Positioning of WBB in CC. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Positioning of WBB in CC.

Just checking something here, as I do have the codex, but don't know know their rules application very well yet.

During a close combat, some Necrons are killed.
    And a few make successful WBB rolls.

When they reappear, it should be in the EXACT position from the moment they were struck down, correct?

What if the rest of the squad had already piled-in (in the turn before the WBB rolls were made), and the squad kinda moved away from the fallen ones? Can the squad move out of coherency (during the pile-in move) with the ones who fell?

I'm thinking that the ones on their sides would not have been able to participate in the pile-in move, because they were incapacitated at the moment that pile-in move took place. They should not be able to move from that spot where they were struck down until the pile-in move that comes at the end of the turn in which they stood up.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the rule is they are placed in combat anywhere as long as they retain coherency and arent put in assault with a third unit that may be near by.

He's coming for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-it's kinda unclear since technically whgen you piled in, you would mose on top of the dead necrons.
    -i just move them to the back, and stand them up at the back when they WBB
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

The problem that I encountered is that they moved significantly when they stood up from where they originally fell.

They fell while fighting on one side of the CC, and they stood up on the opposite side.
    So I thought about that, and I'm wondering if any movement was justified.
    Aren't they supposed to stand back right back up from where they fell?

And if the Necron squad had move during pile-in, shouldn't they have been obligated not to break coherency with the guys who fell down, leaving a "trail" back to the fallen ones?

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Once a Necron dies, it is no longer part of any unit. Think of it like that. It stops being a part of that unit when it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron Codex, page 13
    The repaired Necron will immediately be placed in coherency with the closest unit of the same type* ........ If the nearest unit* is in close combat then the repaired Necron may be placed in combat with any of its opponents as long as it maintains coherency.
    *Which, in this case, would be the squad it was initially a part of.

If you think of it like that, it should work fine for you.

edit: Also, consider this example: If a Necron dies, and the closest unit of the same type is on the other edge of the board (all the way across), but a Tomb Spyder is beside it, and it makes its WBB rule, according to the explanation of the rule, it would then join that unit allll the way over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

yep
    that certainly helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis
    Once a Necron dies, it is no longer part of any unit. Think of it like that. It stops being a part of that unit when it dies.

*Which, in this case, would be the squad it was initially a part of.

If you think of it like that, it should work fine for you.

edit: Also, consider this example: If a Necron dies, and the closest unit of the same type is on the other edge of the board (all the way across), but a Tomb Spyder is beside it, and it makes its WBB rule, according to the explanation of the rule, it would then join that unit allll the way over there.
    Not quite correct... A Necron awaiting WBB is still a part of it's original unit...It just doesn't count towards things like unit strength, and does not have to be within 2" coherecy of another Necron, ie the "all normal game purposes such as..." part of the first paragraph of the WBB rules.

The reasoning behind this is: One, it does not say the downed Necron is now no longer a part of his unit while he is awaiting WBB, just he ignores the things mentioned above, and Two, it allows the monoliths granting of a second WBB roll to units of Necrons teleported though the portal to work properly. Simply put, if Necrons awaiting WBB were not a part of the original unit, they couldn't be teleported though the monolith.

It also means that Necrons that fell in combat before a unit destroyed by a sweeping advance are destroyed also.

Now, once a Necron gets back up, he may end up joining a different unit as per the WBB rules mentioned above... He may WBB anywhere within two inches of the closest unit. You can't string your warriors out though...they all WBB at the same time. And, as mentioned before, you can't make any new combats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-It also means that Necrons that fell in combat before a unit destroyed by a sweeping advance are destroyed also. -halfpast_yellow

-nowhere does it actually say this, although it is really rare, the necrons that fell prior to the sweeping advance will still get WBB it a spider/ warrior squad is in the area, through a bizare loophole in the rules.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiaxrulesall
    -nowhere does it actually say this, although it is really rare, the necrons that fell prior to the sweeping advance will still get WBB it a spider/ warrior squad is in the area, through a bizare loophole in the rules.
    So to clarify this sentence you are saying - Necrons killed in CC will get a WBB even if the attacking unit gets a sweeping advance at the end of that CC round?

Hence only surviving necrons and those that fail the WBB roll are lost for the game? Any that make the WBB get up and re-join any other unit still alive as above, even though their original unit has been destroyed!?!

If this is true then I've been ripping myself off for a while now. Queek help me!!!!!
    Last edited by Borak; December 14th, 2005 at 03:27.
    Only A Dwarf Can Appreciate A Hairy Woman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borak
    So to clarify this sentence you are saying - Necrons killed in CC will get a WBB even if the attacking unit gets a sweeping advance at the end of that CC round?

Hence only surviving necrons and those that fail the WBB roll are lost for the game? Any that make the WBB get up and re-join any other unit still alive as above, even though their original unit has been destroyed!?!

If this is true then I've been ripping myself off for a while now. Queek help me!!!!!
    No you've been playing it correctly... A reading of the Sweeping advance rules will show it says that the Unit is scattered and destroyed, and no WBB rolls are allowed. As I've shown in my previous post, the models killed in a CC are still a part of the unit that gets swept, and therefore, they don't get a WBB either.

Harsh, but the threat of Sweeping advance is intended to be a massive IMO. Using Tombspyders in support of warriors in combat really helps, as they provide another 10 for the Necrons in outnumbering calculations, and your warriors can fall back in safety as the fearless Spyder must be destroyed If they are to swept. As well as ensuring the Necrons knocked down in a CC aren't out of range if the unit falls back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast