My first Orks, any advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first Orks, any advice

I am brand new at this. I have some figures I am painting but I don't have a rule book and I haven't played a game. I've always been into art and fantasy and one day on the spur of the moment I bought some gaming figures just to try painting (not nessicarily to play) as I've always wanted to try it. I have a topic in the Space Marine section as I first bought some marines. The guys there gave me heaps of good advice on how to learn the rules and where to buy stuff. I also decided to buy some Orks to play against my marines.

I'm about halfway through my Orks so far (they still need workin places).
    What do you think? I enjoyed doing the checkers on them.

I put cuts in this guys helmet and arm.

I had so much fun painting these little guys

These are the marines I have painted (see the space marine thread for more pics)

I would appreciate any advice on collecting/painting and playing with orks. I would love to start playing soon.

I'm in a band www.jael.com.au

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... I came in here expecting a noob list to critique, instead I got... some incredible paint jobs!

When you do your next ones, try lightening the contrast between the light and dark patches on their skin, in cases like the left three's left arms. But yes, those are... really good!
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow these are really great... I'm also start to paint orks for the first time, but mine are no where near yours! You might want to look into basing (putting sand, etc.) these guys.

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Your orks are absolutely great! Nothing bad to say about them. You may want to add a layer of ink to the skin to smooth out the highlights, but the layers are noticeable only upon close inspection.

For the space marines, I'd recommend thinning the pain more. White is a b*tch to paint, and requires many very thin and liquid layers.

About collecting orks, I'd recommend starting with a bunch of boyz and a warboss. Then some killa kans and another squad in a trukk. That should bring you around 600-700 points.
    After that, the fun really begins since you can really get into the orks' variety and tailor an army that you'll enjoy.
    Last edited by AKM; January 20th, 2006 at 22:13.

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

Your Orks rule! I like the guy with the cuts. makes him look battlehardened!

Like AKM said, though, you're Space Marines could use some thinner paint. try dapping your brush in water before you put on the white. Im assuming you had to put loads of coats on because you painted from a black undercoat?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Awesome paint job:w00t: You're an inspiration to paint better. Good job and I hope you stick to gaming with these guys!

Would love to see you paint some nobs and stuff.:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

wow, wasn't expecting that. Like darkhand I came in here expecting to see an army list and then getting some tips from it (starting orks soon). Instead I get to see some beautifully painted models. Good job. Hope you decide to stick with the hobby, you've got the painting down already.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Those Orks look great. You're ahead of me for sure. i just got back into the game, was fiddling with it in 3rd Edition but not really serious since 2nd Ed. Like you, I decided to start with Orks and Marines, my old favorites. I had to bring back Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa, of course, and now he looks much beefier in his new incarnation as the Warboss figure with the choppa and bare head. i also bought a nob, a Dread and a wartrak, and I am winning an Ebay auction for 2 kannons. I just need a couple of boxes of boyz and i have 600 pts to start.

I haven't dared to start painting my Imperial Fists yet--I hear yellow is at least as difficult as white, if not more so...

I'm anxious to assemble them so I can start painting and get them on the table!
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have now based my orks nd i can't believe how much better they looked. It made a huge difference. I also played my first introduction game at my local store. I think I will go more into orks than marines now they are fun.

In regards to painting, because I have been an artist for a while, painting orks came naturally. In art you have to try and sense he volume of shapes and layer and shade them accordingly - find the ridhes of the face and cheeks and lighten them and stuff. With minatures, it's all done for you, you just have to paint by numbers sort of. Th only real challenge is working in the space about an inch! But I have really expensive brishes for that.

So I wasn't instantly good at painting orks, I had a lot of practice painting (plus I painted the marines first and when I got to the orks, I was a lot better).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here they all are.

I have made a little scenery also.

I also won a ork warbuggy of ebay for $8 of ebay (about $12 US)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast