You opinion on Storm Boys - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

You opinion on Storm Boys

After playing countless numbers of games vs 40K orks I have notice what i feel is a very effective unit in the Storm boys. I am beginning to begin a 40K ork army and started with the storm boys. Many players where i play do not use them (the ork players) and others feel they are useless. What do you think on them and why. Please don't post with "i think their great" give me a real reason as i'm consider 3 big mobs of them. Here's my reason.

For their points cost I find them very effective. In this I am refering to they are the only unit at their points that can move 12 and assault 6 with the bonus of Waagh, Choppas and possibility to bring a special character giving them a 12 inch assault move. My feeling is with 3 mobs and a kan blockers unit I can move 6 and be able to assault 3 differnt units with a little luck. Granted without saves (6+!) they are very vulnerable, but this is a risk i feel one can take in playing orks. Off a charge your bringing 4 attacks a piece, and in a mob of 10+ that's over 40 attacks. I also play IW and Eldar, and no other army can match this.

My only thought is that for a few more points a Eldar play can bring Banshees. The bring 3 attacks a turn, always strike first off charge, power weapon, fleet and 4+ save. however they max at 10 a squad, where Storm boys can go over 10. With the Exarch at their high initative they would probably drop a quarter of the mob in the first wave... however the mob will probably still knock down more than half the Banshees, and probably outnumber if they win.

That's my comparison, what do you think and please use an example

40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ALWAYS RUN A FULL SQUAD OF 20 SB. AND OUTFIT THE NOB WITH PCLAW AND CHOPPA AND IRON GROB. TO RAISE LD. I WOULNDT RUN MORE THAN ONE SQUAD CAUSE THEY ARE ARE USE MORE AS A DIVERSION TO ME. WHILE MY KANS, DREADS OR WHAT EVER ELSE MARCHES UP. THEY USALLY GET KILLED BUT THEY JUMP ON PEOPLE SO FAST TIEING THEM UP AND STOPPPING FIRING LANES TO ALLOW OTHER STUFF TO GET INTO POSITION. I LIKE THEM BUT. 1 FULL SQUAD WITH A PC IS ENOUGH THOUGH THEY ARE EXPESIVE. AND THE GIFT OF A ORK AMY IS NUMBERS. IF YO WAIST TO MUCH POINTS ON THESE UNITS YOUR NUMBERS WILL BE AFFECTED. remember the way to win with orks is numbers. for the price of a full sb squad. you prob could field a full slugga boy sqaud with burnas think about it. i do love sb they are very effective. even with there high cost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, isn't that a bit too much caps mr_smoke?

about stormboyz, i find they are quite useful. big mobs are quite good, as then the risk of running away is lessened greatly. 3 units might be a bit too much, but if you like them then go ahead. they are quite pricey, but if used well can really bring you victory. take a nob with a powerklaw and this unit can take tougher things down.

units of 15-20 are preferred as you'll be able to automatically pass your mob size checks while waaaghing and taking morale checks. shielding them with a grot squad or some sort of a cover and then assaulting over some terrain to participate or launch an important assault.
    The keyword here is timing. don't waste them on futile assaults, as they are very expensive (for an ork that is) and as fragile as a normal ork.

just my ramblings...
    Last edited by Lloyba; November 30th, 2005 at 20:42.
    Spoiling is a way of life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive never actully used them but they seem a bit expensive for ork units. Howerever, i've heard how effective they can be in CC especially with Zagstruk. Personally, i play Snakebites and I want to get a unit of boarboyz for they get fleet of foot plus 12 inches and might be a bit more effective. That or have my warboss and retuine on cyboars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Orks have to work together.

The main problem with storm boyz is that people tend to send them off to do something on their own. They need support units with them, or they'll die.

Example 1: Storm boyz fly off, crash into enemy unit, destroy enemy unit and are left alone to soak up incoming fire with their 6+ save. Dead storm boyz.

Example 2: Storm boyz fly off, crash into enemy unit, don't win, get stuck in battle of attrition with unit, as more enemy units throw themselves into the fight. Once again, relatively expensive and now dead orks.

Storm boyz can be effective, but they need other units to be hitting the enemy lines at the same time to avoid all this unpleasantness. Truck boyz are good for this, as are anything else that can keep up to the storm boyz.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=The_kives]hmm, isn't that a bit too much caps mr_smoke?

I forget i have caps on because im at work and everything that i type has to be in caps.

storm boyz work fine, as long as you give them the proper support. 3 squads is definitly overdoing it make sure you give iron grob or somthing of the sort because they cant mob up. also a power claw always helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are just too expensive and too vulnerable. They are one of the only (if not the only) jet pack troops that cannot deep strike.

However, there will probably be tweeks to their point costs and possibly their abilties as the points of the Assault Marine Counterparts were lowered by 3.

I really like the rule they have for the vulcha sqwad. It is more realistic for the common storm boy, as they are supposed to be fierce ork warriors with a slight case of insanity, but have the same exact statline as the basic boy.

Junior Member Da_Biggest_N_Da_Meanest's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find SB work best when using to support units like a mob in a trukk, or getting past enemy lines to wreak havoc on enemy firebases, like SM devestator squads
    We Was Made fur war, N we orks cant be beten, ani one wo says dey can bet us weil giv dem a thrashin, includin stupid armud hummis

+ Reply to Thread