Librarium Online Forums banner

Agoniser and Wych weapons?

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Blue Meanie 
#1 ·
Agoniser works as a seperate weapon right, or does it simply upgrade the hiting chance to armor-peneterating 4+ with vehicle glance on 6+?
Do I have to roll seperately for the Agoniser?
Are wych weapons free for wyches ?
What kinds of wych weapons are there?

#2 ·
wych weapons are a squad upgrade. they don't actually take the form of weapons.
what they do is give you bonuses in cc. look in the codex under wyches to see the benefits and the points cost of wych weapons. (as of the latest codex printing there is only one kind of wych weapon)

as they're an upgrade they don't replace your other weapons, so standard wyches still come with ccw and pistol (or special weapon) and succubi can still use whatever you give them, ie agonisers. look in the wargear section of the codex for the special rules for agonisers

#3 ·
Err. . . you know it does say all this in the codex.

The Agonizer is a separate weapon, not an upgrade to a weapon, and therefore it is used exactly like any other close combat weapon.

Wych Weapons have their own cost, but they are not individual weapons. In the old version of the DE codex they were, but in the update they were revised such that they are neither specifically represented on individual models, nor are they payed for individually. Instead, the squad buys them at a fixed cost per model in the squad (sorta like how grenades are bought). For more information either check out a codex or the codex update document posted at GW's site.

#5 ·
sorry bout this. while we are on the topic of wych weapons, i am still having questions about it. it says units that attack against the wyches counts as their WS being halved. does this mean when they attack back? or does it mean the wyches halves their weapon skill so mostly wyches hit thigns on 3s? im so confused. people say different things.

#6 ·
dw dw dont worry i found the answer it was in the De faq all along

#7 ·
Agoniser works as a seperate weapon right, or does it simply upgrade the hiting chance to armor-peneterating 4+ with vehicle glance on 6+?
This strongly implies that you are under the assumption that to hit rolls of 4+ autowound and ignore armour with an agonizer. That's not the case.

dw dw dont worry i found the answer it was in the De faq all along
Actually, that FAQ entry is frequently misunderstood. Wych weapons work only one way, they only halve the enemy's WS for his attacks against the wyches but he defends himself with his full WS.

#9 ·
Drachon Drew said:
I've always played with the unit fighting the wyches halving their weapon skill throughout every combat. But if their are two different units fighting the wyches only one squad's weapon skill is halved.
The FAQ is extremely confusing, but the concensis opinion is that an opponent's WS is cut in half only for attacks made against wyches, and not for attacks made by wyches. The wording on wych weapons in Lilith's entry supports this interpretation. There are, however, die-hards that still argue that its halved both ways.

#10 ·
I've been told that it's for the wyches attacks, nothing else. However, harlequins have this, and it works both ways.

#12 ·
ArchonAstaroth said:
This strongly implies that you are under the assumption that to hit rolls of 4+ autowound and ignore armour with an agonizer. That's not the case.

Actually, that FAQ entry is frequently misunderstood. Wych weapons work only one way, they only halve the enemy's WS for his attacks against the wyches but he defends himself with his full WS.
I was reading my codex today, at lunch, and read that the agoniser does ignore armor saves just not invulnerable saves. Is this correct or am I reading wrong?

So in my mind it should go like this

Roll to hit
Roll 4+ to wound
enemy roll invulnerable

then wound or don't wound. Is this correct?

#15 ·
Gralph: the faq is poorly written (what a surprise), and deals with the situation where a wych squad and another DE squad jointly attack a single enemy squad. The quesiton was whether the non-wych squad gets the advantages of the wych weapons because the wyches are in the same combat. The answer was no. However, in making that ruling, the faq writer inadvertently implied that the halfing of the weapon skill occurred both ways.

The basic wych weapon rules, however, were clear before the publication of the faq: the enemy's weapon skill is halfed only in attacks made against wyches, not in the wyches' attacks against them. If you insist on a literal interpretation of the faq, then you have the anomolous situation where WWs work only one way if there's only wyches in combat, but work both ways if there's a wych squad and a different kind of squad in the same combat. Most people (in my experience) agree that it is most likely that the faq contains a typo, and do not insist on a literal interpretation.

This point has been argued over and over again. I'm too lazy to go looking for the thread(s), but I'm sure you could find at least three or four without too much trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.