Infiltrating Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infiltrating Chaos

I am currently on a bit of a losing streak and I am wondering if anybody here has any advice on what I am doing wrong. The three armies I tend to play the most are Grey Knights, Necron, and Chaos. I am just about tied W/L with the Grey Knights but have yet to beat either the Necrons or the Chaos. The Necron army just doesn't stop coming forward, VoD lord and immortals just pop up and eat my troops, Destroyers eat anything, glancing and blowing up my heads, making a FW squad simply not be there anymore, or killing the only guns in my army that make them slow down a little, the suits. Flayed ones just rush at me. Wraiths. Destroyer lord. Monolith. No matter what I shoot at, I am wrong. To make it more insulting, the Necron player is the unluckiest person alive. He goes turns failing every single WBB. I have seen him fail morale checks. Despite this, and regardless of what I do, I have never come close to holding him to only a solid victory.
    The Chaos army has 17 models in it. 14 infiltrating marines, melta + powerfist, an insane CC Daemon Prince (2 claws, lots of daemon gifts, sppikey bits), a predator, all lascannons, and a defiler, battle cannon, lascannon, havoc launcher. The vehichles have mutated hull, possession, and the defiler has indirect. Basically, the marines infiltrate onto my doorstep and serve as meat shields while the lord runs like a mad man and and destroys anything he touches. Once my tanks get destroyed, which they tend to do rather quickly, I have no choice but to sit back and die. I cannot kill enough marines to get to shoot at hit lord before it is in close combat. Once it hits something, he doesn't stop.
    In thousand point games I bring 24 FW, 12 are in a fish, 2 normal suits, team leaders, with TL missile pods and plasma with HW multi, 2 fireknife El's, a railhead, and an ionhead.
    Help me.

Last edited by ITDP; January 18th, 2006 at 07:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Post your full list(exact equipment details) and tactics, its a bit hard to advise you when we have no idea whow your deploying, how your using XV8's, HH etc. Also whats the Chaos players troop set up he sounds a bit short on troops to me given the fact that min squad size is usually 5, infiltrate is usually easy to prevent by using deployment for instance and we need to know his Daemon princes stats and wargear cos depending on what he has got the advice will vary wildly.
    Also the Necron player sounds like he has a very expensive list what points value do you play against him cos he aint getting that lot in a 1000pts.
    One thing hits home straight away lack of low AP weaponry fireknifes are crap against marines and necrons you need Plasma and fusion. I would be interested to see the necs and chaos lists cos they sound very powerfull and the chaos in particular seems very tooled up with wargear, upgrades for 1000pts.Chaos players are renowned for making errors when equiping princes and lords as a lot of options cancel others out, is the HQ a daemon prince or a lord, does it have daemonic stature and daemonic flight etc.
    Give us what we ask and you will be helped.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; January 19th, 2006 at 02:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say get rid of the Hammerheads for some more battlesuits and broadsides. Also don't waste points on a HW multi-tracker, instead just use normal Crisis suits with missle pods, plasma guns, and MT. Mabie some drones would help slow 'em down, in exchange for some Fire Warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

For the nercs, put plasma rifles and fusion blasters on your crisis suits, and take a lot of em. Also a broadside or two I find to be good in a scenario versus necrons... take up more of a static stance than mech. Lots of JSJ. Pathfinders = yes.

I'm sure there's lots of different tactics that work, though >_>
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My army
    HQ
    Shas'el
    Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi tracker

Shas'el
    See above

Elites
    XV8 crisis suit team leader
    TL Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, HW multitracker

XV8 crisis suit team leader
    see above

Troops
    12 Firewarriors with Shas'ui
    12 Firewarriors in a Devilfish

Heavy support
    Ionhead w/ burst cannons, multitracker, decoy launcher, and target lock
    Railhead w/ SMS and same upgrades

Chaos
    HQ
    Daemon lord
    Daemonic speed, essence, strength, armor
    Dual lightning claws
    Infiltrate

Troops
    6 chaos marines with AC
    1 melta and a powerfist on the AC, infiltrating

6 chaos marines with AC
    same as above

Heavy

Predator
    TL lascannon with two sponsoon lascannons
    Mutated hull, daemonic posession

Defiler
    Battle cannon, TL lascannon, Havoc Launcher
    Mutated hull
    Against the chaos, I generally I try and keep my static FW in the back as a target and dance my suits around while my tanks keep moving and shooting and I eventually FoF the assaulty troops. Basically, his troops end up serving as hard to kill meat shield to protect his lord. No matter how much I throw at them, the lord starts so close he takes maybe a turn to get into close combat with something. I cannot get close to enough shots on him to to kill him, if I get any shots on him at all. His tanks sit way back and just unload on me while I desperately try to save my suits and troops. My railgun always fails to do anything to his tanks. Basically, his lord just flies up and eats me. I cannot stop it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I always take kroot. Why? I always take an all comers list, which must include something to help against infiltrators. Kroot help, a lot.

Tau have a tough time against necrons, it's no surprise you're having trouble there. Daemonhunters have a tough time against tau, should be winning consistently here. Look in murekhalir's thread for my large post, it might be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

necrons his hard...i played one in a tourny and he beat me.you should make your ion a railhead,they are plain better.and to beat the defiler i suggest a deepstriking helios
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I beat the chaos player. His lord was seperated from his meat shield courtesy of assaulting a suit and winning. Unfortunately, my railgun was there to say hi. So he died. Then I used a devilfish full of FW with EMP grenades to destroy (blow up actually) his tri-lascannon equipped predator. The defiler fell to a railgun. I used my kroot literally in a straight line across the board at the edge of coherency to mess up his infiltrating. Luckily there was a forest right in the middle so they got cover saves anyway.

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an idea on how to deal with Necron armies that have lots of Destroyers. I know it'll sound crazy but move up and assault his wariors with everything you have. Better to be in combat then getting shot at by the Destroyers. Oh, and I would change the list a bit. As was said before, drop hardwired multi traquers. I personaly would also take more Firewarriors instead of the Devilfish but that's me. Also, consider using human auxilery with EMP grenades instead of Firewarriors to get at tanks. They generaly tend to be ignored (until your oponent finds out that they have EMP grenades) so they can get a crucial kill in before biting the dust.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had plenty of experience against necrons, but more experience being owned by them. Here are a few tips:

- Firewarriors are useless. Statistically it takes 18 pulse shots to take down one warrior. Once the destroyers open fire, they wipe a squad from the board (if they aren't dead, they end up running off the board in my experience). Destroyers also have 6" more range than our firewarriors, so a smart player will take advantage of this distance. Take a few FWs as possible. If you plan on bringing a lot of FWs, take them in fishes.

- Close combat is not an option. Period. I've tried it with some firewarriors that were going to be screwed over anyway the next turn, and they do absolutely no good. Statistically it takes 36 firewarriors punches to kill a necron warrior. Twice as bad than shooting. Not an option.

- Bring as many plasma rifles and fusion blasters. As many as possible.

- Maybe bring Broadsides for your heavy support; they can cover your forces from a 'Lith and use their plasma rifles later on in the battle. A Railhead quickly loses its effectiveness, since it is using Burst cannons/SMS (18 shots statistically) rather than Plasma Rifles. This is one instance where the Railhead loses to the Broadsides.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast