Eldar Tactica Expansion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Ok, I've noticed not many post in my Eldar tactica, so I would like you help to do a breakdown of the Eldar codex.

What I’ll do is post a choice (e.g. Farseer) and what I would like you nice people to do is to disassemble it. When you reply if you put what you are replying to in Bold at top, it’ll make it easier for me to see what it is. Once I have enough for that choice I’ll move onto the next.

After I have a decent amount for each choice, I will post them all in the Eldar Tactica. This will make it easy to use (so you don’t have to go through all the posts to find the best), and should hopefully cut down of the “What’s the best aspect squad?? or “What the best combo for …? etc. After the Vanilla eldar, I’ll start going through the main craftworlds.

But being as this is going to be big, any help would be welcome. If you would like to help, PM with: Your craftworld, How long you’ve been playing and anything else you think will be useful. I will then chose five (hopefully) and these five will get to do certain choices, and will proofread the final copy before it’s posted. They will also be named and thanked in final copy, everyone else who posts will get a general thanks (e.g. ?Thanks to all those that posted?).

So I hope this will turnout all right, This is for Vanilla Eldar first then craftworlds and here’s the first:

Why use him? Is it a good choice?
    What’s his strengths/weaknesses?
    Where should/shouldn’t he be used?
    Best equipment
    3-5 of you best combos (make this clear, if it for vs. a certain race, say so)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, i think that the best way to use him is in an Ulthwe Strike force, and put him in the wraithgate with your reserves. When the gate is opened, preferably near the enemy lines, you can charge out your avatar with ,say, a howling banshee squad, and kill the front line of the enemy. Think about it... +1 for charge... holwing banshees go first in cc and probably wipe out the enemy... and the avatar deals out loads of damage with the WS 10 then kills automatically because of the monstrous creature rule! yum..... fresh Avatar home-roasted Tau!!!
    FROM THE BOOK OF THE IMPERIUM:

1. Thou shalt not go on a panty raid in the Adaptus Soritus temple.
    2. Thou shalt not flirt with Howling Banshees. They are the enemy.
    3. Thou shalt not refer to Battle Sisters as Bolter Biatches
    4. Darth Vader isn’t the son of Abaddon
    5. Thou shalt not reassemble a Necron into a washing machine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Thanks, anyone else? Oh, well. Well I don't know much but I suppose I'll add my thoughts

The avatar is a beast in combat, but everyone knows this so it'll be targetted quickly by almost everything they have. So if you can use cover, or fortune to make sure it gets there as unscathed as possible.

Now once it's in combat here's where it really shines. The best thing to do in to charge other units with it ie Storm Squads, Aspect Warriors, this way they should all hopefully benefit from it's presence. But don't expect it to do to much, yaeh it's good but in supported it's a good as dead.

So basically make sure it's supported and put him where he'll do most damage and most needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One tip: Just because it's considered a daemon doesn't mean it can take on a Bloodthirster. It's good at taking out squads weaker than it, so even if it mean being slightly unfluffy, get the hell away from what you don't know you can obliterate utterly when using the Avatar. Use a wraithlord for such situation. Failing that, 18 starcannon shots is not going to let much survive. :lol:
    OMFG1337!!!!111one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why use him? Is it a good choice?

Avatars makes a great HQ becuase they are tough, enhance your other troops, make a good HtoH unit and are cheap compared to a tricked out farseer with retinue.

Many aldar players do not use a wraithlord to do any actual damage but to draw away fire power from the other less durable units who will deal damage. Avatars are almost as good as wraithlords at doing this. and with some other durable eldar units makes a good spear head into the enemy (albiet a slow spear head at only 6" a move).

While not a very good reason by itself to take an Avatar the ability to keep your untis from breaking and running so much is a very nice bonus to any army.

If your army is lacking in good HtoH units (like my alaitoc army) this guy could easily be used to hold down units of much weaker oponents like say gaunts or imperial guard for an entire game or possible annihilate some squads. He should be able to hold off some of the better HtoH units for at least a few turns while you rearange your army to deal with the HtoH threat.

Also if you decided to wait for your opponent to come to you he should be able to stop a few transports with the monsterous creature rules.

At the points there asking for, you migth as well, especially if you cant afford a tricked out farseer and dont need guide or fortune that much.

What’s his strengths/weaknesses?

well I went over his strengths earlier in the post so here are his weaknesses.

Slow movement. In Warhammer 40K manueverability is key to many victories. at only 6" a turn he might have a problem with keeping up with the rest of your army ad he doesnt fit inside any transports (believe me I tried to squish one in there and aside from melting the hull he overloaded the anitgrav boosters and the vehicle only ended up moving 6" anyways *chuckles*).

Cant change hsi equipment. this means he is much less versitile. Many of the other large creatures have the ability to change there equipement. He has no options what so ever. There will be no tricking your opponent into thinking hes something hes not.

He is not so durable that you can just leave him out in the open against really shooty armies. So keep him behind cover but within 12" of a good traveling lane to the bulk of your troops if in thsi situation. Or let him take a few shots to redirect fire away from another more important squad. If you go with this later option dont expect him to earn his points back as he will probably die after one maybe two rounds of sustained heavy weapons fire. This is not a bad thing as he is supporting another valueable unit in your army.

Where should/shouldn’t he be used?

just infront of a bulk of your basic troops. He can take the brunt of an assult and help keep your guys fighting instead of wetting there pants

Best equipment

N/A

3-5 of you best combos (make this clear, if it for vs. a certain race, say so)

in higher points game if you have him supported by a couple of wrathlords they can actually make a very tough HtoH team. but beware they are slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Hey thanks I'll give it a few more days and if no-one else replays for the avatar I'll move onto Farseers. So anyone else?

Closed Thread