Phoenix lord in ulthwe army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phoenix lord in ulthwe army

i've got the standard-never say die seer council and i'm looking to feild a second hq and i hate the avater model and i don't want a daemon on the feild as i play against inquisitors alot so i'm looking to feild a phoenix lord. curently in troops i have 2 black guardian defenders and 1 storm squad and am looking for cc squad already have dire avengers and howling banshees so can include 1 more aspect squad and it will form a body guard for phoenix lord.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Most of them are pretty good, even if Maugan Ra is more of a combat character than a shooty one :w00t:.

I'm biased towards the models of Asurmen, Baharroth and Karandras. They are all quite deadly in combat, and there's a sneaky 1st turn charge with Karandras when you have escalation if you want it since he can FoF.

Go with whatever appeals to you and your army - they are all reasonably equal in terms of power (although sustained assault and S4 on Baharroth is very nasty).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

First of all, do your opponent allow you to use Special Characters?
    If so, go which whatever wuits you. As already pointed out, they are about equally good.
    I would take Maugan Ra 'cus he is the coolest of 'em :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

No! Don't Take Maugan Ra! He is the worst and most pointless phoenix lord of them all and he is certainaly not the coolest. The best Lord for attack is Baharoth with his unlimited attack potential and the best for defence and tying up units is Asurmen. Fuegan is an all rounder and can do anything with his strength 5 rerrol to wound power weapon and his 2 shots from his firepike, I think Jain Zar is useful for killing that 'hidden' powerfist, Karandras can infiltrate and he is the best lord for teamwork as he really adds to a squad's killing power, Maugan Ra is pointless and is just a high strength power weapon, he can't move and fire his puny useless heavy weapon and he can't assault after firing either, he is useless in a dark reaper squad and he's inferior to the other lords. sure he is cheaper but it is an insignificant difference in cost. My faveorite lord is asurmen for his cool model, fluff and how his is almost unkillable. Seriouslly the 120 attacks that a charging mob of 30 orks puts out will only do about 1 wound to him if he is fortuned. Don't believe me? Take a look at the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel
    First of all, do your opponent allow you to use Special Characters?
    If so, go which whatever wuits you. As already pointed out, they are about equally good.
    I would take Maugan Ra 'cus he is the coolest of 'em :yes:
    in 4th ed. this old rule is nullified as you "must" agree to the use of special character... I can't tell you the page number as of yet since I do not have my book with me...

Maugen Ra can be a fun pheonix lord, but I also like fuegan and asurman, although Baharoth is very powerful as well... fuegan or maugen ra, thats what I think...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

Take any of them........ just not Maugan Ra......... the rest of them have their uses maugan ra is just pointless. As far as fluff is concerned, Ulthwe is most likely to get Jain Zar or Maugan Ra to help but If you give an ok reason and of them will do.......... except maugan ra because he is terrible........

As Da Mighty Camel said, their all about equal..........except maugan ra.........
    Last edited by Tenozuma; November 25th, 2005 at 12:21.

Dark Eldar player.

Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really do want to stick to background and rules ....it's an ulthwe' armywith only 3 guardian squads so i can only have 3 aspect squad as i said above i've already got howling banshees and i decided to drop the dire advengers in favour of a reaper squad so with this in mind i can include 1 more squad of aspects as i plan to put the phoenix lord in it so it's fearless it has to be a squad of howling banshees or scorpions as fearless makes them that much better

so with the above info i wish to know which is better-maugan ra in reaper and forget about
    3rd aspect
    - karandas and a unit of scorpions
    -jain in 2cnd banshee squad

i know barroth is more powerful and would fit in with the fluff but i hate hawk models and out of curiosity how come warp spiders and shining spears don't have a phoenix lord they are aspect's arn't they

on a final note my army fluff is that a section of ulthwe got sick of taking orders from that aragant butthole eldrad left in charge so have decided to strike out on their own and reclaim one of the old planets that had to be abandonded after the fall however the imperials have since claimed it and the close proximety to the eye means it suffers alot of mini chaos crusade's and to make manner's worse the nids and tau have there eye on it too also rumours of ork and necron activity keep reaching the ears of my council....but no one said being a elder was easy so it's time to dust off the witchblades and show them the true meaning of waaaaggghh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

Take either Karandras in a Scorp Squad (fluffy) Karandras in a Banshee Squad (very effective) or Feugan in a Fire Dragon Squad (fluffy and pretty effective) Oh and if you really must take maugan ra (don't) put him on his own as he is useless in a reaper squad and a normal reaper would kill as much as him...... he is the price of 2 exarchs and I'd take them over him anyday, they have twice the range, they are more flexible with their missile launchers and they pierce marine armour.

Dark Eldar player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah i really hate maugan ra the only thing going for em is the model i only put him in the prievious post cause i thought someone would tell me his purpose on the battlefield.

the other ones were jain and karandas so basically which one is better for a ulthwe army karandas in scorp squad or jain in banshee squad (no mixing)

i don't like furgeon cus i got's seer coincil storm squad falcon and wraithlord all excell in tankhunting

stormsquad,fusionguns,warlock,witchblade,haywiregrenades= lotsa expensive scrapmetal
    Last edited by Plague_00; November 25th, 2005 at 16:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorMarcus
    in 4th ed. this old rule is nullified as you "must" agree to the use of special character... I can't tell you the page number as of yet since I do not have my book with me...

Maugen Ra can be a fun pheonix lord, but I also like fuegan and asurman, although Baharoth is very powerful as well... fuegan or maugen ra, thats what I think...

Yeah, I have never read the whole "agreeing to use SC" in the new edition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast