Kustom Force field: I10 ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kustom Force field: I10 ?

Does the kustom force field confer to our troops I10 when we are assaulted from outside the force field ?
    We have that:
    1) odex: It confer cover, so rule books stays that we can used I10 if you are assaulted -> we get I10
    2) codex: It says no effect in CC -> we do not get I10
    3) rule book says "Some units count as being in cover all the time because of psychic abilities or WEIRD FORCE FIELDS" -> we get I10

Thanks

Last edited by Folding; January 18th, 2006 at 21:10.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I see it, the force field extends 6" and only works for hits coming from outside that: IE, it counts as having a piece of cover 6" away from you. The enemy aren't chargin into cover, they're charging through it as the orks aren't actually in the cover itself- merely behind it.
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kustom Force Fields are amazing, making rail guns glance really makes my tau friend fume. Haha its fun when all my orks get there!
    “Krump first, assk qweztions neva'!"- 3000 Orks
    5/4/2
    Dark Eldar- 1500 1/0/0
    "the very gods for vengeance cry”- 3000 Dwarves
    3/1/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

The rules say that it provides a cover save. The effect is just like the armour that DE Mandrakes and Tyranid Lictors have. It gives them a cover save, so regardless of where they are assaulted from, they count as being in cover.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Just to make things complicated, I've always played that since it doesn't provide cover in close combat it doesn't provide the bonuses of cover in close combat, so no I10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ostsol
    The rules say that it provides a cover save. The effect is just like the armour that DE Mandrakes and Tyranid Lictors have. It gives them a cover save, so regardless of where they are assaulted from, they count as being in cover.
    Well, the force field only gives cover saves for shots coming in from over 6" away. (At least, that's how I've interpreted it) And seeing as how people charging you are going to, at the crucial point, be right in your face, I would think that using it for I10 is unfair.
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

The force field confers a cover save, it does not provide cover. Thats the way its worded out. So i'd say no, you do not act as if your in cover when assaulted. It doesn't make sense logically, it doesn't make sense fluff wise, it doesn't act like that rules wise. So I'd say no, it does not.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Don't interpret it, because no interpretation is necessary. Read it literally. It says that all models within six inches get a cover save. It does not say to imagine a 6" radius ring of cover, nor does it say to treated it as area cover. It's simply says that the models get a cover save. As such, regardless of where the attacks come from, even it they come from within the area of effect, the models being targetted get a cover save.

Regarding its effects in close combat, it depends on how one interprets the difference between cover and cover saves. Does having a cover save mean that one is in some type of cover? This is important because the rules for the field do not say that the protected models count as being in cover, despite getting a cover save. If the existance of a cover save does not mean that the unit is in cover, then the protected models do not get I10 when charged. The same goes for Tyranid Lictors, too.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"3) rule book says "Some units count as being in cover all the time because of psychic abilities or WEIRD FORCE FIELDS" -> we get I10"

I don't have the rulebook yet, is that an exact quote of the rule? If so It would seem that you do get the benefits. But then again judging by the way the KKF rule is worded (NO effect in cc), I would say otherwise. NO EFFECT means NO EFFECT, it does not mean "you get no cover save but you can count as being in cover for the purposes of who hits the other bloke first". By a pure logical standpoint, the cover rule represents the difficulty of the enemy reaching your unit through all the terrain thats getting in the way. The KKF I picture to be similar to the one in the Phantom Menace used by the Gungans, i.e the slow moving infantry had no problems at all walking through it.
    Also, doesn't it only count as I1 for your enemy when assaulting into cover, if they had to take a difficult terrain test to actually reach cc? Since the KFF isn't difficult terrain, again I see another arguement saying that there is no Initiative benefit to the force feild.
    AKA Grabnutz
    Moderator over at http://forums.relicnews.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the force field only works outside of 6'' from the model, combat IS within 6"...no field effects.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast