Are necrons a fairly unpopular army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are necrons a fairly unpopular army?

Im prolly starting necrons as ive always liked their models fluff, and in fantasy i love undead. So after a hard battle between picking Nids or necrons i decided for necrons. So just wondering, are they fairly unplayed? Do less people play them than nids for example?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just from my own experience and what I've seen on the boards, yes. They aren't really played all that much, but I have seen about 10 new members in the past week join up. I find them to be very fun, and have a lot of different kinds of army lists. They are even good at cc, if you make a list that works out. (like a wraith wing)

I have 1 necron player (me) and 4 (!) nid players at my club. Well, if you take all the people, then necrons are played 9%. Now there is no way to tell you that there really are only 9% necron players, but that is the way it is where I play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Necrons aren't a real popular army, but they are still a fair amount of players that play Necrons; my friend being one of them. I think that Tyranids are more popular then Necrons but I could be wrong. This is just from looking around the bordes and in my local area.

Anyway...
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Necrons aren't that popular, but can be very effective when played right. They are very forgiving and have many powerfull units: Destroyers, Immortals and the Monolith, just being a few.

They are best played shooty, with a Lord or two.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

It seems that no one at my club plays Necrons besides me and one of the staffers and I don't agree with him on a lot of philosophical issues, like having fun with an army vs. making it powerful. I argue that I don't want to take a Monolith and he keeps trying to convince me that I should, for some odd reason... Anyway, many people find the fact that the Necrons are so forgiving of tactical mistakes boring as well as the tedium of painting the models and the low variety of units/wargear choices to take. There's that and the fact that since their army variations are few and far between, it doesn't take long for people to catch on to how to beat them. These are just a few of the reasons but I'm sure there are many more.

Personally, I'm working on another army to use in addition to my Necrons...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-they're fairly unpopular, but more popular than orcs, either inqisition army, any individual marine chapter/ craftworld/ chaos legion, or anything weird like lost and damned, harliquens, or armored company.

-also, a very good army for newbies.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRabbit
    It seems that no one at my club plays Necrons besides me and one of the staffers and I don't agree with him on a lot of philosophical issues, like having fun with an army vs. making it powerful. I argue that I don't want to take a Monolith and he keeps trying to convince me that I should, for some odd reason... Anyway, many people find the fact that the Necrons are so forgiving of tactical mistakes boring as well as the tedium of painting the models and the low variety of units/wargear choices to take. There's that and the fact that since their army variations are few and far between, it doesn't take long for people to catch on to how to beat them. These are just a few of the reasons but I'm sure there are many more.
    I agree with you, I think playing a competative Necron list would be boring. Your units would be pretty Vanilla.

Correct me if i'm wrong:

Monolith
    2 x Squads of 3 Destroyers
    Immortals with Lord and Veil of Darkness
    2 x Squads of Warriors of 16-17 each.

What else do you need?
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is your first 40k army, then I strongly suggest 'crons, simply because they are fairly easy to play.
    As for popularity purposes go, at my LGS there is one necrons player out of the about 30 regulars!

HPA

Records as of Jan 1st 2006:
    Blood Angels: 10-2
    Biel-Tan Eldar: 1-0
    Necrons(Recently sold)

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

As said necrons make a good starter army, but when played well they can be sickenly hard, they have lots of abilities other armies dream of.

They are very resilient and have very few (if none) general units (i.e good at everything), they aren't quite as elite than the eldar but sport some amazing units.

At my local GW to my knowledge only me and one other person plays necrons.

Necrons also (IMO) have some of the coolest models and awesome fluff.
    Last edited by The_Outsider; February 4th, 2006 at 11:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

For awhile (when crons first came out), just over 50% of the players at my GW store used em'. In my experience, they just get boring to play with after a few months. Their strategy is rather straight forward: Slowly march across the board with a couple lords and monolith (blasting away the enemy with destroyers and tieing them down with scarabs), until you get into rapid fire range and finish the game.

I've seen other armies out there loaded with special units like wraiths, flayed ones, and heavy destroyers, but they just don't seem to do NEARLY as well as armies filled out with warriors and a monolith.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast