Hormagaunts, Scythegaunts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

I've seen alot about scythegaunts but lotys of people like hormagaunts, which is better or which bio-morph setup is best for a CC gaunt???

You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

If you wanna use biomorphs then its best to replicate hormagaunts but give them toxin sacs (+1 strength really helps against marines and other things allowed)
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I am partial to my own version of Hormies, Rippergaunts :

+1 WS
    +1 S
    Leaping
    Scything Talons
    Implant Attack

14 Pts/Model. Yes, I know - its too expensive for a gaunt. But I like them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

implant attack??? what??? how many multi-wound creatures are you up agianst. personally if i ever give anything implant attack, i give it to my tyrant to take out greater demons and HQs

maybe you dont understand what the implant attack is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Implant attack on Gaunts eh? Intriguing. Have you found it useful then? (I've had implant attack on a rending claws warrior for while now, but never managed to make much of it.)

I'd recommend giving your Gaunts +1I and WS where possible, the extra initiative means that your 16-32 strong squad of Hormagaunts get to roll their 32+ dice before the Marines can strike back. (64 d6 with a squad of 32, and you can probably add another 32 for charging, as that's what Hormies are good at - hehehehehe....)

Count Jasper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well let me say this much - you will never ever EVER forget the look on your thousand sons opponant when you charge his marines with 20 of these puppies .

I just enjoy having implant attack. Anyone who can have it in my army does. Its a theme thing. Its not amazing by any stretch but its really cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I can imagine. Have you tried the extended carapace with that as well? I've been testing it out lately on my Hormies, and it seems to work pretty well, provided I drop one of them and a spinegaunt. Doubles your chances of saving a gaunt, so in CC they have a lot greater staying power - hopefully enough for the 'stealers to get up close and nasty.

-=Count Jasper=-

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Extended Carapace isn't worth the points on gaunts unless they already are very expensive.
    The fact that you double the chance to save is irrelevant, what matters is that the chance to fail is reduced by only 20% (and it's not going to help you against bolters at all).

Take into account that for the better resilience with extended carapace you don't only have less models on the table (which is evened out with the better chance to save), but also less punch - so your opponents will live longer and kill more gaunts before they die.

If you use it on hormagaunts, then the performance in close combat is quite the same. It's a waste of points against AP5 though, therefore not recommended.

On cheaper gaunts it's definitely not worth the points.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with AA's assessment of Extended Carapace. I give it to my Carni/Tyrant for the 2+, and I give it to my Warriors for the 4+ just to make them immune to the legion of AP 5 weapons that abound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. The problem with going deep into statistics for this is that they can prove anything, so I'll try not to, although I will mention that the overall effect is that in CC, 1 in 3 gaunts will live as opposed to 1 in 6, and that it will cost you 1 of every 11 gaunts. End statistics.

The idea is that since your gaunts are cannon fodder, they are there to hold up the enemy until you can get your 'stealers etc in range. Yes, they can be shot at, but FoF gaunts with leaping won't hang around too long to be shot at. Now you're in close combat, AP5, etc, all irrelevant, unless you cleverly assaulted a dreadnought with powerfists.
    Your gaunts will, because of the carapace, survive that combat longer, therefore tying down the opponent for longer. Therefore giving stealers more time to move forwards and take over the fight.

It's sort of compensating for that Shoot the Big Ones rule that we all hate (whether it's fair or not is another matter, it ain't liked). Rather than hiding behind a sea of spinegaunts which will get shot away, gradually revealing LoS to monsters, a CC situation is created, hiding LoS. As the Hormagaunts gradually die, LoS opens up again. The reason for EC is to make the time it takes to kill off the Hormagaunts longer.

That's my reasoning behind using it (although it's only blue-tacked onto the models at the moment, in case in practice it turns out badly). Hope it makes sense, even if you wouldn't use it yourself.

-=Count Jasper=-

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast