Beating Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Beating Eldar

In your mind - well you cant prove im not.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this christmas i am getting an ork foot slogging army, and my friend is getting a beardy, three wraithlord, 20 darkreaper , eldar army of some craftworld. my army doest have my anti tank, and the dark reapers dont scare me, they wont be able to kill 100+ orks. but the wraith lords do. do you think 60 gretchin will hold them up for the whole game, considering there bad leader ship.

thanx, orkslugga

The poster formaly known as VampireSoul, formaly known as OrkSlugga now known as Orkslugga.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wraithlords are a pain in the ass, no doubt. For Orks, I'd send a large mob of Boyz at them. Now I know Boyz won't even bother the Wraithlord, but that's why you throw in a Nob with a Power Claw. The Boyz take the hits while the Nob swings away. You will lose many Orks, and it can take awhile to score 3 wounds on a T8, but I don't see Orks shooting a Wraithlord to death! (Maybe Zzap guns would work though, since they don't miss.)

Grots would hold up a Wraithlord only if theres alot of them. A Slaver would help, but their leadership would cause problems. Since Grots get no size check, they would probably run away after 1-2 phases of assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

y not get some antitank stuff? your best bet would be a squad of Tankbustas or Burnaz with a Mek with SuperStikkBombs. Also give Rokkit Launchas to your boyz, 3 str 8 shots from one squad should do somethin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can a Wraithlords throw at you? 10 shots maximum each (and that's with three lucky roll). So just ignore it, the Eldar player won't know what to do then, and you can get rid of the rest of his army first, before turning on the Wraithlords. At the very most, send a Nobz squad with a shield of Grotz at them. Even so, you should think about getting some anti-tank. You really don't want to design an army aimed at a single other army. You should design an army that will be able to take on all comers, else you'll be fecked at tournies or if your friend switches army...
    "I am, after all," said Pooh, "a bear of very little brain." -- A.A. Milne

<a href='http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=7017&amp;t=1' target='_blank'>Get Firefox&#33;</a>

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with someone berfore. my frined plays orks, and i play eldar. i rarely use wriathlords because i dont htink they are good. but back to topic. if u have 4-5 sluuga boy squads. and 3 rokits in each. thats like 12 lauchas right there. somethign will hit and you can take down the lord. other then that, id say warboss and co. id say tool em up with huge choppas, bionik arm, eavy armor and bionik bounce. yu go before him if u get the Waaaaggghhh&#33; and then hit him with godly attcks, that reduce his 3+ save at str 7. yu would hit on 3 ands wound on 5+ so it kinda evens out.
    <insert witty remark here>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don&#39;t think Wraithlords are good? Have you looked at the codex recently?

Too beat a Reaper/Wraithlord Biel-Tan army is very tricky. The best advice I can give is to use a looted Leman Russ followed by squads with Powerclaws and Grots.
    The Russ with Heavy Bolters mows down the Reapers and is quite safe in return.

Grots should be used to tie-up Wraithlords while you engage the Reapers in CC. Once that&#39;s done assault the Wraithlords. With the new rules the powerclaw model can&#39;t be targetted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Wraithlords cannot do as much damage as the Reapers can&#33; Go for the Reapers first, tying the &#39;Lords up with Grotz (possibly even give the Slaver a Power Klaw, if possible) and then sweep around onto them.
    &quot;I am, after all,&quot; said Pooh, &quot;a bear of very little brain.&quot; -- A.A. Milne

<a href='http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=7017&amp;t=1' target='_blank'>Get Firefox&#33;</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree with Odd Bloke. Cut and pasted from another post:

Take note that all of your heavy weapons are assault for a reason, you need to keep advancing and get your troops into HTH. Bring the fight to him. If you hold back and dally around, he will tear you apart. Orc units are VERY hard to break, stagger your units so that one will mob up with another once they take casualties.

One last bit of advice, Wraithlords... just ignore em. Keep your units out of charge range and ignore them. They are unit killers if they get troops into HTH (no way to kill them and once in HTH it never breaks = one orc unit you can write off). Use your limited firepower to hit units you can hurt. And not to mention, ignoring them drives your opponent crazy.
    Think &#39;mission objective&#39; and not about &#39;wiping out the enemy&#39;. If it is a Recon scenario, keep your vehicles out of LOS and make a rush towards the enemy deployment zone near the end. Use tactics to win the scenario and keep from going toe-to-toe with his wraithlords. After a few games of him whining about you &#39;not fighting like a proper ork&#39; as you get another victory, he might decide to build a more balanced army that can win by scenario objective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with that last post. Too many players don&#39;t play by mission objectives, which are the core of the game. Play to win the mission, and don&#39;t play to just beat his army to a pulp. The orcs really are excellent at those mission objective missions.

A friend of mine plays chaos and his favorite comments are how this-or-that chaos troop can&#39;t be touched by my orcs. I just shrug. Don&#39;t care much. I have enough orcs so the ones that guy can nail are pretty minor. Let him beat up my poor gretchin for a couple turns slaying 100 points worth of gretchin with that 500 point model, while I go for the mission objectives and win.

Orcs have speed and numbers on their side. Use that advantage. Don&#39;t feel you have to take out every vehicle and nasty baddy that the opponent hurls at you.

Closed Thread