnought? Keep in mind he's using a Long Fangs pack for Heavy Support and I'm using a Hammerhead.
    2. With the section from the first question about VX8's in mind, what is the deal with hobbyists using rare earth magnets to mount weapons to XV8's and tanks, be they superior Tau units or clanking Imperial deathtraps? I've seen the magnets at RadioShack before, but I think my Craftsman drill would rip a model made of plastic (or pewter, cause' my friend thinks a Venerable Dreadnought is just sooo great) to peices. So what kind of drill should I use? And would I need to use glue to keep these magnets in place? In short, how do I do this?
    3. Lastly, is the Fusion Blaster a good idea for my XV8, granted I am fighting my friend's Wolves? That XV8 would be my tank killer/HQ, while the Hammerhead would pop Marines with the Ion Cannon, and I have never used the Fusion Blaster before. Is it a good tank buster?
    Well, anyone who answers, my thanks. This is my first post at this forum, but it looks really good, so it probably won't be my last. Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rare earth magnets are used to attach weapon confgurations so they are removable, and then you can change everything on your suit. Or, do it on your tank for changing weapons. Me, i dont do this because I'm happy with my current configurations, and see no reason to change them.

I can't tell you much about how to magnetize, but you're at the right place to find out. regarding fusion blaster, it might be better to take Fireknives (plasma, missiles with multi-tracker) the number of longer-range shots will do quite well at hurting the dreadnaught, and will be very good against the marines too.
    Last edited by Shas'O Briguy; November 7th, 2005 at 05:09.
    "I'd rather fight 100 Hammerheads than 20 Battlesuits" -Vinnie, an Ultramarine.

*Remember to use the Reputation ability! Click the yellow star beneath a name on the left side!*

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Same here, but if incase I do want to change them I don't use lots of glue, so I can snap them off or just slide a knife between the Arm and weapon.

As far as the Fusion blaster goes, that s great, but you should pair it up with either a plasma rifle, or a Missile Pod.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so Fusion Blaster good but even better with a Missile Pod or Plasma Rifle.

Neat...

Truth is, I like the Fusion Blaster a little too much, so I'm taking it on no matter what anybody says so don't even try to stop me, nah.

Anyways....I still need the drill. I can find a small enough magnet (100 for five dollars, schweet!), but I'm not even gonna' try a standard electric drill, even on its lowest torque setting. The plastic/pewter just doesn't seem strong enough. That, and I've seen photos of this conversion once, and the drill they used was more like a Dremel tool. So how about the drill? Oh, and lastly, what about a paint scheme? I liked an army I saw once with urban camo (it's on GW's site), but I want more black than white and want my army to be reminiscent of a SWAT team or something like it. Any ideas appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Try a Pin Vise.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerheadKid
    Okay, so Fusion Blaster good but even better with a Missile Pod or Plasma Rifle.

Neat...

Truth is, I like the Fusion Blaster a little too much, so I'm taking it on no matter what anybody says so don't even try to stop me, nah.

Anyways....I still need the drill. I can find a small enough magnet (100 for five dollars, schweet!), but I'm not even gonna' try a standard electric drill, even on its lowest torque setting. The plastic/pewter just doesn't seem strong enough. That, and I've seen photos of this conversion once, and the drill they used was more like a Dremel tool. So how about the drill? Oh, and lastly, what about a paint scheme? I liked an army I saw once with urban camo (it's on GW's site), but I want more black than white and want my army to be reminiscent of a SWAT team or something like it. Any ideas appreciated.
    Get yourself a Mini-mite Dremel tool. 20 bucks @ Wal-mart. Its worth its weight in gold. They sell a hobby drillbit pack for it around 8 bucks that includes all the sizes you need, including a 1/32 bit which hard to find by itself, and is great for boring gun barrels and pinning. The best for magnetizing Crisis suits is a 1/8". These are the magnets I've used http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetai...rod=D21&cat=10

I have magnetized hardpoints on all 8 of my suits. They all have different poses, so magnets let me pick and choose exactly which models I take, without being restrained by their gear. Botttom line magnets rock.
    Last edited by McCoy; November 7th, 2005 at 07:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are maybe the perfect sized magnets for this.....sweet. Okay, so we got magnets. Oh, and by the way, I found a old XV8 arm that was stepped on by my clumsy Space Wolves friend and snapped in half, so I tested the ol' Craftsman on it. With the lowest torque setting, with my smallest bit, it did just fine. So I got the drill out of the way, but thanks for the suggestions. McCoy, how exactly did you mount the magnets? My thought was to just drill a hole in the center of the suits original hardpoit to accomodate the magnet, then shave off the peg on the weapon, drill another hole centered with the hardpoints hole, and drop a magnet in it. Is that pretty much right? Also, for the purpose of MAYBE hiding these magnets, will painting them make them lose their magnetic properties? Because I figured I'd drill the holes, paint them, then set the magnets in place. Can I just paint them and keep it that much more stealth? Thanks for the help guys!

P.S.- What about drilling on or using magnets with pewter models? My Wolves friend wants magnets on all his Dreadnoughts, inluding his pewter Venerable Dreadnought he'll have as an HQ, but we don't know if pewter is magnetic, easy to drill, etc. Anybody know anything about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Well, pewter is definetly harder to drill, but all my experiance is with a Pin Vise (hand powered) but if you got some form of drill you shouldn't have too much of a problem, pewter also isn't magnetic (I just tested)

And paint work effect the magnectic properties of the magnet, I hive a some Magntes on my Dreadnought seperated by 1/8" to about 1/4", and they work fine, but ther are quite big magnets...

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shibby. Hey, maybe we should rename this thread and put up a standardized list of directions for magnetizing, especially since a lot of people on the site seem to be asking about it. I dunno', might make things easier, but it's probably up to the mods.

Anyways, what about a paint scheme? Is there a place where I can find black and white prints of Tau models? I don't have PhotoShop or even a camera, so I can't use that nifty trick with all the photo wizardry. Again, thanks for all the help and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

All this talk of magnets is making my method of 'wedge the guns into the grooves and hope they dont fall off' method seem a little lame.. problem is i have no idea where to get the magnets.. So, does anyoner know either a place IN Ireland or UK that does magnets or a site which will send them to Ireland. The site linked to above doesnt do outside usa/canada..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast