1st battle against the marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st battle against the marines

Good day everyone

Im up against the marines tonight for the 1st time.
    1200pts
    I know his army includes terminator squad , crusader and dreadnaught.
    Im taking hammerhead, 3 broadsides, 3 crisis suits , 2 fire warrior squads etc etc

Just wondered how people had got on against the marines in general?

silentleeb

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i dont play tau yet, but i have played with sm's for awhile,
    and one obvious thing is with the termis is watch for deepstrikes, keep youre weaker people well guarded.

but thats probly obvious thing anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, I've never been up against a land raider crusader, but they can be killed (and the weapons range isnt the greatest) and also the deepstriking termies will be a pest, but you can out mobilize them, and also out gun them. What you do is you have all of the units that can't deepstrike on the table and then have all the units that can deepstrike do so, so when your enemie is about half way towards you, you send you boys behind his lines, and jump shoot jump his but to death. Against the crusader you should railgun it to death, Simple as that. Same goes for dreadnoughts. Is your commander accompanied by bodygaurds? So you should drop them and either get something more useful. IM not sure if broadsides will help you, too much movement, not too much shooting. Thats bout it but Im sure I will think of new things to tell you about. Godd luck!
    loves the funeral for hearts.

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Basicly you have to keep them on the range and field a lot of shooty troops. I will suggest three full teams of FWs, no Ethereal since they can deepstrike down and kill him. Ionhead could be a solution, but I will rather go with Railhead and use their alternative fire (sub). For elite choice srealths could be good, but still keep them in cover using their jump packs.

I would skip the broads and get another Hammerhead, you will be better set with that.

I haven't playes SMurfs yet, but their 3+ save could be a pain in the arse. And make sure to keep your crisis's safe... near table edges so there is a change for him to deep strike out of table....
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Crusader: Ok, the first time I fought a Crusader, I horribly underestimated it. Bad mistake. It will turn a squad of Fire Warriors into fishy goo if it gets the chance-it rolls a LOT of dice. Not to mention the fact that it can quickly roll up and disgorge a bunch of I10 (Thanks to the Frag Launchers) onto a squad of Fire Warriors.
    To deal with it, hit it with every Railgun you can as soon as you can. Try as hard as you can to deploy your Broadside team with LOS to the Crusader. If you're lucky, he'll mount his Terminators in it. That's a very scary and VERY expensive unit. If you can hit it with 3 Railguns, it'll probably at least be stuck for a moment, and likely gone. But make sure you deal with it FAST, because it's a damn dangerous unit.

Dreadnought: Not as big a target, but should be dealt with quickly. If he's using the AssCan/CCW combo, it's death to your Fire Warriors. If it's a TLLC/ML combo, it's death to Battlesuits, especially your Broadside team. He'll likely have it deployed behind terrain, so I'd allocate your Hammerhead to deal with it, as it can probably move to get LOS on it. But don't throw away your Hammerhead just to deal with it-a Hammerhead runs 160+ points, a Dreadought tops out at around 140-ish. Keep in mind that Plasma Rifles and Missile Pods can it it too-not easily, but they can.

Terminators: They're not as scary as they seem, especially for Tau. Once the Dreadnought and the LRC are dealt with, you can use Railguns to turn a Terminator into a smoking pair of boots. Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters work just as well, and Crisis Suits can run circles around them.
    Also, remember, if you throw enough Pulse Rifle shots at them, they'll bite it. However, like I said, he'll likely have them in the LRC.

General Tactics:
    12 Fire Warriors will kill an average of 1.5 Marines per volley (12 shoot, 6 hit, 4 wound, on average 1.5 fail their saves). Keep up the fire. If you have Devilfish for you Fire Warriors, use a Fish of Fury on them (Haul up, dump the Fire Warriors within 12'', rapid fire with the Fire Warriors, and use the Devilfish's drones and Burst Cannon, too. That can kill around 3-4 Marines. And then they have to get through the Devilfish to charge you.

Don't forget your secondary weapons! If you can shoot something with the secondary guns on a Broadside or Hammerhead, do it! I've forgetten them so many times.

Don't waste a Railgun on a Marine unless you have nothing better to shoot. It's tempting to just vapourize a Marine with a Railgun, but he's just as dead as if he got hit with a Pulse Rifle in game terms, and you've got lots more of those. Save them for Terminators and tanks.

If you've got a sqaud coming scarily close, don't forget Devilfish drones. Detach them and charge the Marines-it'll probably slow them down for a turn, and, honestly, they could kill a Marine (Striking first, hits on a 4, wounds on a 5, 4 hits, I believe. Plus the Carbine shots that could pin the Marines. And they're expendable.)
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hah! You said AssCan (not the abbrv. I woulda used).

Anyway.......Plasma Rifles, Plasma Rifles, Plasma rifles.

Also Rail Rifles.

Rail head, maybe some Broadsides for the LRC. This is only 1200 pts, he's taking an LRC? People call me crazy for taking one in 1500 pts.

Stealths are always good, they don't get assaulted by anything except hormagaunts.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I can't really cover it much better than Broadside Pilot. Kudos to him.

However, I do have to stress one thing: don't underestimate the power of his standard infantry! There are many potentially nasty bits in his list, and while they should take some of your attention, don't allow them to take all of your attention. The standard Tactical Squad could do more damage to your army than a full Terminator Squad, if ignored long enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis
    I can't really cover it much better than Broadside Pilot. Kudos to him.

However, I do have to stress one thing: don't underestimate the power of his standard infantry! There are many potentially nasty bits in his list, and while they should take some of your attention, don't allow them to take all of your attention. The standard Tactical Squad could do more damage to your army than a full Terminator Squad, if ignored long enough.
    Always so wise Lost Nemesis, but yes you are right, but didn't that count for almost every unit???? If you ignore them long enough all units can do much damage:tongue:

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Arakiaz
    Always so wise Lost Nemesis, but yes you are right, but didn't that count for almost every unit???? If you ignore them long enough all units can do much damage:tongue:
    True, but people tend not to ignore things like Terminators or Land Raiders; they do tend to ignore things like that little 6-man Tactical squad, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

I ignore them after they have tasted my pie-plate..... I mean sub-shot with my Railhead

+ Reply to Thread