New to 40K - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to 40K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 40K

I just ordered my warboss and won an auction for 16 assembled unpainted boyz and another auction for a box of boyz, a box of storm boyz an ork dreadnought (I'm surprized with the way they make the orks talk that they use that word) and an ork scorcha - all NIB.

I dont see the Scorcha in the codex??

Going to be starting with 500 pt armies against my friend who's building a necron force.

Not looking to spend any more money right now; still have to buy clippers, paint, flocking, brushes and glue. I imagine it will just be Warboss and boyz till he catches up with his army.

Tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROIGHT!

The skorcha is probably a warbuggy armed with skorcha. Unfortunately, its not very useful against necrons as they have a pesky 3+ save and guass weapons and skorcha buggies only have AV10, need close range and only penetrate armour 4.

Against necrons, you could definately use some grots. Ebay sells them really cheaply, if you get the 2nd edition- you say you dont want to spend more money but for only a few quid you will give your boyz a MUCH better chance to get to the enemy.

Listwise, you'd want a fairly well armoured boss (heavy armour + bionic bonce) because the boss takes out tin'eads like nobody's business. The rule of thumb for facing necrons is: If you get him into combat, he's dead. In 500 points he wont have any special CC troops other than a scarab base or two- the minimum requirements for a necron force is a huge 460 points, meaning he has almost no flexibility with his army so you can predict it very accurately. He may have a few scarab bases, but they would only slow you up for a turn and shouldnt cause too many problems. They might even give you a speed boost if you manage to get the charge!

So army, yes. Powerklaws are also your friends here. I recommend converting one of your boyz to be a nob with a powerklaw- this can be done with some green stuff (or equivalent) and anythign you can find- I used a pair of nail clippers for one of my pKs! ^^ You want fairly large squads of boyz: You only have 32 boyz so you cant do the optimum squad size of 20: A box, 3 special weapons boyz and a nob, so I recommend using both squads of 16. Add in some grots for cover, about 20 I'd recommend, make sure you have nobs in both your squads with pKs and a pK on the boss and you're good to go!

The problems with necrons come at higher points when he starts taking destroyers :shudder: and monoliths :AGHAGHAGH:! But at low points games, you should take him without too much trouble. So much so, in fact, that you might want to try and progress to larger points games fairly quickly in case he gets disheartened and bored. The very nature of the necron force means that it is very impersonal, unoriginal, and standardized at low points games so the sooner you get to 1000 points the sooner you'll both start injecting your army with choice, character and a whole lot o' WAAGH!
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, he hasn't even bought any units yet so perhaps when we get closer to being able to play I can pick up some nobz and grots. Thanks for the input. I had done the math wrong, I had though 16 boyz was 240 points, but its much less.

We're hoping to make it all more fun by making up senarios. We might even trade armies when we play sometimes. I'm all for him getting a monolith, that things cool looking. No idea what it does, and from what I was reading gotta worry about those C'Tan dudes too. I dont think we'll get bored, we'll be drinking heavily most times we play. Well....I will. Hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NonstickRon
    Well, he hasn't even bought any units yet so perhaps when we get closer to being able to play I can pick up some nobz and grots. Thanks for the input. I had done the math wrong, I had though 16 boyz was 240 points, but its much less.

We're hoping to make it all more fun by making up senarios. We might even trade armies when we play sometimes. I'm all for him getting a monolith, that things cool looking. No idea what it does, and from what I was reading gotta worry about those C'Tan dudes too. I dont think we'll get bored, we'll be drinking heavily most times we play. Well....I will. Hehe.
    A monolith = RUN SCREAMING IN TERROR TIME!!! Really.

Av14 all round, a weapon which hits every unit within range automatically, only hit on 6 with a pK, can teleport necron units away from combat, deep strikes, has a fat ordinance weapon and isnt affected by things like 2d6 zaap gun AP.

A c'tan = RUN SCREAMING IN TERROR TIME!!! Really.

A billion attacks, impossible for slugga boyz to wound, several wounds, extremely nasty special abilities, more extremely nasty special abilities, a 2+ save and monstrous creatureiness.

You really, REALLY dont want him to have a monolith or c'tan until 1.5k points
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

the NUMBER ONE most important thing to remember when being the orks, is to HAVE FUN! most people know and agree that the orks are one of, if not THE, most fun forces to play. when something goes wrong, laugh about it. when your 250 looted land raider screams off the board edge or into a cliff, picture that in your mind, and youll find it quite hilarious. anyways, have fun with orks, and remember, WAAAAGGGH!!!!
    Do it fer da ladz, come join da Ork Klan here!

Blood Axes W/L/D-------- 9/7/3
    Warboss Grorg of the Ork Klan!
    Commander of the Rebel Alliance in the STAR WARS CLAN

+ Reply to Thread