Without Number? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Without Number?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without Number?

OK, this rule just confuses me. I read it two or three times, and well am confused. Dose the squad come back after it dies, or just the singular unit, or does it come back at all. And if it dose come back how can someone destroy your entire force?:huh:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Once the brood is completely wiped out it begins at the edge of your deployement zone and acts as normal. If it is wiped out again than the same thing happens all over again. For games using victory points you get the points for each time you destroy the squad.

There is no way to destroy the squad so it does not come back, though taking away all synapse creatures renders them all but useless as it stands...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I can't see this as a very effetive choice except in certain missions. Even with FoC you will still only move a max. of 12" per turn and it may not be possible to get back into CC on larger boards. All you have is extra VP for the enemy in that case.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I figure the without number rule would be handy for a more shooting-oriented nid army. A unit of gaunts with (eg.) devourers and without number can act as a screen against assault, and then move onto the board again next turn to help shoot up the unit that just killed them. I think devourers in particular are quite handy since they have the longest range of any gaunt gun, making it easier to get straight back into the fray.

The synapse thing may suck, but all you need is a zoanthrope with synapse to babysit the board edge and that problem is solved.

BTW, I'm not so familiar with the rules (don't own a tyranid codex/army), but don't gaunts that fail their instinctive behavior test have to move towards the closest creature with synapse? If that's the case, wheres the problem? Any broods without number who arrive on your board edge will probably be heading exactly where you want them to go anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Devourers on gaunts are really just wasted shots 4's to hit and 6's to wound. I tend to think that without number is a waste as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its good with lots of synapse and agents a fellow nid user if he has a genestealer army cause that happend to me and he just quit!
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Without Number would be great if you are defending a postion, because they woulnd't have to go very far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger2005
    Devourers on gaunts are really just wasted shots 4's to hit and 6's to wound. I tend to think that without number is a waste as well.
    With living ammo it's technically about the equivalent of 5's to wound.

I remember someone did the statistics of the value of each of the gaunt weapons point for point, with and without the strength upgrade. I can't find the exact stats but the devourer-gaunts without the strength upgrade didn't turn out to be that bad.

...but that's getting off topic. Bascically, I think that devourers on gaunts are generally not a bad weapon, and are the best choice of weapon for gaunts that have without number, simply because of it's superior range.

Going further with the idea, I imagine that gaunts "equipped" with without number should be generally small units. That way you can be sure that you are not going to have an expensive gaunt unit that simply never takes enough casualties to get wiped out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think, if you kill the squad completely once, it counts as destroyed, but will come back for the hell of it, over and over again to aid the rest of the swarm. So, you might have to mark it somewhere, which squads have been killed. I dunno, there better be a Tyranid FAQ, because in the UK website, that's the only one which isn't there! Maybe they're doing it now?:yes:

Anyway, why would you take without number? Gaunts at 9pts each, which, when the entire squad is destroyed(turn 3/4), will return to the board edge, where they will have no synapse, and take another 3 or 4 turns to get back into the action. Turn 8 is gameover, as far as I know. 5 pointed spinegaunts. better. you can have 2 squads of 16 spinegaunts instead of 1 squad of 16 termagaunts with without number, which would be wasted in the end.

alien smily.

funny.
    "If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast and Deadly
    Anyway, why would you take without number?
    Because in a sense, it is equivalent to getting a second, identical gaunt squad a discount cost? So long as you don't lose the second squad, you don't actually lose out on points.

Gaunts at 9pts each, which, when the entire squad is destroyed(turn 3/4),
    If the unit is small and/or you ensure that they are the first thing your opponent will try to kill, then those gaunts could end up dead within the first or second turn.

will return to the board edge, where they will have no synapse,
    A cheap zoanthrope would help, as would any long-ranged synapse units you would normally have hanging back.

BTW, would the gaunts have to test on the turn they arrive? They aren't on the board at the begining of the turn, so I can't imagine they would.

If they don't have to, then that turn they arrive could be spent fleeting into synapse, or towards a terrain piece for some lurking.

Furthermore, don't gaunts who fail there synapse test have to spend the turn moving towards the closest Synapse creature (which will invariably be where they want to go anyway)? In which case, what is the problem?

and take another 3 or 4 turns to get back into the action.
    Which is why they could be more useful if you chose to play your tyranids more defensively, ie. lots of shooting. Besides, Gaunts with devourers will be able to get back into the action alot faster than other gaunts, thanks to their longer ranged guns, and very few missions encourage the enemy to remain in their deployment zone.

5 pointed spinegaunts. better.
    In some ways, yes. But an opponent who knows that a squad of gaunts have without number will be much more hesitant to kill them early, which you can use to your advantage if you're cunning enough.

you can have 2 squads of 16 spinegaunts instead of 1 squad of 16 termagaunts with without number, which would be wasted in the end.
    As I said above, that 1 squad of 16 termagants is actually more like 2 squads.

You are also forgetting that having a squad of gaunts up the back is not completely useless. They are still capable of taking/denying objectives, like by holding table quaters (cleanse) or shooting up units in your own deployment zone (recon). They'd also score points in seek and destroy for being alive (thus neutralising the points lost in killing the first unit - which the enemy would have had to devote resources to in destroying, remember), and can take objectives placed close to their deployment zone in secure and control missions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast