Where to go next... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to go next...

So over the last couple of months, I've been picking up a Necron army. The other day, my local store had a pretty good sale, and I picked up a good lump of a force. As it sits now, I have 1238 points wrapped up in the following:

1 Necron Lord
    10 man Necron Warrior Squad
    3 Wraiths
    5 Destroyers
    5 Scarabs
    1 Monolith

Another box of Warriors with the 12 Necrons and 3 Scarabs will put me at 1490, so basically a 1500 point force. What I am looking for here is what do you thinkk would be a good place to put my last 500 points. I'm partial to Flayed Ones, just based on model and concept, as I have never fielded them, (or any Necrons for that matter) I'm at a loss as to battle field performance.

Any information/advice will be of great assistance, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

happiness is a temporary chemical imbalance of the true state of mind

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

That's a pretty tidy little force. I'd make bulking out the troops your next priority (this will up your scarabs, too). It'll help with phase-out, boost your points and give a more rounded army. I'd probably follow them with immortals.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Immortals do stand out in my mind as a good one to go with. However, 2 things stop me... the first one is the cost, $10 each = $100 for a squad, not terribly enticing, the second being if a moment of weakness came up, and I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket, my store only regularly stocks 4...

So Immortals seem a good choice, how would Flayed Ones stack up in this force though?

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Well either one would be 2nd place to the warriors. And the immortals price is pretty startling. Maybe start with a unit of 4 immortals (minimum size?) and then you can add on as you want to. Can't comment on flayed ones as I don't really use them but several other threads discuss their value. At the moment your force could go either way, shooty or stabby. I don't know how your regular opponents are but once you have extra warriors on hand (to reach that 1500pt marker) then you can try some as proxies for either unit and see which works for you. This ususally helps a lot but give each unit at least 2 chances to prove themselves.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Add another destroyer so you have 6 (2 squads of 3), at least 1 tomb spyder and some more warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider
    Add another destroyer so you have 6 (2 squads of 3), at least 1 tomb spyder and some more warriors.
    Only problem here is that my FA slots are already full, and the extra Destroyer would put me over. Tomb Spiders do intrigue me though, I'd be curious to see how it'd perform on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need quite a few more warriors, at least 2-3 more boxes of them. This will give you the scarabs you need to fill out the unit (they are only really useful in a unit of 10).

Then, I'd investigate another Lord, and some immortals- the VoD combo can be amazing for taking out things like HQs or tanks.

beyond that, a bit of HS wouldn't go amiss. I have never used Spyders, but I have had good experiences with Heavy Destroyers, so long as you can prevent them all from getting shot in the first turn.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would go with the heavy d's or some immortals, also you can always find if someone here doesnt want their old models anymore and would sell them to you for a way lower price than buying them new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Nilvaryn
    So over the last couple of months, I've been picking up a Necron army. The other day, my local store had a pretty good sale, and I picked up a good lump of a force. As it sits now, I have 1238 points wrapped up in the following:

1 Necron Lord
    3 Wraiths
    5 Destroyers
    5 Scarabs
    1 Monolith
    The extra box of Warriors is a must-have. I never field units smaller than 15 Warriors for firepower and teleportation reasons. Other than that you have a standard 1500 point NEcron army.
    I don't care for Necron CC units at all. Wraiths are very expensive and their small unit size means they can easily be wiped out in one turn with concentrated fire. Once they are wiped out they get no WBB roll and are gone for good. I much prefer Destroyers and Scarabs in my FA slots. I have never personally fielded flayed ones but from what I've read they are OK units. They are slow and with no ranged weapons they can simply be avoided. There are only two times they are effective. If you deep strike your monolith and teleport them into the midst of the enemy they can work well. If they are backed up by a squad of Pariahs their terrifying visage ability really healps them out. But this option is very expensive.
    I try to keep my Necron force as a shooty army and typically use teleportation to stay away from CC as much as possible. Necron CC units can potentially hold their own in most CCs but will most likely not do well in them.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

+ Reply to Thread