what armies are good against tau? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what armies are good against tau?

my friend is collecting tau and he would be proberly the only one who i would verse so can i have your input and help please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

All armies can be good versus Tau. It depends upon what army he fields and how he fields it. But Thousand Sons are DEVESTATING!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

I would have to say anything fast that excels in close combat, but yes, the resilience of the Thousand Sons would definatly help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

I'd say either:

Necrons - because Tau have a serious problem killing Necron warriors due to their sheer resiliance and lack of S8 weapons (apart from Railguns). Also Necron weapons are a real pain to Tau, as the gauss effect means that normal Necron warriors can kill the normally dangerous Tau skimmers. There is also the sheer amount of AP4 shooting a Necron list can dish out with ease. Warrior and Immortal-heavy Necrons are probably recognised as being the most difficult foe a Tau army can face.

OR

Eldar - properly kitted out. While Tau shooting can mess Eldar up quite effectively, I find a mech Eldar list works quite well against Tau, particularly Biel-Tan Scorpion Heavy. While railguns are often horrendous against vehicles, Eldar skimmers with Holofields and Spirit Stones are excellent at nullifying Tau railguns. Racing up the table using their Bright lances against equivalent Tau skimmers, and discharging CC aspects in position to charge is a tactic I notice the Tau often have difficult stopping. Conversely though, a footslogging Eldar army (and particularly Guardian-heavy Eldar armies) are often shot to pieces easily by Tau firepower.

Being realistic, any army properly kitted out and generalled can be a threat to any other army. Your troops are only as good as the general who commands them.
    Last edited by Addoran; December 12th, 2005 at 17:46.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons and super fast tyranid armies I think are the worst.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons and Tyranids. I once had ALL my units on the board(1000 point battle) shoot a squad of necron warriors that VEIL OF DARKNESSed into my area. I knocked down every every single warrior(not the lord) and 12 got back up. 12/20. thats was rediculous. And Tyranids are a pain in the ass. If guants have leaping and genestealers have extended caraspace, then its....hard....to win. nonetheless, the player has to be good and know what hes doing. My experience as a tau player has been that these two armies are hard. Tyranids being worse. I have never faced a Thousand Sons army though. I dont find Eldar a problem. Submitions tear them apart(except for those damn striking scorpions). If they mount thier troops though(Especialy banshees and scorpions), then make those transports priority targets for everyhting you got. I also hate the farseer mind war.
    "It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us."
    > Alan Kent
    The rise in the terror alert level was precipitated by a recent fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling their military.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Necrons are the best army vs tau.

Other armies that do well against tau can be dealt with one way or another, necrons, they're special.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. definatly necrons, tons of teleporting/ fast movement to get in CC, ridiculously hard for tau to kill.

2.eldar also, wave serpant biel tan tau can't kill transports, and CC squads kill tau fast. also a properly decked out eldar shooty army with a ton of starcannons and bright-lances can actually out-shoot the tau.

3. really any fast CC army that doesn't rely on tanks to get to CC, and has the armor to survive. a jump pack/ infiltrate heavy CC SM list comes to mind.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special ...Ed.

necrons, they're special.
    TRUTH.

(though I would have spelt it "speshul" in this case)

..Topic? What top- oh! That topic! Right, *clears throat*:

From my experience, any army that is fast without relying on vehicles is a threat to Tau. Nids, Ravenwing, White Scars, Saim Han Eldar (did I spell that right..?), and sometimes Orks and Black Templars all fall into this category.

Anything that can go toe-to-toe with Tau guns can also be a threat. Marines, Eldar and Chaos all properly equipped fall into this category, as do other Tau.

Tau, with their poor assault, average accuracy and impressive agility, are most effective by controlling the board in the movement phase, thus, any army that can negate that advantage can beat them (and a savvy commander of any army will seek to do exactly that, as it generally follows that Tau standing still is standing on his own gravesite.)
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

No one has said Dark Eldar yet?!?

Dark Eldar excel in Close Combat against EVERYTHING. If I can take a squad of 9 wyches, and wipe out 40+ guardsmen in 3 turns while only losing 5 wyches...then just think what carnage they can do to tau. yeah, raiders go down easily, their armor is light, but all you need is just ONE squad of even basic warriors to get into CC and it's game over.

Necrons are generally good against everything...seriously, a compitent necron player should almost NEVER lose against ANYONE.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast