Little Crystals - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little Crystals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little Crystals

Can any1 tell me how to make or where i can buy the little crystals that i see on many necron bases like these:
    http://groups.msn.com/TotalNecrons/t...to&PhotoID=764

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Hi- I think they were covered in the codex, or maybe a white dwarf that came out at the same time. They're not really crystals but shaped plastic or some type of styrene that has been cut to shape and given very abrupt highlights. Check the GW necron site- they might have a hint there.

Rockn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built mine with hexagonal rods that I cut to the desired length, and sharpened to a point. Took only a couple minutes to make dozens. From the looks of it, the person who made the mini in that photo probably did the same. Try looking at

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineCatalog.lasso

and type in "hexagonal rod" in the search field. A pack of 8 or 10 rods is $2 USD or so. I bought a pack of them at my local model train shop. You could also make them for free. It takes more effort, though not much. Just use old pieces of plastic sprue, and cut them into hexagonal shapes. Glue the little plastic crystals to your base before adding the flock so that they will have a nice solid bond to the plastic.

You can even make them out of the translucent green sprues that come with the gauss rods. That type of plastic is more brittle though, and carving it is a bit of a pain (though it can be done).

Marcus
    Last edited by PygmyHippo; November 28th, 2005 at 21:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I bought actual Quartz crystals and broke them off with a chisel from the rock they were attached to. Once I was done I realized I was bleeding rather heavily from the numerous lacerations the quartz caused as it is sharper than broken glass. So don't be an idiot like me and use the rods as suggested. :tongue:
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-the wraith and deciever bases also come with crystals, so if you have one, and want a crystal on something else, just move it.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the green plastic the gauss rods come in, and then I cut them in jagged crystal shapes.

+ Reply to Thread