tyranids...worse? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tyranids...worse?

in the old codex the gaunts had fleet of foot AND leaping, and you could make them cheaper. there were the mutation rules, hive nodes were a possibility, and instinctive behavior wasn't as big a deal.

any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by userpaladin
    in the old codex the gaunts had fleet of foot AND leaping, and you could make them cheaper. there were the mutation rules, hive nodes were a possibility, and instinctive behavior wasn't as big a deal.

any thoughts?
    Um...all that mutant crap was a pain in the ass. All things synapse was basically a moot point back in third...which is why Im glad they changed it. It makes it more balanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Some things got better and some things got worse. With the exception Biovores, I think it balances out for the better.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never played 3rd ED, but I heard bivores used the large blast template and could fire separately as opposed to all firing together?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genestealers got fleet of claw and you cant instant kill Warriors... I'd say the nids got better.
    As for the biovores, they werent impressive in the last edition either, and synapse, well, synapse became simpler so I dont have any complaints there.
    The whole mutations system got thrown away, but honestly, it was far too easy to abuse that system, and you can still costumize your army in tons of ways, so its not really that big a loss.

A lot of people miss their scythe gaunts, but really, you can still make swarm armies, just not as grotesquely huge, which might be for the best game balance wise, and when you think about it, a slightly smaller but overall faster swarm isnt a bad trade off.

Lets not forget the options for Godzilla armies or the all stealer armies, these were made possible and more plausable, without opening up for serious abuse, as really open army lists tend to.

In short, I think the nids got better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

So do I, we have a lot more options now, the easy to abuse mutant rules are gone and all the medium nids got better, even the biovore is still good, it's no longer a no-brainer as it was now it's a precision wielding weapon of warfare.

+ Reply to Thread