Necron Formations??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necron Formations???

Has anyone got any other ideas for a formation besides the Phlanax?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

I don't really have a specific set up or formation. For me it all relies on where the opponent places his units, sets up his units, what the terrain is like, how he moves, and how the game plays out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I find either the one-wing or double-wing phalanx to be the most effective as it keeps the most troops within resurrection orb's influence. You can easily use a refused flank maneuver with the Monolith and VoD making a few key teleportations.

Tactic:
    Deploy your Monolith on the middle-left. Deploy two really juicy squads on your right, these are the bait. Using two really large warrior squads typically get's the enemy's attention. Deploy your lord within 6" of one Warrior squad. You're trying to get your enemy to deploy as much as possible across from the Warriors.
    On the first turn you teleport a squad of Warriors from the right through the Monolith to the left side of the board. Your Lord teleports the other squad of Warriors tothe left side also. If it all goes well you just left half your opponent's army sitting on the far side of the board with nobody to fight. Leaves you a few rounds to pick them off as they run to you from across the board.

I didn't come up with this tactic but it worked very nicely when used against me. I had a whole unit og Genestealers that couldn't get to anything all game. Good move AKM. That won't happen again...

Necrons have very high mobility when you use teleportation effectively. Learn to use it effectively and you'll be a very tough opponent.
    Last edited by LordCreampuff; January 23rd, 2006 at 16:48.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A similar thing can be done with The Grand Illusion ability (Deceiver)

I had one of my opponent's fire warrior squads and his HQ crisis suits doing nothing but getting charged by scarabs...
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally stay away from phalanxes. Normally I depend on a highly maneuverable list that is very hard to take down. Normally I have destroyers, scarabs, heavy destroyers, wraiths, and immortals with lord.

This lets me move away from combat, strike devastating blows, take a fair amount of punishment, and lets me dictate much of the game. The only downside is that the unit sizes are normally small, expensive, and can be blown apart if there is not adequate cover. And my warrior count is low, but that normally only becomes a factor at the end of the game, or when I'm probably going to loose anyways.

Then there is the tomb spyder shielding every unit you want kept alive for at least the first turn.

You can also take an assault list. Flayed ones (a lot of them), wraiths, and the minimum warriors can really wreak some havoc by turn 2. Just infiltrate flayed ones, turboboost wraiths, and enjoy the slaughter.:cry: It's just so beautiful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Tactic:
    Deploy your Monolith on the middle-left. Deploy two really juicy squads on your right, these are the bait. Using two really large warrior squads typically get's the enemy's attention. Deploy your lord within 6" of one Warrior squad. You're trying to get your enemy to deploy as much as possible across from the Warriors.
    On the first turn you teleport a squad of Warriors from the right through the Monolith to the left side of the board. Your Lord teleports the other squad of Warriors tothe left side also. If it all goes well you just left half your opponent's army sitting on the far side of the board with nobody to fight. Leaves you a few rounds to pick them off as they run to you from across the board.
    Hmm this is very interesting. Iv'e never tried this before. Sounds like an effective tactic that doesn't cost any extra points! I'll try it next game I play with necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

There are three ways to use Necron teleportation:

Defensively
    Use it to remove units from CC and allow extra WBB rolls. The lord and Monolith are used to support other units instead of attacking directly. This use of teleportation is the safest method and is only used when necessary to reduce the number of tactical decisions.
    RISK: Low

Offensively
    Use it to put your troops into a better attack position. The Monolith is typically dropped into the enemy lines and begins teleporting troops into the midst of the enemy. The lord will typically VoD a squad of Immortals around to provide fire support. This use of teleportation can be devastating to an unprepared opponent or to the Necron if they are.
    RISK: Very High

Tactically
    Use it to add mobility to the entire army. In this case teleportation plays a major role in the tactical ability of the army as a whole. It is used to refuse flanks and shift the focus of the army at a moment' notice. This use of teleportation requires advanced planning and good tactical sense to work effectively.
    RISK: High

If you learn to use any one of the methods well and you will succeed in most battles. Learn to combine them and you will be unstoppable. The main problem is the most effective possibilities are also the most risky.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used the VoD Lord/ Immortals tactic to great effect.

Turn1: They VoD next to my opponent's Battle Wagon, take down 282 points worth of the wagon and its krew.

They would have been fine, were it not for the 5 burnas, 3 scorchas, 20 boyz, 6 tyranid warriors, 10 gaunts and a 300 point carnifex.

The Lord survived, having taken only a single wound, and so...

Turn 2: Jumps back to my lines, helps out with a couple of lictors in CC, picks up a 20-man warrior squad/

Turn 3: Jumps behind 12 beefed-up genestealers and a broodlord, wipes out the genestealers, and makes the opposing team decide they've had enough and give up!

Result!

Also, I used a 'lith to drop a couple of squads of warriors into an enemy tau's lines. Devastating.

Now I pretty much only take teleport armies or legion.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

+ Reply to Thread