starting a new Tau army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting a new Tau army

For x-mas I would like to start a Tau army and I am wondering is any of you would give me any suggestions on what I should get and how to use them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Well for christmas, you can probably get a battleforce, a hammerhead, and 6 stealth suits. You can now make a good 750pt army.

Next I would buy 2-6 more stealth suits, a box of kroot, and another hammerhead. Now you can make very competitive 1000pt armies.

Telling you how to use them is simple. There are 2 units in the tau army that are usually not used properly, and are excellent once you learn how to use them. They are stealths and kroot.

Stealth suits are excellent because they survive until the end of the game, and can thus score objectives. They have enough firepower to be quite efficient at killing marines, and more than enough to slaughter any guard unit not in cover.

Stealths must stay alive. It should be your top priority when using them. Make sure they're never assaulted, and concentrate firepower on units that threaten your stealths first. It is ok to hide stealths for most of the game, shooting them is not as important as keeping them alive.

Kroot do have some nice combat stats, but they are not a combat unit. They have trouble beating fire warriors, simply because they don't win combat and run easily. Kroot however are excellent shooters. Kroot are better shooting at infantry such as marines and orks than fire warriors. Stick them in a forest and shoot.

The advantage of taking kroot is not that they can shoot well, it is the tactical tricks you can do with them.

They can push back infiltrators. This is important to realise, you can sacrifice a unit of kroot by putting them somewhere so enemy infiltrators don't have as much room to deploy.

Kroot can be used as scoring units. They are very cheap, at 70pts a unit, and can still capture objectives. It doesn't hurt your firepower to hide them all game, and if they hide behind forests, they have no trouble moving through it in the last 2 turns.

Kroot are also an excellent bait unit. They can occasionally help dictate where your opponent moves his units. In a battle of mine recently, I was up against a chaos predator with an autocannon, heavy bolters, havoc launcher, and combi bolter. I used the kroot the draw the tank away from my stealths, and it worked. If the tank had chased my stealths, they would have been shot down.

Generalised useless list (what not to use):

Commanders: Burst cannons, flamers, fusion blasters unless with a (twinlinked) plasma rifle and (hardwired) multitracker, shield generators, target lock, gun drones, shield drones, hw target lock, hw blacksun filter.

Ethereal: Gun drones, shield drones, hw multitracker, hw target lock, hw blacksun filter, honour blade.

Bodyguards: Useless in less than 2000pt games full stop. Useful in 2000pts+, same rules as crisis suits.

Crisis suits: Shas'Vre's, burst cannons, flamers, fusion blasters, gun drones, shield drones, hw blacksun filter. Also, don't have both shield generators and hw multitrackers at the same time.

Stealths: Shas'Vre, team leader, markerlight, gun drones, shield drones, hw multitracker, hw target lock, hw blacksun filter, bonding, odd numbers in units. Stealths are an excellent unit once you learn how to use them properly.

Fire Warriors: Markerlight, shield drones, hw multitracker, hw target lock, hw blacksun filter, pulse carbines, bonding.

Devilfish: Everything but decoys, multi, targetting array.

Kroot: Shaper, pulse rifle/carbine, armour save/leadership, units larger than 10. Kroot are an excellent unit once you learn how to use them properly. See kroot hounds for an exception to 10 man squads.

Gun Drones: Not useless, but not useful. They are expensive, only use them if you like them.

Pathfinders: Hard to use anyway, don't touch shield drones, hw multitracker, hw target lock, hw blacksun filter, rail rifles, hw target lock (for the rail rifles), or bonding.

Kroot hounds: A unit of 8 is useful in a unit of 20 kroot with shaper and save, they provide an exception to the kroot rules.

Broadsides: Not that good, still useable. Don't touch Shas'Vre or gun drones. Nothing wrong with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Hammerhead: The best Tau unit, it must have decoy launchers and a multitracker, and it's ok to have target lock and disruption pod. Don't get anything else (other than weapons).

Krootox: Useless.
    Last edited by onlainari; December 5th, 2005 at 08:48.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Eh, I suggest you hold off on getting too much.
    Well, Fire Warriors and Kroot are safe, but it seems like they are adding the Kroot sub-speicies into the Carnivore entry (Krootox are no longer useless) The Hammerhead may be getting some new options, but I'll wager you'll be fine with the current box. I can't imagine not needing a Railgun-ed Hammerhead in ANY version of Tau.

I don't remember what is in the battleforce exactly, but I remember Fire Warriors (fine), Kroot Carnivores (also good), some Crisis. Crisis Suits, or at least some version of them, are getting new weapons. Stealth Suits are also getting new models, so you may want to hold off on them.

It's really up to you when you get your stuff, but I wanted to make sure you knew about the new things before you drop a pretty penny on the "old" stuff.
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do u know the dew date for the new tau? and r they changing the FW's? and i am going to look at the BF set and tell u all what is in it and then to ask u all if there r any pland changes going to be made on any of the modles that it contanes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok this is what it has contains twelve (12) Fire Warriors , twelve (12) Kroot Warriors, three (3) Crisis XV8 Battlesuits, ten (10) Gun Drones, and a set of Jungle Trees for $90. r any of them planing to be changed. and is it worth the price?

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacara
    ok this is what it has contains twelve (12) Fire Warriors , twelve (12) Kroot Warriors, three (3) Crisis XV8 Battlesuits, ten (10) Gun Drones, and a set of Jungle Trees for $90. r any of them planing to be changed. and is it worth the price?
    The Battleforce is more than worth the price; also, they shouldn't be changing anything with Kroot, Firewarriors, etc. Also, if you want to play just to get it going now, don't worry about waiting; you can always change things later on. No point in waiting.

Two hints, however; each of your posts has an "edit" function that you can select to edit any of your previous posts. Try and do this instead of double posting. Also, mods generally look down upon using "net speak"... i.e. using u instead of you, r instead of are, etc. Try not to use net speak, please. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok ty and i probly will go out and get the battle force thing. i have used the edit but i did not that time and if i remember it tells u when it was last edited. and what do u mean by net speak...nvm ok i will try but it is a bad habbit i have from my bad spelling and all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i were you i would get the battle force and a hammerhead. Also about the kroot. It seems that Mr. Tau is a big fan of them but i only use fire warriors. All im saying is learn how to play with them and see what you like before you just go buy what people are telling you to. A battleforce is always a good way to start though. Id you can id reccomend getting another FW sqaud alonf with what i said above. You can never go wrong with them.
    Proud member of the US clan!
    United states Marines!

Look for Divine Guidance under the LO top site list!!

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Well FWs is a pretty safe choice, they are one of the best troop choice in the entire game IMO. But I like kroots better, they are much cooler models and requires a little more tactic to use well. They have never turned me down yet.

For the suits: I wouldn't buy any yet, since they are the ones who get changed a lot. And if you wanna use stealths, which I think you should. Then use the old ones, they looks much better and burst cannons are good on them
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I disagree with fire warriors being a good choice. I take 6 and 1000pts, and stick them in a devilfish in 1500pts. I don't find they are all that good unless your opponent has taken a footslogging rapid fire/pistol army without any tricks. Any stand and shoot army will beat an army with lots of fire warriors.

My last game, I took 6 units of fire warriors in 1000pts, just to see how it went. I just happened to then play a footslogging rapid firing army. They were all cut down before they reached the fire warriors, you can expect that to happen when your opponent moves and then ends his turn. You won't find many lists like that to face anymore.
    Last edited by onlainari; December 6th, 2005 at 02:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast