ORKS!! startin an army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ORKS!! startin an army

hey im thinkin about starting a ork army because i like there diversity and i have played against them before and there very hard too beat for me cause i have a tyranid army and a chaos army (undivided) and (world eaters) and every time i verse them it tends to get very messy and i lose a good amount of the time and i tend to go for close combat army's so theres another reason for orks.

anyway i have about 200 AUS dollars to spend to get me started and i was thinkin about the following

2 boxes of slugga boys
    2 boxes of shoota boys

and thats 200 bucks right there but that is the core of the army done and give me 64 models and my bro collected them for a lil bit too so i am nicking his warboss and 12 stickbombas a lobba and a codex he also had a scorcha but he lost it!! so in total thats

1 ork codex
    1 warboss
    32 slugga boys
    32 shoota boys
    12 stick bombas
    1 lobba

and with out any equipment its comes to 768 pts so i think that is pretty good considering and i wont start collecting until i finish my nids i still gotta get another 32 hormies and 3 carnifexs so it may take a while and im open for any suggestions cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well unfortunately, the ork boxes only come with 16 boys, not 32... £1 a model, but that's GW for you

With that in mind, I'd make both boxes as slugga boyz as you need lots of them for a force. Warboss is a given, but although a lobba is nice it's better in multiples and not really a staple of the ork army. What I would do, is go onto ebay and see if you can pick up some 2nd edition grots on the cheap- it's amazing how good they are.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just saw you said four boxes of boyz, not two. In that case, I'd forgo two boxes and instead get a box of nobs and some special weapons guys. (If you want to convert, a third box of boys can be used to make both of these and give you many left over parts.) An ork army of about 1000 points doesnt need much over 40 boys, but it does need some vehicles like warbuggies, a core of 40 sluggas and some grots as a minimum. Then you have a few hundred points to do what you want. I prefer a painboss with cyborks because I play lots of shooty armies with poor CC so once my cyborks hit their line they tend to chew through without many casualties. (5+ saves, woot!) On the other hand, this might force you to buy another box of boys... On yet another hand, as an experienced player I bet you have spare bases lying around and seeing as cyborks should be heavily converted yuou could probably make them out of spare bits from the boyz boxes.

Wow, that was a big edit.
    Last edited by darkhand; December 22nd, 2005 at 22:35.
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orkies!!

hey man thanx for the advice, i was just checkin out the gamesworkshop online store and im changin my original plan to the following:

Box of Ork Nobs
    1 wartrucks
    2 boxes of slugga boys
    1 killer kan

i went over budget by like 20 bucks or something but thats ok and i think this is a good start to the army this is what the army would look like on the field

1 Warboss (HQ) @ 494 Pts
    Choppa (x1); Big Shoota
    'Eavy Armour [8]
    Bionik Bonce [10]
    Big Horns / Iron Gob [6]

5 Nobz Bodyguard @ [350] Pts
    Power Klaw (x2)

1 Trukk @ [46] Pts
    Big Shoota (x1)
    Turbo Boosta [5]
    Red Paint Job [3]

16 Slugga Boyz (Troops) @ 160 Pts
    Slugga & Choppa (x14); Big Shoota (x2)

12 Stikk Bommas (Troops) @ 120 Pts
    Slugga & CC Weapon (x12); Frag Stikkbomz; Krak Stikkbomz

1 Killer Kan (Heavy Support) @ 45 Pts
    Front Armour: 11; Side Armour: 11; Rear Armour: 10; Dreadnought CC Weapon;
    Big Shoota

1 Big Gunz Battery (Heavy Support) @ 30 Pts
    Lobba

2 Krew @ [6] Pts

Models in Army: 55

Total Army Cost: 1009

all in all i think this is a great 1000 pointer army and should be good against a fair amount of opponents i look foward to getting this list but prob wont happen until a good couple of months have past but thanx for the help darkhand

N2A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget you need trukk boyz for that truk. It can hold up to ten (i think you need at least five, but don't quote me on it) boyz, and they become part of trukk unit, and arent slugga or shoota boyz, their trukk boyz:yes: .

i have the same problem, i cant figure out a way to get 9 or 10 extra boyz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Actually the trukk is for his warboss and retinue.

N2A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh must have missed that...you don't have anything to worry about reguarding that then...:blush:

is that a good strategy? having a warboss+nobz in a wartrukk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

it's certainly the fasted way to get them into cc but beeing the only vehicle it will certainly be a big target

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorrors
    hey man thanx for the advice, i was just checkin out the gamesworkshop online store and im changin my original plan to the following:

Box of Ork Nobs
    1 wartrucks
    2 boxes of slugga boys
    1 killer kan

i went over budget by like 20 bucks or something but thats ok and i think this is a good start to the army this is what the army would look like on the field

1 Warboss (HQ) @ 494 Pts
    Choppa (x1); Big Shoota
    'Eavy Armour
    Bionik Bonce
    Big Horns / Iron Gob

5 Nobz Bodyguard @ [350] Pts
    Power Klaw (x2)

1 Trukk @ [46] Pts
    Big Shoota (x1)
    Turbo Boosta
    Red Paint Job

12 Stikk Bommas (Troops) @ 120 Pts
    Slugga & CC Weapon (x12); Frag Stikkbomz; Krak Stikkbomz

1 Killer Kan (Heavy Support) @ 45 Pts
    Dreadnought CC Weapon
    Big Shoota

1 Big Gunz Battery (Heavy Support) @ 30 Pts
    Lobba
    2 Krew

Models in Army: 55

Total Army Cost: 1009

all in all i think this is a great 1000 pointer army and should be good against a fair amount of opponents i look foward to getting this list but prob wont happen until a good couple of months have past but thanx for the help darkhand
    Well first off, you need to remove the points costs and armour values (as I have) on some units. This is technically illegal and GW are pretty picky about it- the last thing we want is to get shut down because of a technicality like this! You can keep the overall points cost for a unit, but individual points of wargear is out, I'm afraid.

Now, the list. ROIGHT!

You've fallen into the most common trap of any ork player, ever. The warboss retinue. It's bad. In games under at least 1500pts (I dont use one ever, but I'm the exception) they cost a bomb, which you need for more boyz. Right now, over half your army is in six models with 6+ saves and two wounds each... not a good situation In addition, your warboss is kitted out for shooting, it would seem. If he's in a trukk, he's going to be roaring up the field doing his best to keep out of LOS of everybody, so it's very rare your boss gets a chance to shoot. He'd be better off with a power klaw to go with that choppa- s10 attacks are just too good to miss! :wub:

You should always have at least 20 boys in your slugga mobs. "But GW only gives me 16!" I hear you cry. Actually, they're very cunning. Sixteen boys, plus three special weapons boys, plus one nob is 20 models. Any lower and you'll have a tough time making waaagh! and mob size checks, any larger and they're too vulnerable to ordinance and tough to move round terrain. Speaking of nobs, why dont you have them? They are absolute essentials for any mob of boyz, with their leadership bonus and opportunity to take a power klaw. The power klaw is deathly important, believe me- it often kills as many models as the boyz themselves in a combat round, and is protected by 19 ablative wounds.

Rather than stikk bombas, I think you'd be better off with a mob of grots. They are awesome for soaking up wounds, they look intimidating as hell- your opponent might even shoot at them! And they give a brilliant psychological advantage when your opponent rejoices when he kills ten in a round of shooting, before you inform him that they were worth as much as two space marines. ^^ They're also required reading against other CC armies- it is very important that you get the charge, and having a screen in front of you really helps with that as often they can get charged, fail a morale check and disappear, leaving you with a handful of beakies looking very scared in your assault phase. Look on ebay- the 2nd edition grots often go very cheap and although they dont look quite as cool as the new ones, they're also plastic and incredible value.
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orks

hey man im sorry about placing the armour values and all that of trucks i didnt know the rules sorry, as for the list i think i might ditch the truck cause after all it is open topped with 10 armour and if i dont get first turn then it is gone. and im not sure on the nobs cause they look really cool and i have encountered them before with my chaos and they were hard to take down but they do suffer from shooting alot, so if i dont get the nobs and the truck that spares about 90 dollars which isnt a small amount lol so maybe ill get some special weapon guys and a couple of nob blisters or maybe another box of boys. still not sure i think ill wait till the new codex is released and then see how they are but thanks for your help every one i really appreciate it.

Merry Christmas, Hope Santa brings u some nice warhammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 AUD aye :shifty:

get a battle force which will save you like 50 bucks and then but a big mek or a boss then save up abit more and get a killer kan or 2
    do gods exist in this world? or did man just made god in his image? if you do not agree answer this, why do we portrait gods as humans? why do our gods look like us? if gods are mighty and powerful then why do they look like the weak.

+ Reply to Thread