Lictor Ravener combos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lictor Ravener combos

I have 3 lictors and enjoy using them, but on their own, they dont tend to live very long.

I don't own any raveners, so I don't know first hand the effectiveness of them...

I've been thinking of the idea of deep striking lictors and raveners together. The plan is to strike them close to each other so they can attack the same (or close squads) and support each other.

Games have shown me that deep striking my lictors somewhere on their own doesnt end well for the lictor, so I've started deep striking them to hit from behind and support my gaunts rush.

I've been planning this strategy in my head and the way I see it going down is having the main lines push one side of the board, with my shooting support mid table (as usual). Then to have the lictors and raveners deep strike beside the unit I am rushing, and -with the help of the pinning from my mid table fire support- engage or cut off the next nearest units to the assault, keeping them in place and in position for the gaunts and stealers to sweep into them on the 3rd or 4th turn.

My fire support usually includes my hive tyrant and 1 or 2 carnifexes along with most (if not all) of my warriors. This usually attracts most of the heavy weapons fire from my opponents, and they can be used to cut down rapid fire/heavy bolter squads to keep my deep strikers alive and healthy.

Anyways, I haven't used it yet, but I plan to get some raveners and try it out. Let me know if you've had any luck with a similar strategy or if you have any advice or feedback for this idea!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Two problems:

1) Raveners can't assault the turn they arrive via deep-strike. This means that while the Lictors are in assault, the Raveners are hanging around as easy targets. Even if they don't die, the earliest that a deep-striking Ravener will enter combat is turn 3. A pre-deployed Ravener will probably get to assault on turn 2.

2) Lictor deep-strike is good because they -can't- scatter outside of cover. A Ravener doesn't have that particular ability, so it might die upon arriving or land somewhere totally useless.

Basically, don't deep-strike Raveners unless you're playing across a very large distance or there is guaranteed to be alot of space around your opponant's army. The point is to drop somewhere that you wouldn't otherwise be able to reach [as quickly as] with a deployed unit.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Ravs, though, can shoot a hell of a lot of shots. Take some ravs, grind a few enemies, and send a few lictors to finish the survivors. Probably wouldn't work against SM( except for small units), but it would likely be worth it on anything with a crap save. Just remember to pick a big, expensive unit for this- it could work well to take those devestators off your back or trash that guard heavy weapons team. Just remember everything will likely die in the next turn, though that would mean less shooting at the rest of your army.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ostsol
    Two problems:

1) Raveners can't assault the turn they arrive via deep-strike. This means that while the Lictors are in assault, the Raveners are hanging around as easy targets. Even if they don't die, the earliest that a deep-striking Ravener will enter combat is turn 3. A pre-deployed Ravener will probably get to assault on turn 2.

<snip>

Basically, don't deep-strike Raveners unless you're playing across a very large distance or there is guaranteed to be alot of space around your opponant's army. The point is to drop somewhere that you wouldn't otherwise be able to reach [as quickly as] with a deployed unit.
    These are both good suggestions for particular purposes, and I have a third. I had a bit of a whinge about the deepstrike delay on ravener attacks after my last match, in which I tried deepstriking just for a change. I didn't like the delay but my opponent suggested that deep striking in turn 2 behind cover and attacking in 3 actually saved the raveners from incoming fire for 2 turns, turning them into an untouched and very effective reserve.

The other down-side of deep striking with raveners though is you have to remember to get some synapse to them ASAP, because deep in enemy lines they're tragically vulnerable to instant kill as well as failing leadership tests to do anything useful.

In general I wouldn't deepstrike with raveners, but would use cover and threats to the enemy from other broods to keep them alive long enough to get into close assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some experience with Raveners, easily my favorite model just for the mass destruction they do when they hit the lines. Some things I have discovered in my battles. Deepstriking Raveners is a bad idea, unless they are equipped with Devourers. That way the turn they come in, they can shoot(6 str 3 shots I believe per Ravener) decently. However hitting on 5+ doesnt help but rerolling wounds does. This is the only good part about deepstriking. With the potential drift involved, it generally puts the Raveners in a position you didnt want them to be in the first place, in direct LOS. Also it has a potential of killing one or all of them when they come in.

I agree with the turn 2 basic setup, where the Raveners will get into combat turn 2. This has happened on numerous occasions when i have played, including wrecking massive havoc on atleast two groups of fire warriors in a battle against the Tau that nearly collapsed his left flank completely. Evne though they will be shot at completely the entire time on the board, if you keep them in cover, Raveners will be great when they finally hit town.

On a similar note, Lictors, as I am still vehemently opposed to this idea, are one shot wonders. They will generally wreck anything they come across, including vehicles if placed right. However, once they have jumped in, chances are very great they wont make it til next round. I have seen a Lictor in cover take shots from two full Sisters Squads(I think 11 total each squad) and miss surviving by one 2. When in cover they are very difficult but that is their flaw as they must come out of cover to fight. My suggestion is to have atleast one for two reasons. One is the sheer fear factor that he could pop out of any area terrain that the enemy might be using for cover. 2 is the pheremone trail that helps to get your reserves out in an escalation game. From what I understand this would include: Lictors, Hormagaunts, TMC's, Raveners, and winged creatures. So having atleast one Lictor would be very helpful as it gets one reroll per round to help get you those much needed reserves on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although i haven't got or used a revener, I like the idea of running one for two with each unit of hroamagaunts, acting as a "sergeant" to the squad. On too many occasion i've found the shear number of attacks from hormies just doesn't do the damage i would like on MEQ's. It could just be that my expectations are too high, but by adding an extra 10 rendig attacks on the charge (?) would defenitelytip the combat in the nids favour. As raveners are also beasts they can keep up with the hormies, and so are almost gauranteed to reach combat at the same time, and because synapse would most likely be covering the hormies, the raveners should also be covered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not too keen on using winged units. What would you reccomend as the best idea for synapse coverage for my raveners/hormagaunts? Leaping warriors, or an infiltrating broodlord?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, excluding winged units, I'd go for leaping warriors as i'm not a fan of using a BL. Unfortunatley the warriors only move 6" so will have trouble keeping up with the hormies/ravaeners around turn 3, and unless you hold some of the units back, the hormies/ravs will most likely spend a turn in combat by themselves, not under synapse supoort. For this reason you want to make sure that they win combat so they won't be forced to take a morale check, whether it be through attacking with multiple units, or severely outnumbering the opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one word STAGGERED -if you want to keep you units up front but still under synapse control stagger them-leave a tail end from the main body of ur troops. remember only 1 model need be in synapse for it to work and unless the enemy is shooting from behind you (dont ask me how dats gonna happen on turns 1-3!) then they wont be able to kill the link that you have from your synapse creatures, also this allows you to keep in combat longer (less shooting at your units) but still be able to kill effectively. Never deep-strike reaveners! they'll get killed really really fast unless your a really lucky basterd and/or you take devs on them and destroy the only squad thats in range of you! O yea and this also means that you have a HUGE screen -cant shoot through combat- so that your synapse warriors (only model lvl 2 and models lvl 1 still block them in combat! yah!) can move up the field without much shooting or none if your smart in how you deploy your broods!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Yeah, Synapse for Hormagaunts is only ever an issue if the opponant's frontline is more than 25" from your own. It might also be problematic if the Hormagaunts win combat and consolidate forward, but even then you can consolidate such that you leave at least one or two models in Synapse range. The next turn the Synapse Creature can move forward again, even further guaranteeing Synapse support (assuming it isn't dead).
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

+ Reply to Thread