Scuttling Gaunts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scuttling Gaunts

I would like to hear from anyone who uses scuttle with their gaunts. Does it work out well? and does the extra round of movement really justify spending 2 more points per gaunt? Any random comments or opinions from others will be appreciated as well. I don't currently scuttle with anything...but an seriously contemplating doing so with my 30 some gaunts to get there quicker.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Might be worth it but it also depends on the board you play.
    I haven't used it sofar since I'm always garantueed a turn 2 assault with my fast units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As dreachon said, it depends on the board. On a small board where you can assault in turn 2 anyway, it is definitely not worth it.
    On a larger board, it depends on the availability of cover and personal preference after that. For example, the large boards I usually play on have so much cover that even against a shooty army most of my army gets there intact for a turn 3 or 4 charge without the help of scuttle. Sure, I could assault a turn earlier with scuttle, but personally, I prefer the extra numbers even when there is limited cover, because they have more of a psychological effect and it just frustrates the enemy to waste his shots to masses of cheap gaunts.
    "I'm always right. Except for the times I'm not."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the main thing that keeps most people, including myself, from using scuttling (apart from the high cost of course) is the fact that even normal gaunts can run into problems with synapse range, and more front-loaded movement just exacerbates the problem.

Drake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally I'd say "No" because you only get 6 inches of free movement. You do NOT get a free Fleet of Claw because that is during the shooting phase.

Another reason why it might be a bad idea is what if you should lose the dice roll to go first? The other army might be able to shoot at you earlier.

Finally there is the Synapse issue. Unless you have something winged, you will be in danger of losing synapse by turn 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laplace
    Generally I'd say "No" because you only get 6 inches of free movement. You do NOT get a free Fleet of Claw because that is during the shooting phase.

Another reason why it might be a bad idea is what if you should lose the dice roll to go first? The other army might be able to shoot at you earlier.

Finally there is the Synapse issue. Unless you have something winged, you will be in danger of losing synapse by turn 2.

Very good point about the going second thing....for some reason I never really thought of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well on spine gaunts i think it is a rather good thing. i would not worry about loosing synapse just make sure 1 or 2 is within range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

small board Yes deffentally large..depends on who you are fighting..Orkz YES i did that and murderd there whole mob 13 vs like 21...i think..
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Don't forget if you scuttle and the opponent wins first turn you may have just opened yourself to a first turn charge.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Which is okay for two reasons:
    #1. Gaunts are expendable
    #2. Nids like close combat.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast