monolith teleporting troops and unit coherency - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

monolith teleporting troops and unit coherency

When you teleport troops with a monolith each model is deployed 2 ps from an access point.There is only one access point on a monolith so what happens if you canĀ“t deploy all your models (units with more than 12 models) ? Since the monolith is not a transport vehicle you canĀ“t keep them inside.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The simple answer is that you can. You can easily fit a 20-man warrior unit out of the portal, and the only things that you can send through the portal are normal base size, or come in very small units.

You can fit them. Remember, all that you need to do is measure from the very edge of the hole (not even the actual portal) at the monolith door, and to the very edge of the model's base. In this instance, 2" is a lot further than you would think.

Trust me, it works.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunisia
    The simple answer is that you can. You can easily fit a 20-man warrior unit out of the portal, and the only things that you can send through the portal are normal base size, or come in very small units.

You can fit them. Remember, all that you need to do is measure from the very edge of the hole (not even the actual portal) at the monolith door, and to the very edge of the model's base. In this instance, 2" is a lot further than you would think.

Trust me, it works.
    I can't see how you can "easily" do it as you indicated. The bases are 1" wide so you can only have two-models deep to be within the 2" disembarkment zone. If the portal is 2" wide then the most you can have is 12 models. If you'rer playing only a part of the base must be within 2" (not how I read the rules) then you can fit a few more if you squeeze them in. I have yet to find a way to deploy a full Warrior squad through the portal and typically just squeeze them as close as possible and take it as a bending of the rules.

I take the meaning of the rule to prevent you from gaining extra movement for desembarking, not as a limit to the number of troops you can disembark at once. So I see no problem bending the rules a tiny bit.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A word of warning. The next time you get a strange unexplained reading on your Flagship's scanner and sensor arrays, don't dismiss it as a glitch or ghost. The Necrons are a real threat now, and they are out there, biding their time, waiting for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tdh6002
    Did you even read this thread before responding with a useless link to the FAQ? We all know how troops must deploy from a Monolith, the question was how to place them after they've deployed.

Let me clear it up for those who refuse to read the thread:

If a unit of 20 warriors moves and is then teleported through the monolith they all must be within 2" of the portal opening. Because they have already moved they cannot move further as clearly indicated in the FAQ noted above.

The question is how do you place 20 models with 1" bases into the deployment zone of within 2" of the portal itself?

My hypothesis:
    I am assuming the portal itself is 2" wide. I don't have the model handy to measure exactly. So, the area directly in front of the portal is a 2" x 2" square deployment zone. With 20mm bases you should be able to squeeze 5 models into that area with only a tiny bit of the outer four bases outside the 2" range (I think this is legal). The deployment areas to each side of the portal are right triangles with a base and height of 2" each. Since there are 2 triangles this is another 2" square. You should be able to fit another 5 models into that area also. So, now we have only 10 of our required 20 warriors in the 2" deployment zone. I don't see how it can be done legally.

I have noticed anywhere where it indicates if the entire model or just part of it's base must be within 2" of the opening to be correctly deployed. I have never been able to place all 20 Warriors within the deployment zone. I place as many as I can legally and then bunch the rest around them as close as possible.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    I can't see how you can "easily" do it as you indicated. The bases are 1" wide so you can only have two-models deep to be within the 2" disembarkment zone. If the portal is 2" wide then the most you can have is 12 models. If you'rer playing only a part of the base must be within 2" (not how I read the rules) then you can fit a few more if you squeeze them in. I have yet to find a way to deploy a full Warrior squad through the portal and typically just squeeze them as close as possible and take it as a bending of the rules.
    Check out the picture of the unit embarking or disembarking at the bottom of pg. 62 of the 40K rule book.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    Did you even read this thread before responding with a useless link to the FAQ? We all know how troops must deploy from a Monolith, the question was how to place them after they've deployed.

well yes.. i did, but i misread it :wacko: ,so dont make conclusions before you now the facts
    Last edited by Tdh6002; January 18th, 2006 at 17:21.
    A word of warning. The next time you get a strange unexplained reading on your Flagship's scanner and sensor arrays, don't dismiss it as a glitch or ghost. The Necrons are a real threat now, and they are out there, biding their time, waiting for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the rules models that cannot disembark are lost.What happens in the case i can t teleport all the models since they not really disembark?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tdh6002
    well yes.. i did, but i misread it :wacko: ,so dont make conclusions before you now the facts
    I didn't draw any conclusions. I posted a question, a following statement, and a sarcastic remark. I apologize for the sarcasm. I was actually hoping you had discovered the answer to our question.

Junglemasta,
    If what you quote is correct then any Warriors that could not be deployed within the 2" would be lost. I don't have the BGB with me but I think you're referring to when the vehicle is surrounded by the enemy. If you're forced to pile out of your vehicle and can't because of enemy troops in the area or impassable terrain then they're dead. But I don't remember reading anything indicating they also die if they cannot deploy within the 2". This would be ridiculous since the new terminator models (at least GKTs) are on the larger bases thus making it even more difficult to fit them into the deployment zone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's doable. I just did it.

I would post pictures, but all of my digi cameras are out of batteries.

It was harder than I thought, and does take time and artful placement, but it can be done.

Easiest solution- take smaller squads. I don't beleive that anyone would want to take 120 warriors and only 1 Lord in any army, so you can take smaller units to send through. The chances are that: A) you are trying to get out of combat. You are likely to have taken at least one casualty here. You are trying to get into combat. Anything you particularly want to get your warriors into combat with are things like tau or IG, where you could smash any number of them with 10 warriors. I once had 2 units of guardsmen pumping las at my warrior squad for a couple of turns, before being charged, and i took one casualty. Tau, no casualties in combat. C) You are trying to manouvre your warriors into a better position. In this case, stop being a smart-ass.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast