Welcome to Librarium Online!
I plan on asking for the Tyranid Battle Force for christmas but since I'm already asking for other stuff to I dont want to ask for to much. What is the ONE thing that will increase the effectivness of the box the most I can also ask for or plan to get with money?
I was thinking of getting another box of guants for sure anyway so something other than that unless you need 2 more boxes right away.
Also what type of guants out of these do you find most effective, and in what combinations:
Type 1a: Spinefist and Toxin Sacs for 8pts
- My though is they wound ok and hit well.
Type 1b: Spinefist, Toxin Sacs and Without Number for 10pts
- As above but they come back.
Type 2a: Fleshbore and Toxin Sacs for 8pts
- Will wound SM on 3+ and still gets a reroll but is worth the points? I think it makes everyshot count since they only have BS 3.
Type 2b: Fleshbore and Without Number for 9pts
- Will still to well wounding and they come back.
For me synapes is the main reason I dont think Without number is good. If I have all my brain creatures up the feild when new ones show up its a pain to get them there. Also in a 6 turn game they might be used again 1 maybe twice is they scuttled the first turn but that costs more points too so I dont know?
Not worth it, IMHO. Eight points is far too much to pay for a meatshield. I'd say either leave the Spinegaunts plain or use Termagaunts (Fleshborers). The latter is only 6 points, has a S4 shot, and rerolls wounds.Type 1a: Spinefist and Toxin Sacs for 8pts
- My though is they wound ok and hit well.That'd be 11 points, actually. Without Number may not be worthwhile in general. It's good in missions where you have to defend an objective, but otherwise you're just feeding your opponent victory points. Fortunately, I don't think that it's something you have to model. . .Type 1b: Spinefist, Toxin Sacs and Without Number for 10pts
- As above but they come back.Those are actually 9 points each. Pay three points less and use a standard Termagaunt. They're much more efficient.Type 2a: Fleshbore and Toxin Sacs for 8pts
- Will wound SM on 3+ and still gets a reroll but is worth the points? I think it makes everyshot count since they only have BS 3.Meh. . . see my previous comments about Without Number.Type 2b: Fleshbore and Without Number for 9pts
- Will still to well wounding and they come back.Well, if the Synapse is up the field and the Gaunts fail their Instinctive Behaviour test, they'll fallback toward the Synapse. It's not as fast as movement+fleet, but it certainly does move them forward. Once again, though, Without Number is best when you're defending an objective and don't have to move far.For me synapes is the main reason I dont think Without number is good. If I have all my brain creatures up the feild when new ones show up its a pain to get them there. Also in a 6 turn game they might be used again 1 maybe twice is they scuttled the first turn but that costs more points too so I dont know?
Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.
--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"
Ostsol has already answered the gaunt questions, so I'm just gonna keep it short and simple: plain termagaunts, plain spinegaunts or plain hormagaunts, no upgrades. Ever.
As for what else you need, I started with a Battleforce a box of gaunts and a zoanthrope, it makes for very effective 750pts army.
Use the gaunts in 4 squads of 8 (as above, simple gaunts, no upgrades), make the warriors shooty, only give the stealers extended carapace and play around with the carnifex, but keep it around 180pts.
I'm still tempted by the adrenal gland for +1I on hormagaunts. I5 gives them a considerable edge on SMs in my perception.
Has anybody done any calculations on this? Is a 10% premium for I5 worth it (i.e. the cost of 10 upgraded hormies will get you 11 standard ones)?
Initiative upgrades are worth it if you're getting it to increase your Init greater than your primary target. Personally, I feel the +I for hormagaunts is well worth it. Hitting before marines (your most likely opponent) means fewer return attacks and therefore more dead marines. I found that people tend to shoot my Genestealers way before my Hormagaunts anyway so this upgrade sneaks into CC before they realize it and then it's too late.
I would never upgrade standard Gaunts (Spinegaunt or Termagaunt) as they are shooty meatshields. Pick a weapon and stick with it.
I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.
Definitely, you should up your genestealer count.