All Warrior Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Warrior Army?

I searched a little to see if this was posted before, so if it was I apologize!

I was thinking today what it would be like to run an all-Warrior army... Taking all options for Warriors into consideration, that 72 units! As long as you keep biomorphs down, you could have a truly fearsome force to deal with. Everything would have 2 wounds, and to morph them, it doesn't have to be mad expensive. Base Warriors are pretty nice as is! You could set up the Elites for shooting, Fast Attack with CC, and the HQ's could go either way. Then whatever troops you want (I'd take a lot of spine gaunts, just to tie up opponents shooting).

Besides all that, the entire army is Synapse!

It would be really expensive to actually buy, but with the right deals its not impossible.

Also I don't have the codex with me (at work) so my numbers may be off, but what do you guys think? I really think I'd like to do this!

sakenpo@ptd.net
    Lower/Lesser rating always ships first!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Just how many points do you intend on playing? The Fast Attack Warriors will be especially expensive. Even keeping them slim on the biomorphs, they'll be around 40 points a piece. With maxed out squads that's over a thousand points already.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ostsol
    Just how many points do you intend on playing? The Fast Attack Warriors will be especially expensive. Even keeping them slim on the biomorphs, they'll be around 40 points a piece. With maxed out squads that's over a thousand points already.
    Well to be honest I do like to play larger battles with Tyranids, 3000 and up. But even at 2000 points, I think you could fit in some nice sized squads, even if you don't get the full 9 units in each. My point is that I think this could be pretty lethal if you upgraded just enough without going nuts.

Everything about this idea is expensive, but I think you would get your money and points worth out of it. Like I said, everything has two wounds and is immune to insta-death, fearless in all regards, etc.

I think it would be worth it. Really too you could take a lot of base Warriors and still do well I think. They are pretty good on their own. But keeping morphs to a minimum on some squads would leave you with points to spend on the FA Warriors. Besides you have some room to play with costs when it comes to troops (40 pts a piece for Spinegaunts at minimum)
    sakenpo@ptd.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I have not found a single configuration where Warriors are worth their points and offer any benefit over an existing models besides Synapse. I only take them when I need more synapse, otherwise I can leave them all at home.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    I have not found a single configuration where Warriors are worth their points and offer any benefit over an existing models besides Synapse. I only take them when I need more synapse, otherwise I can leave them all at home.
    Warriors are the "middle of the road" unit. They aren't as fragile as the smaller bugs, not as tough as the big ones, and can be tailored to pretty much hold any role. That there is probably their greatest strength.

A lot of people complain saying they are expensive, but not any more expensive then most elites out there. And don't forget that essentially you get 2X wounds because warriors cannot be instant killed.

The catch 22 is that they aren't worth fielding without some upgrades, yet to make them viable it does get expensive.

However, they are IMO useful because of their flexibility. They can effectively fill 3 different types of slots. And they can be designed to be decent shooters, close combat, or a hybrid.

I would not load up on them though. I usually just take 1 squad of 4 to fit in with my current theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

In a recent game I saw a nid player field fifteen warriors for both HQ choices and all three elite choices, leading an army of genestealers. His opponents problem became either shoot at the stealers who would destroy him in combat or gun down the warriors who were kitted to take down troops with their guns. (2500pt allowed for more than enough of those stealers to get on the field with the cover of the warriors...)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have 9 currently, and I almost always use them all, in two broods of 4 and 5. Just the Synapse alone is great, and since they are so flexible I can tailor them as necessary. Plus as said above, they aren't really anymore expensive than other elite troops, and their benefits far outweigh the benefits offered by other armies, IMO.

I like all the responses, please keep them coming!
    sakenpo@ptd.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Laplace
    Warriors are the "middle of the road" unit. They aren't as fragile as the smaller bugs, not as tough as the big ones, and can be tailored to pretty much hold any role. That there is probably their greatest strength.

A lot of people complain saying they are expensive, but not any more expensive then most elites out there. And don't forget that essentially you get 2X wounds because warriors cannot be instant killed.

The catch 22 is that they aren't worth fielding without some upgrades, yet to make them viable it does get expensive.

However, they are IMO useful because of their flexibility. They can effectively fill 3 different types of slots. And they can be designed to be decent shooters, close combat, or a hybrid.

I would not load up on them though. I usually just take 1 squad of 4 to fit in with my current theme.
    Warriors are the jack of all trades and the master of none. My argument is that no matter how you kit them you already have another unit that performs the role better for the same cost. IMO the only reason to use a Warrior in place of another model is for Synapse or an Elite slot.

Need a rending CC Warrior? Two genestealers have the same number of wounds and save but offer more attacks at a better WS and I for less points than a Warrior.

Need a heavy-weapon Warrior? Use a shooty Carnifex instead. You get 2 fewer wounds with the carni than 3 Warriors (smallest squad) but the stats are better and the weapons hit much harder. Plus a Carni has two heavy weapons to the Warrior one.

Need a fast CC Warrior? Use a Ravener instead. Similar stats and cost and a Ravener can come in a unit size of 1 to keep costs lower.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, it appears that most here don't really like the warriors all that much. Maybe it's a bad idea after all.

I have an idea for you though. How receptive would your opponants be to proxying? Espcecially if you are just trying something out. That would be your best shot at figuring out if the idea would work. Around here we proxy all the time when trying out new things. It makes no sense to spend a lot of money on something and then find out it doesn't work like you thought it would. At least that's how we see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaqure
    Wow, it appears that most here don't really like the warriors all that much. Maybe it's a bad idea after all.

I have an idea for you though. How receptive would your opponants be to proxying? Espcecially if you are just trying something out. That would be your best shot at figuring out if the idea would work. Around here we proxy all the time when trying out new things. It makes no sense to spend a lot of money on something and then find out it doesn't work like you thought it would. At least that's how we see it.
    Great things about Warriors too, if I have Tyrants on board they ignore the Warriors, not always considering that they help hold the Nids together. Those who are in the know, will target them quickly. And army of all Warriors though offers them too many things to shoot, all of relatively equal importance. And Synapse will never fail, all over the place like that.

Yeah I was going to try that out with my nephew, he's 13 but a good player (and doesn't whine about stuff like my older friends ( ), anyway he's always up to trying stuff out like that.

I'm going to try it ASAP, and post my findings here.
    sakenpo@ptd.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast