carnifex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carnifex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carnifex

my friend has tau and he wants to know how to take down a carnifex because my other friend has 4 of them

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

First thought is Ioncannon, it provides 3 S7 AP3 shots

I know that you will only hit with something like two shots and give it perhaps one wound, else my solution is a lot of shots, since it will fail some saves. A team of FWs should easily kill a fex. And you should be able to outshoot it and I think that you always can target it since it is a TMC
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, if they're choppy 'Fexes (as opposed to chooty 'Fexes), ignore them.

The Carnifex is one of the slowest units in the Tyranid army, and a fully upgraded 'Fex can prove nearly impossible to put down. So, if they're not a threat to you, ignore them.

However, if they're in your way or carry a ranged weapon (watch out for the double-devourer trick, it's short ranged, but it can lay down a LOT of high-strength fire), simple concentrated firepower will be your best bet.

Ion Cannons, Railguns (Broadsides work better than Railheads for this since they get more shots), Fusion Guns, and Missile Pods are all effective against Fexes and the other big bugs. If you have Pathfinders on the table, use them to light up the Fex for a Seeker barrage (The 4th Tau Heavy Support Choice(tm)). He gets a save, but it still wounds on a 2+.

Railguns alone often aren't enough against these monsters, since they have an annoying tendency to regenerate wounds at inopportune moments.

Also, this Tyranid player fields four Carnifexes, which means he's using one of them as an Elites Choice. Elite Carnifexes have to be under a certain points limit, which means they generally won't have the same degree of "WTF?!!?" annoyance that the big Heavy Support 'Fexes do.

Identify this cheaper Carnifex and make a point of killing it. It isn't worth as much as his other three, but it's one less Monsterous Creature running amok in your lines and more VPs for you.

If my opponent puts Six Carnifexes on the table, I will gladly counter him with nine Broadsides (and six Crisis Suits, and a Shas'O, and eight Pathfinders, and...). Tau have little to fear from Monster-heavy Nid armies.

Peace! (through superior firepower)
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They probably have the 2+ armor upgrade, so only plamsa and railguns are effective. he best advice is to avoid them for as long as possible. You're faster than they are.
    "I'd rather fight 100 Hammerheads than 20 Battlesuits" -Vinnie, an Ultramarine.

*Remember to use the Reputation ability! Click the yellow star beneath a name on the left side!*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plasma rifles. A crisis suit can easily keep out of charge range while pelting the fex with rapid fire AP2 shots. Focus fire, 4 fexes with 1 wound each aren't worth as much as a dead fex, and if they're not a threat outmanuever them. I can't find my codex now, but I'm pretty sure the elite slot fex can't get a 2+ armor save.

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

It can't the cheapest fex with 2+ save cost 121 pts, which is 6 pts more than the cut for being elite choise
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Instinct
    Plasma rifles. A crisis suit can easily keep out of charge range while pelting the fex with rapid fire AP2 shots. Focus fire, 4 fexes with 1 wound each aren't worth as much as a dead fex, and if they're not a threat outmanuever them. I can't find my codex now, but I'm pretty sure the elite slot fex can't get a 2+ armor save.

Depends on when in the game it is. Remember that TMCs with less than half their original number of wounds left don't count as scoring units. That means that in a quarters or objectives game, 'Fexes down to one or two wounds can't score.

So, if you can knock them down below 50% strength and then avoid them for the rest of the battle, do so. It saves time and means more turns left to use those big guns on other targets.
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the same problem with the local tyranid player. He fields 3 sets of the heavy monsters:

Tyrant with whip/sword/V. Cannon and 3 guards

Winged Tyrant with dual scything talons, and a few psychic abilities

Loaded carnifex (5 wounds, 2+ save, toughness 7)

I've yet to be able to drag down any of these, closest I've gotten is lowering the tyrant w. guards to 1 wound, but that cost me more that it gave me points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When in doubt, Jump shoot jump.

Find some nice terrain to harass it from and knock it around a bit. As long as you're faster than it is it can't really hurt you, plasma shots will sting it more so than rail shots, as volume will be required...Save your rail guns for ordinance vs the little ones

If you feel truely threatened by it, you could always just direct every firewarrior you have to fire at it...That'd knock it down a wound or two...Outside of that just jumpshoot or run away from it if you are mech tau. A nid army without it's gaunts/etc isn't very effective...Having just 1 or two big targets makes them easier without their rediculously fast little targets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

Pulse weapon fire can wound a carnifex, but it is awfully inefficient. 10 fire warriors shooting rapid fire at a carnifex without extended carapace will, on the average, cause 1 wound. If the carnifex has EC then you need to use 19 fire warriors to get that 1 wound average. If he has bonded exoskeleton and EC then you need 39 fire warriors shooting rapid fire. Ouch, holy wasted shooting at gaunts, warriors, and raveners Batman.

I fear two things with my big Tyranids. Those are broadsides and well-equipped crisis suit teams. Broadsides with multi-trackers and the secondary weapon system upgraded to twin-linked plasma are pretty ugly. Two of them shooting at a carnifex, even outside of rapid fire range, will cause 2 wounds on the average. EC does not help due to the AP, but bonded exoskeleton reduces it to 1.8 wounds. What will inhibit your ability to wound with railguns and plasma is if the Tyranid can get into cover, even just some trees.

Oh, and if you can rapid fire the plasma, you get 2.76 wounds. Even being in trees will only reduce that to 1.8.

I have played around with the best configuration for crisis suits versus monstrous creatures like the tyrant and carnifex. I think that I have settled on this:

Shas'o with plasma rifle and missile pod. Multi-tracker and shield generator.
    2 bodyguards armed the same:plasma rifle and missile pod. Multi-tracker and drone controller with 2 shield drones.

The drones are there to help you soak up fire, because Tyranids can be shooty and the heavier weapons on monstrous creatures will insta-kill your crisis suits. You need four to take advantage of the mixed armor rules. A unit like this, even outside of rapid fire range, will cause 1.5 wounds per turn to a carnifex without bonded exoskeleton, but with extended carapace. It is also devastating against warriors and genestealers, their best chance is to get in cover and hope for the best. Heck, this is a very flexible unit, not matter what army you are fighting.

If you are not going to be shot at, then just go for twin-linked plasma on the bodyguards, instead of the drone controller.

Railheads average .7 wounds per turn against a carnifex with EC in the open. Ionheads average .35. It looks bad like that, but them taking cover does not affect the ionhead's stats, while a carnifex in the trees reduces the railhead to .5 wounds. A carnifex behind a high wall or such makes the two even steven. The ionhead is very effective against an elite carnifex (and 1 of those 4 has to be an elite carnifex if the list is legal). It will do 1.6 wounds per turn.

I suggest using two units of crisis suits, as detailed above, a unit of 3 broadsides, and one or two hammerheads with your choice of ion cannon or railgun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast