Dread axe - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dread axe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dread axe

well i've just started playing DE and i'm trying out a wych cult. my whole gaming club know this.
    so i went in yesterday and asked for a game and i found out my opponent's khorne daemon prince had suddenly grown a dreadaxe. now this DP and my archon (often supported by wyches) have had a couple of run ins, with the archon holding his own. the daemon princes wargear hadn't changed for a good couple of years. not even with the change from 3rd to 4th ed. now all of a sudden once there's a shadowfield around he gets a dreadaxe.
    so i refused to play him just because he's been tailoring his list.
    but in general has anyone got advice on how to deal with a flying khorne DP with a dread axe?

(for anyone that doesn't know: a dreadaxe ignores invulnerable saves. combined with daemonic stature the model ignores all saves.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't give nay advice to you, but refusing to play some one because they've changed their wargear... Ugh. That is pretty sucky. And stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lalala DARKLANCE Lalalaa.
    Your army should have some of those in it, use them on the big thing.
    Chaos does not need explaining! guess what? Chaos cannot be explained!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaHat
    Chaosdude is a dutch, heretic surfer who hangs around the red light district picking up daemonettes..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Revlid
    I can't give nay advice to you, but refusing to play some one because they've changed their wargear... Ugh. That is pretty sucky. And stupid.
    its not because of wargear. its because he tailored his list to take on mine. (there were a couple other changes, that was just easily the most recognisable)

Edit: here's some stats for you.
    1 darklance shot.
    0.66... hits
    0.55... wounds
    0.37037... get past his invulnerable save
    0.185 get past his "feel no pain" save

meaning 5.4 dark lance shots to take off a wound, 21.6 to kill him.
    Last edited by TzarNikolai; November 20th, 2005 at 14:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then you'd better start stocking up on Dark Lances. Or fixed dice. Whichever you can get your hands on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u could use warriors instead of wyches to fight him, since u dont have any kind of saves... give your sybrinate an agoniser in a squad of 20 warriors... use your wyches to take on other units... add some stuff to your list to make it unpredictable like screaming jets?? i have not tries this myself, but it might work...

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

pretty ****ty of him if he only uses that list against you... however i dont think i wouldnt play him just cause of that.

if he indeed is tailoring his list, do so yourself. it wouldnt be bad sport as both would do it.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

*shrugs* The group I play with pretty much always build new lists for each game, depending on who they're playing against. In tournaments or group games (ex: 2v2, 3v3, etc. . .) opponents are decided after armies are made, so that's pretty much the only times when we don't customise our armies to fight a specific enemy.

Really, unless your community of players has specific practices regarding army creation, you've no basis for your complaints.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ostsol
    Really, unless your community of players has specific practices regarding army creation, you've no basis for your complaints.
    its one of those unwritten rules. you have an army then you pick a game. not the other way around.
    it makes it fairer: "i came here with an army list already written, so of course i'm going to be pissed off whe you write your army list specifically to take out mine..."

i don't really want to tailor my list, i was just wondering what other people would do against such a DP. whatever your thoughts, be they tailoring your list or just in game tactics.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TzarNikolai
    its one of those unwritten rules. you have an army then you pick a game. not the other way around.
    it makes it fairer: "i came here with an army list already written, so of course i'm going to be pissed off whe you write your army list specifically to take out mine..."

i don't really want to tailor my list, i was just wondering what other people would do against such a DP. whatever your thoughts, be they tailoring your list or just in game tactics.
    A retinue of Incubi + Warriors should do the trick, IMO.

Let the Warriors take the hits (make sure there are more of them, too) and let the few Incubi do the wounding, negating armour saves, i.e. their job, and take him out. Even let a Dracon, etc. take the hits for you.

Also, you have an extremely high chance of always going before him ... with your HQ, at least. So, just make your first round of combat one that hits incredibly hard.

Shoot at the DP, and let it come to your Archon/retinue. You should be able to take a wound or two off of it (don't focus all fire on it - that will free the rest of his army up) by the time it charges into CC, and since your HQ should have a higher Initiative, you should be able to take him down. Your Incubi and Warriors should be striking at the same time as him, too, so ... I don't see where he's that huge of a threat.

The highest Toughness he can get is T6 with Daemonic Resilience and Daemonic Stature. Alrighty. So, how is your Archon equipped?

I'd take an Archon with an Agoniser, Splinter Pistol, Shadow Field (for the rest of his army), and Combat Drugs. Relatively cheap at 131 points, and you could even just drop the Shadow Field if you want, bringing it down to 106 points. Add a retinue with around 6 Warriors and 2-4 Incubi (maybe even an Incubi Master) and take the hurt to him.

edit: Woops. I can't read, haha. Wyche Cult, right. Well, same could possibly happen, but you'll just have to rely on your HQ alone, no retinue, to deal the damage.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast