Tau vs. Lots of nids 1500 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau vs. Lots of nids 1500 points

I have a upcoming 1500 point battle against a tyranid opponent. He will most likely be using hordes of cheap gaunts to overwhelm me, along with zoanthropes and tyrant with tyrant guard. Below is my army list as it is now. Should I change my list? I was thinking about either using more troops, or using less troops but putting them in devilfishes and getting more heavy support. I am using two tanks with submunitions and two broadsides too help take out the zoanthropes and tyrants. I’m asking for your opinions. This list is about 1500 points.

(4) 12 Fire warriors with pulse rifles
    20 kroot warriors (no shaper) (for counter-charge)

(2) 5 stealth suits

(2) Hammerhead w/ Rail Gun and smart missile system
    2 Broadside Battle suits with shield gens, and smart missile system

Ethereal Commander

"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us."
    > Alan Kent
    The rise in the terror alert level was precipitated by a recent fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling their military.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Kor'O Tau Kaius Mont'yr
    I have a upcoming 1500 point battle against a tyranid opponent. He will most likely be using hordes of cheap gaunts to overwhelm me, along with zoanthropes and tyrant with tyrant guard. Below is my army list as it is now. Should I change my list? I was thinking about either using more troops, or using less troops but putting them in devilfishes and getting more heavy support. I am using two tanks with submunitions and two broadsides too help take out the zoanthropes and tyrants. I’m asking for your opinions. This list is about 1500 points.

(4) 12 Fire warriors with pulse rifles
    20 kroot warriors (no shaper) (for counter-charge)

(2) 5 stealth suits

(2) Hammerhead w/ Rail Gun and smart missile system
    2 Broadside Battle suits with shield gens, and smart missile system

Ethereal Commander
    Eh... I personally would try and take anything with the word "Kroot" in it out of my army against nids. I mean, I love them and all, but you're really better off putting the points against something that gets a lot of shots like... more Stealth Suits.

I would also consider dropping the broadsides and using an Ionhead, because nothing says "I Love You Mr. Monstrous Creature" then 3 S 7 shots that ignore it's armor to THE FACE.

Then again, taking the Kroot out isn't going to free up a LOT of points... and it might be useful to have something that doesn't cry and assume the fetal position in close combat.

Your choice, but I highly recommend the Ionhead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point with the ionhead. I could take three tanks. Two with rail guns, becuase im definately going to need the submunictions and one with an ion cannon. Your right, three shots would dfinatly help with the tyrant and such. It would also free up some points. thanks. It would alsobe more mobile than the broadsides. I will keep the kroot however becuase its 20 st 4 shots, 40 if duable tap, and that will also come in handy.
    "It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us."
    > Alan Kent
    The rise in the terror alert level was precipitated by a recent fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling their military.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I love my 2 units of 10 kroot against tyranids. First and foremost, they're there to push back genestealer infiltration, get them away from my lines. That's why 2 units of 10 is better than 1 unit of 20, you can do it twice. Then, if there are no more genies to push back, I stick them in a forest in the direction of gaunts. The kroot shoot at the gaunts, and when charged, kill them in combat. It works perfectly. Especially with homogaunts, because their charge range tends to take them out of synapse, so while I rarely sweeping advance them, they usually run.

Your list can be fixed. Not to play against tyranids, but as an all-comers list, it can be made better. I don't think that should be the idea of the thread however. I don't think people should be telling you how to tailor your list either. Tailoring to beat an army is a bad idea.

Your stealthsuits must avoid combat. Always stay outside charge range, even if it means you can't shoot them for a turn. Target the fast units with your hammerheads in order to protect your stealths. Once there are only footsloggers left, the stealths will easily cleanup.

That's the most important advice I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I disagree on two points Onlainari, first off, in the first post of the thread, and I quote:

Below is my army list as it is now. Should I change my list?
    Second, if he's 100% sure that his only opponent is going to be nids, why not make a list specifically for nids? Especially considering the problems all-comers Tau lists have with 'Nids.

I agree with you on the other point though, keep those Stealthy Suits out of Hormy charge range no matter what, unless possibly, your Kroot are nearby to charge in and you think you've thinned them down enough to where your 3+ armor will suffice.

The Ethereal might be tricky, I'd park him in a spot you can almost gaurantee that he won't see any bad guys, because the nastiness of the Ravening Horde + The Price of Failure would suck major.

Also, don't be fooled, the high priority targets are mostly the little ones. Your list seems to be built around taking down GS's and Gaunts, which is good, and if he pulls a surprise and comes with a crapload of MC's, you still have enough firepower to make 'em hurt.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Building a list to beat a list your opponent makes goes against a lot of what I believe in. I think it's a horrible thing to do.
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ionheads suck vs nids, all TMC will have 2+ save everytime.

Personally i find that my army revolves around crisis, stealth and hammerheads against nids.

Generally i take:
    - a unit of 3 crisis lead by a shas'el all with plasma+fusion. This unit is the TMC killer unit.
    - a unit of 3 crisis lead by a shas'el all with plasma+missile. This unit is the warrior killer unit. (or another 6 stealth)
    -6 stealth horde buster

12+kroot -find some terrain use these guys as throw away decoy. The S4 guns actually cause pain vs unarmoured nids.

12 firewarriors to team with the kroot -these 2 units support each other awsomely, stay 6" apart so that when enemy consolidates you move and waste him with rapid fire

12 firewarriors mounted

8 gun drones, as with the theme stay mobile

2 RG hammerheads, all around pwn nids
    broadside with shield (if i expect lots of TMC)
    Last edited by The Fio'Noran; December 7th, 2005 at 06:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

299 (x7)

Elite carnifex's, and some heavy carnifex's, have a 3+ save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a standard list. However, i have never faced tyranids before. I have seen battles played with them, but have never faced them, and i usualy edit my list as sees fit for each battle. My standard list is biult mainly to battle space marines. Good idea with using the krrot to keep the infiltrating 'stealers farther back. I have not had alot of good fortune using crisis suits. I usually have a crisis HQ and some tank killers, but i much rather use the points for other things in this battle and go for the cheaper ethereal. As for my oppenent. I am 100 percent sure he is going to use hordes of guants. He has the option of making genestealers with 4+ save. that would thwart all my AP 5 weapons. however, those would be expesive genestealers and he wont do it becuase they would not be worth the points. He will rely heavily on guants and his "special recipe" tyrant. I have yet to find out what that is. I will probabbly split my kroot, good idea. as for mobility, should i drop a tank and mount some firewarriors?
    Last edited by Kor'O Tau Kaius Mont'yr; December 7th, 2005 at 16:15.
    > Alan Kent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hell no.

Hammerheads are pretty much the best all-round nid killers you can get.
    Fast, powerful, and quite tough. They are usefull against pretty much every nid unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast