"shoot The Big Ones" Stupidity - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is up with the "shoot the big ones" rule for Tyranids? As most people have figured out, it makes no sense in most situations, and cosiderable weakens 'stealers and other supremly important elements of a 'nid army. Does anyone know why GW added this pointless and stupid rule? Does anyone know how we might be able to get it eradicated? i am eager to hear anyone with justifications for this rule, when Imperial Guard and Orks can screen important units with whatever they want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell, you can screen a wraithlord with guardians, but you can't screen ripper swarms with carnifexes. Weak. Shoot the big ones used to be just that in 2nd Ed 40k....you could pick out the big nids over the little guys (anything not on a 25mm base was considered "big"). Made sense back then, but now it's a huge handicap that doesn't make any sense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response. Guardians can't screen a wraithlord. IN order to screen a model, it must be at least half the height of the model you want to screen. Besides, If you play nids properly, you can use the shoot the big ones rule to your advantage. Also, you still can't shoot through close combat, so once your initial rush hits their lines, they can't shoot you anyway.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

STBO originally was supposed to stop the gaunt-stealer horde army. Without it, you could have tons of stealers screening quite a lot of stealers, even though these models are the same size (concerning the base). Without STBO, we couldn't have our cheap gaunt hordes anymore, or stealers would cost 20+pts.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides, If you play nids properly, you can use the shoot the big ones rule to your advantage
    Hoblit, if youve figured out how this rule can be used, please tell me. I play a SM player for almost every battle, and after one game where my troops actually got into CC because of a forest, he refuses to put enough cover on the board. My stealers never get into CC. If you know something i dont, id be glad to be enlightened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW HOBLIT!!!

You must be onb to something here. If you wouldnt mind enlightenng the rest of us on how we can make a rule that turns our units into walking targets that are easier to hit then a pink elephant in your bedroom then i would greatly appreciate it. Because i have scratched my brain on this one and i have not come up with anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I play a chaos space marine player a lot and untill my units get into CC its almost as bad as Polish cavalry charging German Panzers(that really happened by the way). So if there is a way to modify or eradicate this rule then sign me up because it is just crap and doesnt have any logic to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Hoblit@Apr 17 2003, 07:16
    Besides, If you play nids properly, you can use the shoot the big ones rule to your advantage.
    Interesting... well, if u happen to know anything at all, mind SHARE it? :blink:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm, scare them with your cheap carnifex and kill them with the 5 pt spinefist gaunts? No, can't think of any advntage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... in assault u can at least screen ur own units right? For instance a gaunt screening a hive tyrant?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast