Stacked Psychic Scream tactic? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stacked Psychic Scream tactic?

Wondering if anyone has had any success with having anti-leadership check tactics.

Normally Lead on most chars is high and making checks are pretty much guarenteed.

However, if you gave 3 zoanthropes and 2 Hive Tyrants the Scream, you have a nice -5 Lead radius for ANY leadership check. Works well with combined with the Horror and would just rock after close comat resolution. Also can be comboed with targeting priority.

Anybody have any comments about how well this strat works?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a fairly old tactic, its called the Psychic Choir.

I've read a bit about it, and while the -5 Ld looks pretty good on paper, the fact that you have to spend 2 HQ and 1 Heavy choice to do it makes it sem impractical.
    There's also the question of wether or not you really want the enemy to break that fast, with that big a modifier, a unit of hormagaunts can break just about anything, but usually its better to stay locked in combat to prevent the enemy firing and then sweep into the next unit in the enemy's assault phase.

But against certain things, like the Ultwe Seercouncil, it should cause some real headaches, if you give one of the Tyrant Shadow in the Warp instead, you wont have to worry about psychic powers.
    It could probably work well for a Tyranid shooty army, causing panic tests with a -5 would trouble most armies, and in some way overcome the fact that a lot of armies can outshoot the nids, I'd like to see the panic tests a Devil Tyrant with Psychic scream could cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just recently used this tactic to great results, my tyrants both had scream and with my zoanthropes I have all 3 scream, 2 of them warp blast and the last one synapse, they sloshed through some eldar and tau, just be sure to keep them near eachother without making them too much of a target.
    From the unspeakable cold of the intergalactic void, an immeasurable alien intelligence moves ever closer. Barren husks of countless star systems lie in its wake.

The first tendrils of the Great Devourer, a single entity stretching over light years of space and controlled by the immortal Hive Mind, have probed our galaxy and found it rich in prey.

It has begun to feed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I created the original "Psychic Choir" post and I have had mixed results implementing it.

Getting a -5 to LD is an awesome benefit but I found it difficult to get all five models in range to make it really effective. Plus, spending 50 points on it can be a waste against some armies. SM armies in particular are not as effected by it as other armies. It was effective against Necrons as I was able to wipte out a few units here and there by reducing their LD 10 to a more reasonable number. Armies like IG could be torn apart by this.

I always put it on my tyrant's because they're always in the thick of combat, but since I don't field Zoans much that's all I have. I have found that a -2 in addition to the outnumbering bonuses nids will undoubtedly get can easily put you in the -4 to -5 range. Anything more than that is a waste IMO. Once the LD of the model drops below 7 you receive diminishing returns for each point of negative LD. A -4 will put every army below the magic number of 7 so I'm fine with that. Plus the 30 points you save is good for a few more Gaunts.

The one great feature about Psychic Scream is it's omnidirectional. It's not an ability that must be directed at a specific unit, it affects all units within range. Most people disregard a negative LD modifier until they lose a CC. By the time they realize how devastating it is it's already too late. If your opponent sees two models with it they may disregard it as a minor nuissance. If they see five models with it then it may become more of a priority. I like sneaking it into combat myself.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I had some success against an Eldar force with this - I broke my opponent's Seer Council and forced his leader to flee directly into a brood of 'stealers. Very funny.

I'd also try it against Dark Eldar or Tau, but not SMs or Orkses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

My original post: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ighlight=choir (Psychic Scream - Choir)

After performing a search I rescind my comment about being the first post of this tactic. But my opinions of its use are still valid.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

+ Reply to Thread