Bio-monstrosities From Ca'04 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, I will admit up front that I haven't fully read the rules yet, but I have skimmed them. What are people's impressions?

Based on these rules in CA'04, it looks like you can custom build these wicked beasties from the ground up. Well, I recently managed to acquire an Exocrine and Malefactor model. Do I have to use the book-listed stats or can I make it up for the most part.

For example. Rather than use the 130 point Exocrine they list, can I instead change out the weapon for something else? Would that still be WYSIWYG? These are old, discontinued models after all.

What has to be done to allow the creature to have Mass Points? Neither the Exocrine or Malefactor seem to be listed as "gargantuan" (i.e., having Mass points). Can I just add them and increase the cost? Or are the models not big enough or something?

And what's up with the Malefactor carrying up to *11* wounds of 'nids? Why 11? Can I just increase the cost to raise that to the *12* it seems it should be?

Thanks in advance for your input.

<span style='color:orange'>And the lands shall burn from horizon to horizon.
    Just as the sun cannot be prevented from rising,
    Neither can the inevitable be halted or avoided.
    Hive Fleet Infernus shall scorch all worlds in its path.
    </span>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Short answer: No, you may not change any rules.

Long answer: You can do this, but only in private games with your opponent&#39;s consent. But there is NO CHANCE that such a change would ever be allowed in a tournament or GW store.

And what&#39;s up with the Malefactor carrying up to *11* wounds of &#39;nids? Why 11? Can I just increase the cost to raise that to the *12* it seems it should be?
    Unless GW changes the rules in a Q&A, eleven means eleven, not twelve.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, first, what&#39;s with the snippyness? Of course I understand the concept of 11=11. Jeez. I asked specifically if the rules allowed for modifying this number for an increase in cost. I didn&#39;t notice if it was in the rules or not.

Second, I was under the impression that all the bio-monstrosities were not official list models and required permission to field and not in official tournaments regardless. Is this not the case? If so, what exactly were you trying to say?

Also, are you correct that the rules do not allow you to custom create there creatures? I could have sworn I saw rules for how to calculate stats, values and costs. What gives?
    </span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you find an opponent who lets you use the damn thing then yes.... as long as its WYSIWYG and isnt called a malefactor or exocrine. So you couldnt just change the stats of the ones listed but you could go through all the steps and make up your own and just use the fig if its WYSIWYG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rules allow you to customize, but they still have to be WYSIWYG. Of course, with old, outdated weapons and probes of all sorts sticking out of the monstrosities, I&#39;m sure you can pass them off as something else. If it were me, I wouldn&#39;t mind so long as you told me/gave me the stats ahead of time. But it will be up to the person you play against.

You can carry up to 11 wounds worth of units plus an extra amount for each mass point you have (like 2 or 3 extra) at an increased cost. Its all in CA&#39;04, in a grey box on the right hand side, if I remember correctly.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Originally posted by Scorching Dawn@Dec 2 2003, 20:13
    Also, are you correct that the rules do not allow you to custom create there creatures? I could have sworn I saw rules for how to calculate stats, values and costs. What gives?
    There are rules for creating own bio-monstrosities, but often the point cost of such chapter approved monstrosities is cheaper than if they were self made with the CDR - because the games development team decided that they don&#39;t abuse the rules, and by default everything created with the CDR or VDR has an anti-abuse point cost increase compared to creations which were checked and accepted by the games development team. Therefore you cannot modify them with the CDR, they are no longer compatible to the CDR. You can create a similar creature, even a precise copy, but that would be remarkably more expensive.

What you were talking about is modifying these CA creatures, but that&#39;s like modifying e.g. a land raider with the VDR. You can create a land raider with the VDR, but that one would cost 300+pts. If you want to use a land raider variant, then you would have to use the 300+pts chassis and add the weapons, you cannot use the 250pts original land raider and add weapons as you please.

OK, first, what&#39;s with the snippyness? Of course I understand the concept of 11=11. Jeez. I asked specifically if the rules allowed for modifying this number for an increase in cost. I didn&#39;t notice if it was in the rules or not.
    No offense, but it was a typical "I don&#39;t like the rules, i want to change them. Of course i will make them fair..." post. The problem is that only the Games Development Team has the authority to decide if a rule/self made thing is fair or not.

Second, I was under the impression that all the bio-monstrosities were not official list models and required permission to field and not in official tournaments regardless. Is this not the case? If so, what exactly were you trying to say?
    Many tournaments don&#39;t allow VDR and CDR, but they sometimes allow chapter approved optional rules/creatures/vehicles. Generally, if something is published in chapter approved or made with CA rules, then there is a way higher tolerance towards it than towards entirely self made things or self made modifications at a point cost that the one who made it considers as &#39;fair&#39;.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ArchonAstaroth@Dec 2 2003, 134
    No offense, but it was a typical "I don&#39;t like the rules, i want to change them. Of course i will make them fair..." post. The problem is that only the Games Development Team has the authority to decide if a rule/self made thing is fair or not.
    No offense in return, but... hogwash. Let me ask you this, then: What do you bother playing &#39;nids? Or do you only use the non-mutable generic list with no upgrades or mutations? No using the back of the codex for you I guess.

Playing &#39;nids means customizing them. That&#39;s their nature. To say I shouldn&#39;t bring it up here is rediculous. Of course there should be discussion on how to modify these big guys. That&#39;s the whole point of it, isn&#39;t it? That&#39;s what the rules even intend (or why publish them).

To claim I was whining is just plain odd. Worse, how can I be complaining that I don&#39;t like a rule I admitted to not yet reading completely? Or yet to play for that matter?

You entire take on this topic is perplexing to say the least.
    </span>

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Yes, i use the mutable genus tables - but i don&#39;t think that we need more options to change them.

To say I shouldn&#39;t bring it up here is rediculous.
    I did not say that.

Of course there should be discussion on how to modify these big guys. That&#39;s the whole point of it, isn&#39;t it? That&#39;s what the rules even intend (or why publish them).
    You can make your own monstrosities (even copy existing ones except for the details that you want to change), but you cannot modify existing, CA ones. Otherwise someone could say "I&#39;ll take my carnifex and add some acid spray from the CDR"

To claim I was whining is just plain odd.
    Well, i adressed that you can&#39;t change the stats at will in my first post in this thread. Basically that&#39;s all there is to say about it.
    I admit that i was quite sarcastic in my reply to that part with the eleven. I was refering to this part:
    to raise that to the *12* it seems it should be?
    Perhaps i have read too many threads like "crisis suits should have BS4&#33;" or "GK should have access to rhinos&#33;".
    Such options would be written directly in the rules of the respective unit. Offering an unspecified point cost increase is often part of these threads. The kind of posts which i described above has a certain similarity to yours, both are about changing stats or equipment, both (often) include an unspecified point cost increase.

jwu

Closed Thread