Spore Mines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spore Mines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spore Mines

I have a game tommorrow with a SM Salamander chapter and was wondering what kind of spore mines I should use for my bio-vores. In terms of armor he only has a whirlwind, but i know he will rely on Termies for assualt. I don't think he has a rhino, or drop pod, so if they are walking i'm not to worried.
    So my question is what kind of spore mines should I use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Against marines you have to use the AP3 mines (toxin?). Otherwise their saves will make the mines pretty useless.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

It's the bio-acid one you want, it's AP is low enough to deny power armoured SM their saves, though it has a low strenght value.
    IMO not really worth fielding against marines.
    Zoanthropes if you have them would make for a better choice or a way to support the biovores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually it would be good because wouldnt it because youd still be wounding on a 4+ with S3 V T4.

and zoanthropes would get shat on before they could get close enough to do damage againset the marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um????
    St 3 against T 4 wounds on 5.
    Zoanthropes S5 againstT 4 wounds on 3.
    Both deny power armour saves.

Zoanthropes will be just about the same cost per model as biovores, can be morphed to provide synapse, fire on multiple targets, and are practically the best tank hunters in the tyranid army. Not to mention their armour save puts that of the biovores to shame.

Biovores are almost gauranteed to run away as soon as 1 dies (thanks to 5 leadership). They require synapse to stay back and babysit them, and they'll be the only unit in your army thats unable to move while maintain effectiveness.

If anything, take frag mines with biovores against everyone. They are cheap, wound on 4 and are likely to at least cause 1 wound with a detonation, which will make the SM take the pinning test you are looking for.

Frag mines against IG, and other nids. Toxin against eldar and orcs. Bio-acid maybe against witch hunters. Your still better off with zoanthropes against all armies though.

EDIT: and by the way, if your zoanthropes are getting 'shat on', then you obviously have no idea how to play nids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^O thats harsh man harsh.

The reason my zoanthropes get "shat on" is because my main opponent plays SM and he always makes them his NO1 priority to kill because of how i used them in the past. Theres no need for bashing people man dats just not cool.

O and may i inquire how long have you been playing 'nids or warhamemr 40k?
    Last edited by insomnia; December 26th, 2005 at 10:57.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Even if they are the big lascannon targets, then that means a turn or two where your MCs won't be shot at consider the amount of firepower needed to kill them. However, I find that zoans miss a lot. With biovores, your nearly guarenteed to hit something or redirect some fire. 3 spore mines can deal some decent damage to an SM unit and cause a small amount of havoc. Not exacty horrible in my books....
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o i know that they distract fire frommy MC's but im happy with that and it doesnt stop the fact that they get shat on. at least someone aggrees with my view on biovores.

+ Reply to Thread