Warriors And Termagaunts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well , to start off , the way it seems , anything a termagaunt can do , a hormagaunt can outdo. Termagaunt wpns are 12" , so you're pretty sure that you're gonna get into close combat anyways next turn , when a Hormagaunt could have charged into CC , and got the extra attacks. whats the pint of termagaunts , and should I even bother painting any up? :huh:

Second , from what I have seen , Warriors seem like crap. :huh: They have a low toughness (by for an elite) , so the 2 wounds don't help against Eldar or Tau , who are my 2 opponents , and even against other armies , tougness 4 is only a step up from gaunts! how does anyone expect anything like thgat to survive for long?
    The only real use I could see for them , would be to put wings on 'em and give them a deathspitter. Let them deepstrike , and you can kill lots of your opponents troops for 1 turn , until they get smart and wipe those Warriors out.
    Maybe they would be goos for decoys :blink: , but they're a bit expensive for that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well termagaunts were initially there to sheild, screen other troops... now that they can no longer do that, there kinda pointless, unless you going up against a dark eldar wych Army, or you use seeding swarm and the shooting gaunts can be kinda effective

as for warriors, i myself dont use them that often, i find putting hive nodes in my gaunt broods more cost effective, than getting more synapse, i suppose a mutable heavy weapons squad of Warriors all with venomcannons could be pretty nasty, but
    then you lose a heavy support option i usually fill my my heavy support with 2 carnifex's and a unit of zoanthropes, unless im up against somethin really hard...and i lose a fex and take 3 biovores
    Army of the heavens, my army waits in hell
    To battle on the earth, for all the souls who fell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warriors are to be used in big broods of guants. they can be mutated to stay up with guants fleet of claw. i use them for the mind f#$% it give my opponent who usually shoots them first. over all i use them for great effect. i agree however that there toughness is weak. but i can give them heavy weapons and still keep my slots open for vores and fexs and occasional throap.

termies my seem use less but if you mutate them to have devourers they are pretty decent with toxic sacs and enhanced senses. more exspensive but shoot 2x and are usually there to back up lines for the other units to cc there way through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinefists are cheap and will slice through Eldar armor and soften up Kroot. Keep them up front to blunt a charge from assulty Eldar and Tau units and have the Hormagaunts tackle them at their leisure. I also don't mind using them to tie up walkers while my big guys are elsewhere. Since they are half the cost of a Hormagaunt, you can get a larger brood, which means it'll last longer as fodder.

Venom Cannon'ed warriors are great vs Eldar as well. They have those stupid shields that reduce the strength of weapons, but that doesn't matter to the Warriors. Also the chance of you getting a penetrating hit with ANY weapon on a skimmer is slim to nil, so the drawbacks of the VC aren't as bad. With 2 shots apiece, a small brood can (and for me, usually does) bring down a few Eldar Fire Prisms, War Walkers or Wave Serpents. When I play them, I usually put them in my HQ slot to free up a Heavy Support slot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Termagaunts should become Spinegaunts in almost any army (where available that is - I originally used industrial strength glue to model Termies, and when I wanted to change them to Spinegaunts.... no good ). The Spinegaunts conversion will save you 32 pts (64 pts if you're using a brood of 32) which you can spend on your monstrous beasties, etc.

Having said that, if you play Marines + Necrons every day of every week, the Fleshborer gives you a probability bonus for wounding them.

Then, you can happily send forth your zillion gaunts marching in a straight line towards the enemy camp without any remorse - they were five points each!

While you might not care about the fate of the gaunts, the enemy will be forced to. He has to consider the following things:

1) How soon the gaunts will get to him - they're moving pretty fast!

2) How much damage they can do - there's many of them, so potentially lots

3) Whether he has enough firepower to destroy them before they reach him

Then he has to consider whether he should:

a ) Ignore, but risk being swamped in an assault

b ) Waste a turn blowing them away, but ensure his safety

c ) Run away, and again be mostly wasting a turn

And guess what? While he's considering all this, you stompy monsters and 'stealers have been quietly gearing up for their assault on enemy positions. Enemy can't win (in theory).

Spinegaunts are like cannon fodder for the mind. Kind of. I'm not sure if that analogy works, but you get the idea.

As for Warriors, use them as disposable synapse creatures and distractions (that's what I'm planning to do when I've got this Hive Tyrant I want sorted out).

-=Count Jasper=-

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Don't use spinegaunts. Use scythegaunts. They're better, as proven by math.

Spinefists are cheap and will slice through Eldar armor and soften up Kroot.
    If you use the spinefists you can't FoF. If you can't FoF, you'll be stranded within 12" from the enemy. That's bad for you. You either suffer rapid fire, or you get shot once (twice by shurikats) and assaulted - then the opponent gains the charge bonus attack (except in TAR) and you'll lose it. The only time when spinefists are useful as ranged weapons is when they are sufficient to deliver a crushing blow to the enemy unit - but that's rare.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scythes cost more. Depends whether you want the extra models or extra effectiveness, considering that they're generally cannon fodder.

And whether you have enough scything talons to model it.

-=Count Jasper=-

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

That's right, they cost 20% more than spinegaunts. But even if you take this into account, they still fare better against most opponents. I did the entire math, also taking into account that there are less of them on the table to soak up wounds and that not all of them will make it into base contact.
    Spinegaunts are cannon fodder.
    Scythegaunts are still cannon fodder, but they also cause some damage.

Most opponents accept spinefists as two close combat weapons, because they look like a pair of pistols.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I might try that. I read once someone was using spinefists with cut down flesh-hooks as scything talons, but either way the thing that matters is whether your opponent recognises the morph, so telling them is good enough. As far as I can tell, WYSIWYG is simply so that no one pulls a fast one on their opponent by adding a mutation in-game, etc, rather than a strict follow-or-thou-shalt-be-damned rule.

-=Count Jasper=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it seems that we've deemed Termies complete junk , but what about warriors?

Peeps keep scting like they're great , can anyone seriously tell me of a game where Warriors lasted and where useful , and I don't mean by fluke.

they're really just cheap , disposable hive mind units , but do they have any other real use but that?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast