Regeneration...is it worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regeneration...is it worth it?

My 'Nid friend got quite excited when he saw the Regeneration bio-morph for the Carnifexes, but seriously do you nid players think that it's worth its whopping points cost? I mean its double reinforced chitin...do you really re-gen 2+ wounds in a game to get its points back?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to say. Yes 30 points is a huge sink and only getting a wound back on a 6 is tough. The only way I can see it working is to give that surprise value when he has your 4 or 5 wound CFex down to its last wound and the next turn you roll one or two sixes. Imagining how difficult it is without Exorcists and huge amounts of ap1/2 weapons to even damage a Fex, the growing back of wounds could be a morale crasher for your opponent.

On the flip side though, in most cases I have been in if my opponent wants to kill my CFex, then he focuses on it exclusively. He doesnt pink it here and pink it there. So your regen wont really have any chance to kick in if he sends two exorcists and a Leman Russ after your lonely Cfex.

If they dropped the points to 25 I might consider taking it instead of extended Carapace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regenerate. I may be a bit of a noob to this hobby, but I know that if your gonna make a powerful fex then regenerate is a great morph.

When ever I play against my freinds they like to stay away from my powerful characters(or any of my nids) But with my maxed out cc fex I can easily take out there ork and Eldar army. Depending on who your playing against it could be usefull. If you play against weaker long rang characters like the orks you might not need it though.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Not really, generally it rarely works and even if it did work the 'fex would probably die shortly after.
    Last edited by The_Outsider; January 12th, 2006 at 14:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Do the math. A fex has four wounds. So you really only have 3 chances to regenerate as I don't believe the last wound can regenerate (I may be wrong). That gives you only a 50% chance of regaining one wound for 30 points! That and next turn the fex is most definitely dead. Sure, you could get lucky but I always play the odds. Regenerate is useful the longer the wounds stay on the fex as he can roll for regeneration every turn for every wound. But fexes are typically priority targets so don't get too many turns to roll for regeneration.

So if you look at the points, you can get one or two possible extra wounds for your regeneration or you could buy six more wounds of spinegaunts. Tyranids are all about the number of wounds you can field. But if you're playing a Godzilla army then regenerate may be a more useful option as keeping your fexes alive is more important.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    Do the math. A fex has four wounds. So you really only have 3 chances to regenerate as I don't believe the last wound can regenerate (I may be wrong). That gives you only a 50% chance of regaining one wound for 30 points! That and next turn the fex is most definitely dead. Sure, you could get lucky but I always play the odds. Regenerate is useful the longer the wounds stay on the fex as he can roll for regeneration every turn for every wound. But fexes are typically priority targets so don't get too many turns to roll for regeneration.

So if you look at the points, you can get one or two possible extra wounds for your regeneration or you could buy six more wounds of spinegaunts. Tyranids are all about the number of wounds you can field. But if you're playing a Godzilla army then regenerate may be a more useful option as keeping your fexes alive is more important.
    First off, Regen should ONLY be used if you buy both the +1 Wounds and the +1 Save. Otherwise, don't bother. With 5 total wounds, once you lose about 2-3 wounds there is a decent chance you'll get at least one of those wounds back next turn.

Regen is a double edged sword of sorts. One the one hand, it increases the surivability of a fex. But at the same time, it encourages the player to shoot everything at it so it dies in 1 turn.

However, this can play to your advantage. If the opponent thinks, "I've gotta kill that thing in 1 turn or else it will start rolling for gaining wounds back" then that means he isn't firing his Heavy Weap at anything else.

This happened in one game I played once. The Chaos opponent was able to bring down my 5 wound 200+ pt fex on turn 1 (after I shot because I went first), but he had to fire everything at it. 3 Oblitorators, a defiler, a dreadnought, etc. etc. It was big loss, but my other 5 MC were still standing untouched. When you considered the next 2 turns were turns of slaughter for him, those 30 points don't sound so bad anymore.

At 1500 pts or less, take Old One Eye. True, he's cc only but he gains a wound back every turn, guarenteed and even can come back if he dies. The enemy can't really ignore him forever.

The stats for regen are as follows assuming you have 5 total wounds:
    If you have 4 wounds left prob you'll gain back 1 - 16%

If you have 3 wounds left prob you'll gain back at least 1 - 30%

If you have 2 wounds left prob you'll gain back at least 1 - 42%

If you have 1 wound left prob you'll gain back at least 1 - 52%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    Problem is you can't look at it that way. 6 wounds on a spinegaunt does not equal 6 wounds on a carni.

Shots from a bolter squad into spinegaunts will be much more effective than into a fex. The "to-wound" is a low number and they get no save.

Try those same shots you needed to kill those 6 guants against a fex with a +1 Sv bonus. You will probably be extremely lucky to even inflict 1 wound.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

Gernally regenerate is not worth it.

The amount of firepower a fex can absorb with +1 armor save and +1 wound is nuts already.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not worth it, ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Pointswise regenerate is twice what you pay for reinforced chitin. So it has to work twice to pay for itself. It is obvious to buy both so you have that much more chance to roll that 6. It works best if your 'fex survives more rounds wounded than if heavily pounded in one or 2 rounds. So you smart opponent will either 1) ignore it or 2) throw everything at to kill it as quickly as possible. This choice will come down to what threat it poses. A slow lumbering CC 'fex will take 3 turns to reach him. By that time it will be in rapid fire range. Your standard Gunfex (VC & BS) is an immediate threat. Your opponent will have to assess whether to throw everything at a tough 'fex or the advancing horde.

People rate things on how many points a model destroys. This is one of those highly subjective strategic descisions "Will I save more points lost if the 'fex goes down or my 2 'stealer broods". The 'fex can definately take a lot more firepower than a 'stealer brood which is much more deadly. Then there are the counter arguments against it with 'stealers behind cover & a size 3 'fex standing out like dogs balls on the playing field. Has anyone had any playing experience with it?

Either way regenerate is a gamble... like most of Warhammer.

:yes:
    Last edited by Zerling; January 12th, 2006 at 01:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast