how far can hormas charge - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how far can hormas charge

with hormaguants classed as beasts and having leapin do the get a 24"charge or just a 12" charge i assume its 24 or leapings vrtually worthless but can somone please tell me what it is all i really know at the moment is you can get them a min of 26" by tun 2 nd a maximum of 36"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Hormagaunts get a 6" move, a 6" fleet, and a 12" assault, giving them an effective 24" assault range. This works well as a tactic to engage your opponents in close combat early on, as units locked in close combat block LOS. By blocking LOS, this allows your deadly but tender units, such as genestealers, to get into close combat unscathed, and then they will easily make mincemeat out of their opponents. IMO, there are two ways to go with gaunts: spinegaunts for a massive horde, practically unkillable due to superior numbers, or hormagaunts, that engage in close combat early and survive just long enough for the rest of your army to make it to the front lines.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

firstly youve got the movement wrong its 2 then roll d6 which means an extra 1-6" but anyway on to the point, if what you say is correct leapmg is basicaly worthless as most of the benifit is gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Umm... what? I fail to comprehend what you just said. Hormagaunts, spinegaunts, and all other forms of gaunts are infantry. They move 6" in the movement phase, and get an extra d6 for difficult terrain rolls. On an optimum fleet of claw roll, they will get a 6, and the maximum they can move in the assault phase is 12". Thus, your basic, uninhibited 6" movement, plus your optimum 6" fleet of claw roll, plus your 12" leaping assault roll gives you a grand total of 24" max in a turn. When not in assault range, hormagaunts will move up to 12" per turn, same as all other gaunts. An additional benefit to the leaping rule is that it allows all units within 3" of the close combat to contribute their attacks, unlike the usual 2". A small benefit, I know, but not to be overlooked.

On the average gaming board, each player will have a 12" deployment zone with 24" between zones. Thus, if your hormagaunts deploy at the tip of your lines (which is assumed) and get optimum fleet of claw rolls, they should be able to assault your enemy on turn two, whereas spinegaunts will assault on turn three.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok you are mixing 2 differnt things. Let's start at the top.In your movement phase you can move 6 inches unless it is throguh diffcult terrain. All tyranids get move through cover rule. Which is roll 3d6 and take the highest for movement. So in your movement max is still 6. Then if you do not shoot in the shooting phase you get roll d6 for fleet. The terrain does not matter. Then you can charge up 12 if you are hormaguants. Now if need to charge through or into diffcult terrain then you roll 3d6 , then take the highest and double it. Let me give you a example of this:
    You (hormagaunts)are inside woods of 4 inches and the enemy unit is 16 away from you but they are inside of 4 inches of woods also. So in your movement you roll 3d6 and the highest was a 5. You move five inches. Now in the shooting phase you want to fleet so you roll a d6 and get a 3. So now you are 8 inches away from the enemy unit. It is now
    assault phase you want to charge . You can charge 12 which within 8 but they are in woods. So you need roll 3d6 again and the highest you roll is 5. Which you double it so you can charge 10 which is will get you in contact with the enemy unit.
    I hope that helps.
    Bonekrusher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The simple version:

Movement = 6"
    Fleet of claw (beast) = 1d6"
    Fast charge (beast)/leaping = 12"

So its 7-12" move for a fleeting hormagaunt, and another 12 for assaulting.
    Leaping isnt pointless, check page 33 (top left), there's the usefull little thing about full attacks, the extra inch goes a long way with big broods. There is some overlap between leaping and beast, but I think the reasoning behind this is to keep the amount of unique special rules to a minimum, thus hormagaunts got the beast rule instead of their own "assault 12"" rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o thank you so much for putting this right! i got a head-ache after id read 3 post, how can so many people be confused about such a simple rule?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because it contradicts itself and now on hormas it only has the great cc advantage and not the other advantages of leaping, but thanks everone for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhm +6" on the Charge and 3"-rule in CC thats the advantages of leaping .... owns btw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chargingharvester
    uhm +6" on the Charge and 3"-rule in CC thats the advantages of leaping .... owns btw
    I think you missed the point of this whole thread. The fact that both Leaping and Beasts give the hormagaunts a 12" assault move confused some people.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast