heyy guys..how to start orks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    N2A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heyy guys..how to start orks?

ok well i have an eldar army..but i want to start an ork army.

Now i have a few questions. What should i start out with? i wanna be shooty....but at the same time, the opponent i play against most has a tau army and that means CC . I've always loved CC, but again i'd love to do a shooty army, i love the way all ork weapons look and they're good guns.

Anyhow, can someone sorta give me a rundown? maybe a few opinions? and btw can i get some info on feral orks? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont do a shooty ork army, they work in theory but it wil lbe to hard to win in most situations, most races tactic vs. ork is just shoot them before they get to CC. If you dont advance at them they can shoot without need of worry so you'll be toast.

N2A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so that means...get slugga boyz? storm boyz? any suggestions?

i'm also gaining interest in this whole feral orks deal, can someone give more some more info on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ferral orks are ok but they dont really shine in any one area, sure they have BS 3 but also WS 3. They take a long time to model and alot of money sicne you need to combind Fantasy and 40k ork Sprues. Sorry I'm not much help but I've gotten 4hr of sleep last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, a biggish mob of slugga boyz is always a good place to start from. preferable unit size 18-25. after this mob you might want to some shooty support then 1-2 squads of 12-15 shoota boyz work nicely in concert with the sluggas. grots are ivaluable for protection and soaking up fire and tying combat units.

after this you might want to get some faster elements so some trukk boyz, buggies or storm boyz might be the way to go. trukkers should be 10-man strong, buggies work well in teams of 2-3 and storm boyz are quite useful in semi-large mobs, preferably 15-20 models.

a looted vehicle and some kans/dread are also a good addition from the heavy support section and let you take some heavier weapons. if you take kans/dreads you might want to invest in a smallish unit of burna boyz with a mek wielding the kustom force field and mek's tools + 3 grot oilers. run this unit with your kans to protect them and flush out any possible swampers with the burnas from the unit. this unit is usually 5-10 models strong.

the ferals qork a bit differently and i don't have that much experience with them but i'll try to give some advice.

mad boyz are very, very useful. they're dead cheap and can be boosted to str 5 (or was it 4, can't remember) with the dok. huntas are useful for those few rokkit shots that can even hit something with the luxurious BS of 3. boar boyz with a warboss are also dead 'ard and can really mess up your opponent's battleline. squiggoths are also useful for bringing those heavy weapons to the battle.

hope my ramblings help!
    Spoiling is a way of life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Well, I believe the 80's pop singer Sabrina said it best with her song 'Boys boys boys'. You can never have too many boyz in your army and they are always a good place to start from.
    Later on you can expand with some bigger weapons like Kans and Dreds. Looted vehicles are good but I've always been against them and I have forbidden my boyz to go looting simply because that they are not ork vehicles. It is more fun to win by being an ork than by pretending you are a soft, pink 'umie...
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Well, if you want to include shootyness, then maybe building Sluggaboyz and as special weapon choice, give'em three big shootas. With that you'd have three Assault3 weapons and you can lay down some nice Dakka while you're on your way to CC.
    Also there's the possibility of taking FlashGitz with 'more Dakka'-Shootas. A mob of 15 to 20, all of them armed with Assault2 weapons will give him quite the Headache, and they also can continually come closer, although they are a little expensive points-wise (due to moreDakka being a rather costly upgrade)

N2A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great advice guys thanks.

flash gits or w/e you said. those are just boyz models upgrade ...or maybe downgraded? maybe even equal-graded. but anyway their just boyz models with different rules right?

and should i play a clan? feral orks dont seem all that great right now, so should i do a clan? whats a good one for me to look at? no speed freeks, they're too common and that isnt really my style.

BTW- I'm heading out to the hobby shop today and im gonna get boyz. good pick right?

EDIT: just got back and i'm the proud new owner of 1 (yes, count it, 1) boxed set of ork boyz. i've glued 4 of em so far, all as sluggas. it's going to a be a slugga squad. im starting to wish i would have made out to glen burnie for the clearance sale, i would be swimming in a 2000 point ork army by now!! (yes, i live in maryland, home of the East coast GW headquarters)
    Last edited by N2A; December 20th, 2005 at 20:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N2A
    great advice guys thanks.

flash gits or w/e you said. those are just boyz models upgrade ...or maybe downgraded? maybe even equal-graded. but anyway their just boyz models with different rules right?
    TBH, that's what almost all ork elites are, or at least can be A true ork always converts IMO- 'ard boyz are just boyz with more plates stuck on, strategic greenstuff makes for good skarboyz, and flash gitz... well, let your imagination take you! They're basically orks with larger gunz, which could mean double barreled shotguns, decoration, extra clothes, you name it; the fancier the better!

and should i play a clan? feral orks dont seem all that great right now, so should i do a clan? whats a good one for me to look at? no speed freeks, they're too common and that isnt really my style.
    I like freebooters personally, especially when you're starting. The clans are nice but freebooters is 'pure' ork- it lets you get the variety of the army and work out what you want in the way of klannage. It's a bad idea to let people choose a clan for you: Each ork army is so individual that you'll have your own play style and perferences which make a difference.

BTW- I'm heading out to the hobby shop today and im gonna get boyz. good pick right?

EDIT: just got back and i'm the proud new owner of 1 (yes, count it, 1) boxed set of ork boyz. i've glued 4 of em so far, all as sluggas. it's going to a be a slugga squad. im starting to wish i would have made out to glen burnie for the clearance sale, i would be swimming in a 2000 point ork army by now!! (yes, i live in maryland, home of the East coast GW headquarters)
    TBH, you need more than that. The barebones minimum for a competent ork force is two boxes of sluggas, six special weapons, nobs and a warboss. It's very daunting cashwise, but worry not- orks require a fairly large initial investment to begin with, but once you have a basic force ready you can start scratchbuilding, which is where the real savins come in! It's also one of the koolest things about the army, nay, the hobby- the feel of krumpin with your very own battlewagon built out of a stapler, four boxes of pencils, various screws and a whole lotta powertools ^^

Once you have moneys, I recommend getting another 2 (two) boxes of boyz. Convert yourself speshul weapons and nobs out of them, or buy a box of nobs, and then you'll have eight/ten boyz and a whole lotta gubinz to do with what you will: Trukk boyz, kommandoes, 'ard boyz, and so on. Also, grots are the key to any ork force. To avoid burning a hole in your pocket, look on sites like ebay- you should find a huge load of 2nd edition grots for sale at ten-a-penny.

good luck!
    ROIGHT!

N2A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha i didnt think 16 boyz was gonna cut it. im probably gonna have to do this over a few months at least....

i haave about 100 dollars almost exactly, but i hate spending all i have on warhammer stuff. i dont know what else to buy, but i really hesitate to buy anything, i got it from my dad, we're sorta miserly....

for christmas im getting a war trukk and a warboss (not my first choices, but the store was filled with, of course, space marines and nids). they had a few bikes, the trukk, a few random blisters. and the boyz, which i never would have seen, but my mom saw them :wacko:

anyhow, is there anyway to get just 8-10 boyz for truk boyz? i dont wanna buy another 35 dollar box and then have 6 or 7 extra models. i guess i could just add them to the mob i'm building now....but i like to keep things even and organized. not verry oky huh?

OR: could i just use the war trukk as a "taxi"?. that's how the eldar falcon works (i have an eldar army) so i would be used to playing with a taxi transport. but from what i can gather the boyz have to be in a squad with the trukk, right?
    Last edited by N2A; December 21st, 2005 at 02:30.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast