Welcome to Librarium Online!
I just read Tanya Tau's excellent article on magnetic weapons mounts.
And popped straight over to AI parts to order some magnets.
My idea was to place a magnet at each of the suits hardpoints and imbed a piece of ferrous metal (paper clip should work) in each of the guns and other bits.
This will allow me to use fewer magnets AND avoid any polarity problems.
Just wondering if anyone else has tried it this way.
Or, if you have some of A1's little 1/8x1/8 rod magnets, are they strong enuf to be used this way??
Fear the Wolf !!
i have seen several of people use this idea and it worked fairly well.thought they bigger magnets i do not know if those will be big enogh to hod broadside guns.
I have used the bit-o-metal (usually pieces snipped off paper clips) technique on some of my magnetic mounts, typically where I needed to mount something very small, like antennea arrays, which would be difficult to drill an 1/8 hole for mounting into. It works fine. I also used this method for making the clasps for an openable door conversion that I did on my devilfish.
a 1/8 by 1/8 Neobdymium magnet will be WAY strong enough to handle this. It's actually overkill for mounting most plastic parts. I use mostly 1/8 x 1/32 magnets from K&J Magnetics for my mounts, becuase then I don't have to drill in so deep in order to get a flush mount. IMHO K&J has better (faster) service and a better selection of products than A1.
I :wub: magnets.
I just found K&J magnets today. At the bottom of this thread actually. And now I am sorry I wasted money at A1. My A1 order cost me more in shipping than for the product :rolleyes:
K&J has some 1/16" x 1/16" rod magnets. They should fit right in the slots on the XV8 arms. And the specs on them say the have .3 LB of pull. Which should be more than enuf even for a Battlesuit Railgun.
I got the side doors on my Land Raider to open by drilling a hole thru the hinges and using a piece of guitar string for the hinge.
But there is not enuf plastic on the Devilfish to do it that way.
How did you do the hinge part loosestrife?
Fear the Wolf !!
It was not easy. As you've noticed, the hinge on the bottom of the devilfish side doors is too narrow and long to drill all the way through with good results. So instead, I cut about 1/8 inch off each end of it and then set a pin in each side. I then drilled out the center of each hinge connecter on the body of the Fish, making a small loop. I put the door in position, and slipped the pins through the loops into their slots in the door hinge itself. Follow up with a drop of glue on the door part to hold the pin in place, and the door opens and closes rotating on the pin in the little loops.
They do wobble a little from side to side, next time I'll try to make them fit a little tighter.
I set a magnet in the top of the doorway in the fish itself, and then matched it with a small peice of metal snipped from a paper clip and pounded flat with a hammer that I glued to the door itself.
Thanks loosestrife. That sounds doable.
My first DF is all done with the side doors glued in place.
But I will see if I can pull off your hinge trick on the next one.
I think vehicles with opeing doors and detailed interiors are cool.
Even if it does take some extra time.
I wish I could get a good pic of the inside of my Land Raider.
Fear the Wolf !!
I agree, it is cool to do up the insides of the transports. It is a lot of extra work though... and it can get you a reputation for being slightly crazy.