Beggining Iyanden... any pointers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x3)

Beggining Iyanden... any pointers?

Well in a week or two my beggining army for Iyanden would be:
    1x Avatar
    2x farseers
    30x wraithguards
    3x wraithlords
    3x d cannons
    2x wave serpants
    6x vypers
    10x striking scorpions

those are what I would have model wise. Though only thing is that I have no experience with WraithLords/Guards at all and dont have much clue on how I should use such an army.

Any Iyanden players have any tactics, tips, stratedgies, pointers or such to help a starter?
    Anything I should be worried of? Anything I should know?

Heh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Well, you certainly don't start from scratch :yes:

Those are just about the same units I would include in my Iyanden army.

I am, however, a little unsure as to how you are gonna deploy your forces (the total number of points you could field with the mentioned models is staggering).

I usually deploy one squad of Wraithguard, concealed, fortuned and joined by a farseer and avatar. Points permitting this could be a full 10 man wraithguard group. This squad is so amazingly durable that it is not even funny (rivals a seer council) and packs a punch in cc. Thus I use them as my centre.

Then I use a squad of Wraithguard in a waveserpent. Often with a warlock with enhance. That squad usually speeds off towards the most expensive tank on the table

I am not so sure about your d-cannons. They are a great unit, but frankly they do best when the enemy comes to you. Since your wraithguard are short ranged murder and we all know what a Wraithlord is like in cc you can expect most people to try to keep a healthy distance. Therefore you might risk having them not do anything at all since the action takes place elsewhere.

Still, a D-cannon is a cheap model to place first in order to push the enemy further back

You have two farseers, and as mentioned earlier they do a good job of making concealed wraithguard very durable. They can do the exact same thing for your scorpions. But my suggestion would be to infiltrate the scorpions whenever you can and let the farseers join the wraithguard squads.

As for tactics... you have an army with a fear factor that is nearly unrivalled. Three wraithlords and a heap of wraithguard will put the vast majority of opponents on the defensive. Use that to your advantage.

The main drawbacks of an Iyanden army is that the individual models are so expensive, and that it is a somewhat slow army. You have vypers you can use to harras the enemy, warp spiders also do very well in that role. A Falcon could be a nice addition since it fits the overall theme of being very durable (and expensive :rolleyes: ) and it has all the speed you could want. But most importantly it will add the thing you lack the most: long range firepower.

Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One note about the DCannon is that it is correct to say that the enemy will need to come to you for it to be useful. But if you think about it you will have a lot of opponents who need to charge (nids, orks) and some that will because they want to (SW, CSM). If given the right cover the DCannons will let you control a large chunk of the field and to me this is invaluable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Wraithgaurd are good, but they hardly can make an army by themselves, especially in 1000pts. What you need are them plus loads of supportign units. Eg:

Farseer: (Add whatever)
    5 Wraithgaurd
    5 Wraithgaurd
    Wraithlord
    16 Gaurdians: Warlock + weapons platform
    8 Warp Spiders
    Dark reapers

Very quick example there, wasn't though through too much, but your get the jist. I don;t play with this type of army but i do know wraithgaurd are powerful but hardly powerful enough to take on an army by themselves.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

There are 2 schools of thought on wraith guard,-

Foot sloggers - larger squads foot slog up the field, - carefull cos they really have a pants range, you need fire support, this can come from varrious sources, the accompanying psycher shoul hjave conceal as a must

Mechanised - not uncommon, squads of 5 in a serpent accompanied by a warlock, in this case other powers are acceptable - zoom up - leap out and shoot

HQ - Farseer is first choice - you need warlocks with each wraithguard squad, dont bother with spirit seers appart from fluff purposes- the upgrade is not worth it

D Cannons - as window licker pointed out - are not for Iyanden - the bulk of your army has a very short range and is low in numbers, even assault based armies may well sit back and out shoto you - D cannons will not come into play, myuch prefer to give fire support from the wraith lords and war walkers or falcons (not particularly vypers - the fact they are single shot means they dont realyl cut it if equiped with BL so they can not perform anti tank duties but are OK with star cannon)
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    HQ - Farseer is first choice - you need warlocks with each wraithguard squad, dont bother with spirit seers appart from fluff purposes- the upgrade is not worth it
    Not true at ALL. For 8 more points you get warlocks with a 1 point leadership upgrade, and the ability to join ANY squad they want. That alone is very valuable, especially when you start taking aspect warrior squads. Conceal on a squad of Reapers can pretty dramatically increase their survivability, while at the same time give you the freedom to place them right out in the open to give them a better line of fire as they're always getting that cover save. Enhance or destructor on a squad of Scorps or Banshees is quite useful as well.

As for tips, I'm going to add my voice to the No D-Cannon crowd. D-Cannon's are great in a USF list, but with Iyanden you need range, speed and durability. You've automatically got some strong durability with the Guard and the WLs, so the worry is speed and range. You can try to cover both or focus entirely on one. Personally I go for a bit of both, one unit of Guard on foot getting shadowed by a Farseer and flanked by the WLs, then one unit of guard and one unit of Banshees in Wave serpents for mobility. Infiltrating scorpions work well and Spiders do a very good job of forward cover for the advancing "meat Shield" squad.

Also, do not overlook the special character of Iyanna Arienal. For a pittance, you get an 18" singing spear, Enhance and destructor and one of the toughest characters to kill in the game due to a truly insane invulnerable save. I usually put her in the squad in the Wave Serpent and she tends to pay back her points very well in most games.

While I like Vypers, I'm much more fond of the Falcon for Iyanden as it's durable, every bit as serious a threat as the WLs and Guard, and very mobile heavy firepower. And if you really want to go for some support platform choices, grab a few vibro cannons. For an Iyanden army, they are valuable not because of the number of casualties they can cause, but because they can force lots of pinning checks at a good range AND at a penalty. It's a lot easier for your Wraithlords and Wraithguard to survive when they can't be shot at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x3)

Thanks for the comments and help. I'll get into discussion with those in a bit. but right now...

Well I just produced this list a while ago... It is a full Mech and is specifcally not against non-mass army:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...008#post561008

send me your comments!

+ Reply to Thread